“Just passin' through.....” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #48 of 89 Hotels in Knoxville
Indianapolis
“Just passin' through.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed one night, July 7, 2012.....too tired to continue driving home to Indiana. Had stopped at Tennessee Welcome Center earlier and noticed their ad in a travel coupon book. Chose this particular property because it looked new and up-to-date and it was also in a well-traveled, well-lighted area. Found the clerk very friendly and he checked us in immediately to a simple, but clean room. Room had a nice sized refrigerator and microwave (which we really didn't need)......but nice to know in case I travel this way again. Since I have heard horror stories of bed-bugs, I did my bed-bug checking routine and was relieved to find beds, linens, etc. very clean! Slept well and place was quiet! Breakfast provided was minimal, but better than nothing. Presented in a nice way for what they had available. Upon checking out, staff was again very pleasant and wished us safe travels. Would stay here again if traveling.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Clute
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

I went to choice hotels site to make a reservation at MainStay Suites where I usually stay but the did not have a room so I made a reservation at Econo Lodge because I had an early flight out of Knoxville the next morning and the information said it was close to the airport. When I arrived at the hotel I asked the desk clerk how far the airport was and she said about 30 minutes away if traffic was good. I was suprised, and said why did the information say close to the airport? She said "Some people would think it was close to the airport." I told her this was not going to work because I had a 6:00 am flight and the cost of a cab for that far would be extremely expensive. She handed me the Choice hotels book and I called the Mainstay Suites on Fountain View Circle where I usually stay.and they remembered me and said of course we have a room for you. So I explained again to the desk clerk that staying at Econo Lodge that it wasn't going to work for me. She refused to answer or even acknowledge I was there. I apologized for the situation and she stil refused to talk. So once more I tried to talk to her and was ignored. I left the office. My sister went back in and told her we would report her and she said here I cancelled the reservation. My sister said that she had been rude and would be reported. She answered with "Have a Nice Day." We left and went to Mainstay Suites and they were wonderful. I think this desk clerk needs some training in customer service.

Room Tip: I cannot rate anything else since I did not get past the office.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Dundee, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

Our room was non smoking but smelled of stale cigarette smoke. The carpet looked so dirty that I was not comfortable walking in bare feet. The chair in the room was filthy.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Florence, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

When we booked this hotel, Hotels,com web site said ' no pets' this was not correct. The travel coupon book said ' voted best hotel on this exit' not true. This place is a complete dump. We had traveled from 8am until 10 pm, was completly exhausted, so was just not in any shape to try to find another hotel. The 2 upholstered chairs were filthy and very old. The beds were so stained on the sides I was afraid to look at the tops. I did check the sides for signs of bed bugs, there were none. I went to bed with my clothes on, took off the spread and extremely worn blanket, and prayed no bugs crawled on me that night. I hardly slept, woke my husband up at 5am and we hit the road. We did not eat breakfast, would not even touch the coffee I was dying for. Yes it was cheap but that is no reason for the place being in that shape. Never ever will I stay in another Econo hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2008

We stayed for one night at this Econo Lodge on our way to Florida. The rooms were newer and clean. The management was very accomodating in our request for additional towels. The continential breakfast was a bonus. Plentiful enough to get us back on the road. Staff was very friendly. I would stay here again.

• Liked — convenience to the expressway
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Burke, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2007

My husband & I, along with another couple, stayed here for 3 nights from June 20-23. We were in town for the Honda Hoot, and after riding on a motorcycle for 8+ hours, were all happy to have a place to lay our heads! This is a cheap spot that was mostly clean, and very conveniently located to other spots of interest in Knoxville, and elsewhere.

The Econo Lodge (as they all are) is very basic, though has been renovated within the last few years. I'm always super concerned that the bathrooms are clean & mildew free, and for the most part this one was. (there's a bit of mildew starting to show in the grout between the floor tiles, as the shower leaks out a bit, and they could stand to caulk the hand rail in the shower, as the old caulk is peeling away a bit...just enough to slightly gross me out).

The carpet is older and very dark, most likely hiding all manner of sins, and the wallpaper in the vanity area is starting to peel up a bit. There were also a few cigarette burns in our bedspread, so at some point our non-smoking room had been a smoking room. (or they've just taken a smoking room bedspread and moved it...) The bed was a bit uncomfortable for us, but then again, much appreciated after being on a bike all day. It's not the sort of bed I'd feel comfortable in wearing skimpy or no pajamas though...

The room did have a very nice-sized mini fridge and microwave, though no coffee maker! The office had coffee along with bagels, english muffins, and bakery muffins in the mornings.

We liked, and used, our free passes for the health club's pool that was 1/2 block up the road. You just get a pass a day though, so once you leave the pool, I don't think you can go back. (and you'll have to bring your hotel towels with you unless you want to pay the gym $6 for one of their towels.)

There's an adjacent gas station/mini mart, and just across the little access road are a Red Lobster, IHOP, and a steak place that seemed to be really popular. There are also a few other hotels right there in the same area, in case the Econo Lodge doesn't quite suit.

I don't think we'll stay there again, if we decide to go back down, but it was decent enough for the price!

• Liked — Close to the highway so that we could get to events easily; gas station & IHOP right there!
  • Disliked — Sort of in a not-so-great part of the city, my husband seemed to think that it could be a "Section 8" motel
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Spokane, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2006

This hotel has been updated within the last couple years. Our main problem was with noise. The smoking floor is above the ground floor where we stayed and we were awakened at around 6am both days we stayed there by smokers coughing. The rooms are not very soundproof and travelers leaving early disturbed us as well. The room was out of toilet paper -- the maid having forgotten to add an extra roll. Our 2 double bed room was stocked with only two sets of towels. The room was clean. There is a $50 charge for smokers who smoke in the smoke-free rooms, so the room was smoke free. The refrigerator did not work well. Took several hours to get cold. We did take advantage of the Fitness Club passes -- fantastic facility includes tons of aerobic and exercise machines and two racquetball courts.

• Liked — The Fitness Club Passes
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Econo Lodge North? Share your experiences!