“Ok business hotel” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 89 Hotels in Knoxville
Atlanta
“Ok business hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2008

Stayed at the Crowne Plaza Knoxville on a business trip three times in Feb/March. Basically an ok hotel. I'm not sure what other reviewers are talking about there being a charge for internet access. It was free and fast in the room. The beds were very comfortable and you get a sleep package (CD, ear plugs, and linen spray) in the room. On my last stay, the 80's era TV was replaced with a new flat screen, very nice. The room service menu is surprising good and the prices aren't too outragous.

On the negative side, the hotel is dated. The furniture in the rooms is old (except the beds) and the room with two doubles is very cramped. The bathroom is small. I liked that the tub/shower is one piece plastic so there was no mildew issues. The rooms are basically clean, but carpet needs to be replaced. Wear your socks (although I do in any hotel).

Service is good, especially room service and bar/coffee shop staff. I did have an issue where my boss booked our rooms for our second week. He didnt realize that Monday was a bank holiday and I didn't arrive until Tuesday. His credit card was charged a no show fee even though I had stayed the previous week, the hotel was a prefered property for our client, and I am a priority club member. The front warned of the charge when I checked in, but said that they could not remove it, we had to talk to the manager. After repeated messages for the manager (who was never available) my boss was still charged. It was finally resolved after multiple calls, but we were very disappointed that the front desk could not handle a simple matter.

• Liked — Beds, Room Service, 11th Floor "quiet zone"
  • Disliked — Dated rooms
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Pensacola Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2008

I recently had family emergency in Knoxville and had to stay overnight on short notice. Found the Crown Plaza thinking I should be able to expect a quality nights rest.
When I checked in, I told them I did not know how long I would be (aprox.1-3 nights), the desk clerk told me they were very full and I could have a room choice of the top floor executive room, or a smoking room with king bed. I opted for the exec. for the additional $35.The room was very nice, and a comfortable bed.however the only computer access was additional money.
First thing the next morning I phoned the front dest to let them know I needed to stay an additional night, and was informed by a different clerk I would have to move to another room, the room I was in had been reserved prior to my checking in, and the only thing available was smoking. I did not want to move to another hotel for only 1-2 more nights so I said ok.Well as soon as the elevator doors opened you could smell it. , stale old cigarettes.When the door to the room itself openedOMG, I could hardly breathe. Since I had been at the hospital all day, I figured all I had to do was fall on the bed and go to sleep. Wrong again, the bed in this room was so diffrent from the other one. It slept like a 15yr old motel six bed. My back ached for a week, woke up could hardly breathe because of the smells. Room next door had dogs(yep, they barked too ). I checked out that morning and checked in to the Hampton Inn 3 blocks away and was blown away. The service, the room and the bed were better than the Crown Plaza executive suite!!! The staff was exceptionaly friendly and free computers with internet, even a free breakfast!!
Yep and $80. cheaper.
Take my advise don't stay at the Knoxville Crown Plaza hotel if you can help it.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Eastern Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2008

I stayed here for business and was disappointed. Any hotel that charges for internet access in their "guest business center" obviously doesn't really care about making their customers happy. All I wanted to do was print out a boarding pass. The wireless in the room was free, but not the printer use in the business center. They had major storms the night I was in town. I was on the 9th floor and it sounded like a wind tunnel howling all night due to the location downtown and the building height. The parking attendant in the morning took 15 minutes to get my car. I was surprised because I asked them the night before how long it would take and they replied "2 minutes". About the only thing I liked in the hotel was the room service. A pretty good meal. I won't be returning to this property on my next visit.

• Liked — the food
  • Disliked — business service charges
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Louisville KY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2008

My wife and I stayed downtown Knoxville and stayed at the Crowne Plaza. The hotel is convenient to downtown, I-40 and I-75. The desk clerk was nice and checked us in quickly. The bellman prompted whisked our bags to the room. We were on the top floor executive level and the room was very tastefully done.
I loved the large flat panel mounted on the wall and the recliner in the room. I felt as though I was at home! The bed was comfortable and the room was very clean.
The only concern I have is with the tub/shower. It is ridiculously small. I felt cramped in the shower even with the expanded curved shower rod.
Overall, this hotel is nice and has lots of charm for an older property. The fitness center is nice with fairly new equipment and the buisness center is helpful on the executive floor.
I would stay here again.

• Liked — The flat panel TV and recliner in room
  • Disliked — The tub/shower is too small!
  • Stayed January 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Savannah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2008

This is a much older Crowne Plaza (I believe it was built for the World's Fair) and is definately showing it's age. Some of the other reviews had stated that it had been renovated however, I stayed at this property years ago and I didn't see any changes, especially in the public areas. ( they do have a new gym) Here are the pros and cons:

Pros:
Reasonable prices on all services
Decent service by most individuals
Free and fast internet service
Good underground parking
Great room service and decent food
Very comfortable beds
Super nice new gym and it appeared the indoor pool area had been renovated.

Cons:
Housekeeping problems (had to change rooms upon arrival, crumbs under desk and behind the headboard)
Room keys very easily became deactivated resulting in running up and down to the front desk
Very poor lighting throughout the property and rooms (my room had a vast array of inexpensive lamps with differant types of bulbs)
Tiny and garishly lit bathrooms with very small tubs.
A general tired feel to the place resulting from half dead flower arrangements, old furniture, outdated restaurant, dead flowers at the front entrance and old looking corridors.
Very noisy old heating and air units in the rooms. I had to turn mine off so I could sleep.

Again this is definately NOT a 4 star property and is barely a 3. Renovation is badly needed before this property reachs dump status. DO NOT pay full price for this property, you will be disappointed.

• Stayed January 2008
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kitchener, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2007

Stayed at the Crowne Plaza Knoxville in early September for the University of Tennessee home opener. A good hotel with great underground parking. The hotel itself was a little underwhelming for a Crowne Plaza hotel... but no complaints. The staff was friendly and most accomodating. About a 20 walk to Neyland Stadium.

• Stayed September 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2007

Booked room with a reward night through Priority Club, so I'm not sure of price. Got a free upgrade to 12th fllor executive club level. I think the only difference is access to Business Center, and no mini-fridge. But I didn't see other rooms, so can't say real difference. This is a renovated hotel, used to be Radisson. The location cannot be beat for any downtown activities. Easy walk to Old City, Tennessee Theatre, Market Square, Mast General Store and several restaurants. Starbucks in the room. Plenty of shampoo/lotion/body wash/etc, etc. Hair dryer in room worked. Plenty of storage space.

Super bedding and down cover, same as all Crowne Plazas. Real glasses, not plastic. Satellite problems, so couldn't rent movies. Great veiw from 12th floor, room 1213.

Staff very friendly and good service. Good water pressure. All appliances worked. Windows kind of dirty. Hi-speed internet. Thermostat on wall controls the wall unit. So no low/high fan on unit. It's just either on or off. Plenty of pillows. Standard Crowne Plaze Relaxation CD, ear plugs, eye cover mask, scented air freshner. Walls kind of thin when the neighboring room guests got "romantic" (hee). Their headboard apparently was up against our headboard with wall in between.

Elevator a bit of a wait. Valet parking, but easy to bypass. No cost to parking garage with easy access to lobby. Didn't dine there or use pool or lounge.

Overall, a very good experience.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — dirty windows
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Crowne Plaza Knoxville? Share your experiences!