“Very nice Marriott” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 89 Hotels in Knoxville
Alexandria, VA
“Very nice Marriott”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Very nice service at this Marriott. We only stayed for one night, as we were stopping to visit a friend on the way home from a long vacation/trip. Glad we stayed here, as we felt pampered. The bar had a nice menu for a late snack and drink. Nice view from the room. Fatih and Beverly were two very nice Marriott employees. We would stay here again on our next trip passing through Knoxville. This hotel is not directly downtown but a few blocks from Gay St. (main street). The Women's Basketball Hall of Fame next door. The free parking was a bonus.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Richmond, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Just returned from a 5 night stay. In Kville for a huge competition with about 15,000 people. The hotel was packed with kids of all ages and manners. Whatever I saw that would bother me as a business owner and staff, they took care of effortlessly and with a smile. Employees went out of their way to help.
Great location to the Knoxville Convention Center. Easy 20 minute walk.
The rooms were nice. The beds were super comfortable. Felt kind of foam-like. No springs poking me. Bathrooms were a good size. Everything was very clean. No stains on bedding or towels.
Our room had 2 entry doors. One door and the windows faced the open lobby and it was very loud with all of the late night fun of our huge group. I would assume that on a normal night, this wouldn't be an issue. The lobby is huge and has lots of nice sitting areas to enjoy a drink from the bar :)
Pool was heated and clean - even with all of the kids!
I can't say enough about the staff of this hotel. Marriott Management --- these people deserve an award!

Room Tip: If very noise sensitive, ask for a room without a "lobby view". The river views do not th...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

I travel nearly exclusively at Marriott. They've done a nice job with carpet, beds, furniture, granite in the bathroom. If you know Marriott, typical named hotels are Category 5 and higher. This one is category 4. The reason is - frankly - the building is in horrible shape. There is mold, the walls and overall structure seem 1950ish. The insulation is horrible (there's a kid's convention which makes it worse). The building itself looks like the Contemporary Hotel at Disney except this one is old, tired, and just yucky. I did not eat or use the gym. The Internet spotty at best, the lobby blah. Housekeeping needs work unless you like hairs on your sheets plus blood stains (at least it's dry).

If this was a Doubletree or Crowne Plaza, I'd understand as they are typically "dated." I'm surprised Marriott would keep it's name on this one - but that's why it's a category 4 which is typical for Courtyard or Spring HIll.

The Hampton and Hilton are both closer to UT and from the outside look nicer. But if you get a deal here, I suppose it's worth it. Not horrible....just...not Marriott standards.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Columbia, SC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I have stayed at this marriott countless times for work. (about one time per month for the last few years) I would normally say that the staff is great even though the hotel is a little out dated.

However, I came to check in at the end of a long work day and was told that the rooms I booked could not be honored due to a convention in town and no discount was offered. The nice girl at the front desk was very helpful but the assistant manager was more willing to book us at a Hilton across town than he was willing to accomodate our needs. Just got up to the VERY expensive room and there are blood stains on the mattress showing through the sheets...ewww...

My last stay here, the printer in the concierge louge was broken. I was told by the front desk that I could print downstairs for free. I was then charged almost 40 dollars to my credit card for printing. An honest mistake so I called and explained and was transfered to leave a message on a voicemail. A week later...no return call. Long story short over 45 mins on the phone 3 voicemails later it was finally resolved but took almost a month and a half to get a refund.

In my opinion business travelers should beware......and double check credit card statements!

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I completed a survey form earlier today for my stay, and I indicated: this is the worst Marriott I've ever stayed at. My opinion stands.

This property, according to an Internet search, was built in 1972. While it has been updated... It feels every bit that old. The rooms are poorly sound insulated with heavy traffic sounds from a road system that is not that busy. I could hear non-stop dripping noises. It got so bad over night I took a walk... Found a bucket on the floor above me in the center of the hall capturing water. Very classy.

The room furnishings were generally up to date but in poor condition. The room was clean but could have been cleaner. There was also a smell in the room and in some of the halls.

Staffing will generally rule the day and stay at a hotel for me. The checkin experience was negative with a relatively rude person. The bar staff later at night were generally not very concerned about customers, their personal conversations appeared much more important. On a positive note, the front desk staff at night were better when approached for a map and directions, they represented the brand well.

I wish I had spent another night at the Hilton instead of moving. There was an event at the Hilton that would have put me in a different room type... Something I didn't want to do... It would have been a much better choice though.

One final positive... Free parking, not much of a trade off.

Room Tip: Get a high room... Nice city or river views (depending on side of room).
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Marietta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

Just spent a night to attend a UT graduation. Every employee was very pleasant & attentive from the man sweeping the entrance to the bar manager who personally brought a beer to my husband at the cafe before the bar was officially opened for the day. We had a room with a view of the river , which was unexpected but appreciated since our room was a Marriott Rewards free night.

• Stayed May 2013
chattanooga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

We stayed here for a UT Football game, and it was just excellent! Sorry to read about the other reviews about the other "issues". We had no such problems ,and just thought the staff was great and accommodating. We love the way they gear up for home games! Go Vols!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Marriott Knoxville? Share your experiences!