“Great new boutique hotel in downtown Knoxville” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Oliver Hotel

You added The Oliver Hotel to your Saves list
The Oliver Hotel
407 Union Avenue, (corner of Market Square), Knoxville, TN 37902 (Formerly The Hotel St. Oliver)   |
Ranked #7 of 89 Hotels in Knoxville
Little Rock, Arkansas
“Great new boutique hotel in downtown Knoxville”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

The Oliver Hotel is a welcome addition to downtown Knoxville, which has several chain hotels but not -- until now -- a good boutique hotel. The Oliver just opened in June and is still working out a few "kinks," but we enjoyed our 4-night stay. Located in a historic building but with a thoroughly modern interior, the Oliver is on Market Square and just a couple of blocks from Gay Street, so downtown Knoxville's shops, restaurants, and cultural attractions are within easy walking distance. It's a great change from the Hampton Inn, Marriott, and other chains that previously have been the only options in downtown Knoxville.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Newport, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

This was such great little boutique hotel. It recently reopened after being closed for refurbishing. It is very quite and peaceful - we only saw other guests a couple of times in the lobby and there was minimal noise from the outside. Although the hotel is quite, it is only a few steps away from several restaurants, bars, shopping, and a movie theater. We really enjoyed our weekend stay. The only negative is that the lighting in the bathroom is not very conducive for the application of make-up and there is no full length mirror. We stayed in a King Suite and it was very comfortable. There were 2 TV's and a clock radio with an Ipod dock. The beds were comfortable with a bottom sheet and a comforter - there was not a top sheet so we had to keep the room very cool or we got really hot a night. The staff was very polite and accommodating. We did get a 20% discount through a deal through a social media outlet and this made the room more affordable. The rooms can get quite pricey otherwise. There is no parking with this hotel. We parked in a city garage around the corner from the hotel and parking on the weekend is free.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

This hotel is amazing! First time trip to Knoxville for a show at the TN Theater which is also amazing!! I stayed in the Market Suite and it was fit for a king. Staff and General Manager were incredibly friendly and accommodating to every detail. I stayed during the first week of re-opening since the remodel and wow what a treat!!! I will never stay anywhere but The Oliver upon my returns to the lovely, charming city of Knoxville.

Room Tip: Book ahead!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Morehead City, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

Went whitewater rafting in Gatlinburg and found the town to be too much. Decided to escape to Knoxville for rest, relaxing, and some good food choices. Stumbled on the St. Oliver hotel and was pleasantly suprised by this great little hotel. Couldn't have asked for a better location. The front desk staff was the most pleasant and helpful of any hotel I've ever visited. Accomodating and provided some great food recommendations. Our room faced Market Square. Bed was super comfortable. Bathroom was very stylish. Shower was great. The owners did a great job with this renovation. Every person we encountered from desk staff to cleaning staff was friendly and helpful. They run a great place and the St. Oliver will provide you a memory far different than the big box hotel chains. We try to frequent locally owned businesses during our travels and the St. Oliver is a great boutique hotel in the heart of Knoxville. Give it a shot.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

The staff was wonderful. They were very pleasant and informative of the history of the building, as well as the city. Our room was gorgeous, spacious, and clean. The bathroom was amazing with a HUGE glass door shower. The location was wonderful with all sorts of restaurants, shops, bars and music venues all just around the corner. There were only a couple of downsides to our stay at the Oliver. The first being that the lounge wasn't quite finished yet, so we didn't get to enjoy a drink in there; however, we did get to peak at it and it looked exquisite! The only other downside was having to leave. The Oliver is a must see if staying in Knoxville and theirs rates are comparable with or in some cases less than the chain hotels (Hilton, Crowne Plaza, etc.) in the area. We just happened to wander in on our second night in town and ended up talking them down $40 on a room and ended up getting it for less than our room at the Crowne the previous night. I cannot stress enough how much of a must see this great hotel in an equally amazing town really is.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Knoxville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

Although lacking in the eccentric charm of it's previous incarnation, The Oliver Hotel still has more personality than a chain hotel. Furthermore, the personal and enthusiastic customer service combined with the convenient location just off Market Square trump the price, which seemed a bit high ($110/night) for a queen room with basic amenities and a back alley "view" (note: the king rooms with better views go for around $250/night). The new decor was neutral and miminal (clean lines, lots of beige and grey -- peaceful, if a bit bland); the furnishings were also minimal, but very comfortable (nice bed with fluffy duvet, desk with chair -- could have used another chair); and there was plenty of natural light in the lobby, stairwell, and our room (this was a nice surprise -- made the room feel airy). There were no ice or vending machines when my husband and I stayed there, but the lovely woman at the front desk "hooked us up" with ice and sodas from nearby restaurants (that's what I meant by "excellent customer service" -- this person went well out of her way to make our stay more pleasant and comfortable).

The less appealing features of The Oliver Hotel were as follows: There seemed to be a lack of sound-proofing in the halls; we were not disturbed by other guests -- I think the hotel was fairly empty at the time -- but footsteps in the hall were rather loud and echoing. Also, the air conditioning unit was quite noisy; however, it cooled very well. And finally (a truly minor issue): The aforementioned fluffy duvet was an unforgiving stark white -- I actually worried that I'd spill something on it!

Nevertheless, we'd definitely stay here again due to the friendly, personal service and the convenient location.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

I stayed at the Oliver for a one-night business trip. I had never stayed at the hotel before the renovation, so I can't say how much it has changed, but I can say that it is now a beautiful, comfortable little gem tucked away in my favorite part of Knoxville. The hotel is clearly not entirely done - while I was there, workers were still finishing up some small touches in many of the rooms, and the lounge wasn't open yet - but my room was perfect in every way. The free wi-fi was a big help, and since I was travelling on business I didn't care about the lack of a spa or a pool.

However, the best part of the hotel is their staff - the front desk folks are amazingly friendly and even called up to my room after I'd checked in just to make sure I was happy. The housekeeping staff I met were equally friendly and shared some memories of what the hotel looked like before the renovation. Clearly everyone at the Oliver is working hard to keep guests happy. I can't speak highly enough of the hotel and I will definitely stay there the next time I am in Knoxville.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Been to The Oliver Hotel? Share your experiences!