“Fantastic shrimmp and grits!” 5 of 5 stars

(865) 219-8317
Improve this listing
Ranked #425 of 931 restaurants in Knoxville
Knoxville
“Fantastic shrimmp and grits!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

I went to Big Fatty's on July 20th. After wanting to go there for ages, but never making the time to treat myself, I finally went. OMG! I had never had shrimp and grits, either, so that is what I had. What a fantastic lunch! I highly recommend Big Fatty's, and this will NOT be my only visit!

• Visited July 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

60% Recommend
“Food was good, everyone friendly.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011 via mobile

I had read previous reviews and was nervous about unfriendliness. We did not encounter rudeness or and ugliness. Everyone was very nice and having a good time. I was a little surprised by the prices of the food, but it was worth it. I could tell the shrimp on my Po'boy were fresh, not pulled out of a bag. Spinach could have been spicier, but that's a personal choice. Give it a whirl.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Everything Could Be Better.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011 via mobile

Not a bad place to eat, but the owner can be very unfriendly if she doesn't know you.
I've had better versions of everything I've ever had there, but I've had worse as well. If you can get there in time for chicken and dumplings, they're worth a stop, as it's hard to find a decent version at a restaurant.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Well, here it is. If you don't mind...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010 via mobile

Well, here it is. If you don't mind having the food nazii serve you an excellent meal then your ok. I believe it's due to two things. Mostly personality, but it's a small place and she doesn't want nesters coming in for lunch. If she went around socializing with everyone they would just sit there and keep talking, and there would be more people in the line than inside eating. I have eaten there 1/2 dozen times, and have never been dissapointed. No there is not a dollar menu, if you want that go to McDonalds. As for me personally, the feeling of a great meal lasts much longer than the price or an unsocialable owner. If great service is what you want then go to the Summit in Detroit, and you will have five servers and a 200.00 tab, which may or my not exceed the value of the meal.. Two reviews for the price of one:)

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Knoxville, TN
“Good food and horribly rude owner”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2008

I have dined at Big Fatty's 4 times now. Food is always great and wait staff always pleasant and efficient. Owner usually just ignores diners unless she know you but recently we had a very rude encounter with her. My family met there for brunch. My father has high cholesterol and asked the waiter if he could have an egg white omelet or egg beaters. The owner shouted over to our table they don't do that (which is fine) but then proceeded to rudely state "It's called a fruit cup!" Apparently if you have any health issues she believes you should dine at home. The snide comment was overboard and she is always rude or indifferent to diners. I will never dine there again!