“Trying to find something positive to say.” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Peerless Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #264 of 932 restaurants in Knoxville
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Cedar Bluff and Peters Rd
Description: The Peerless Restaurant is proudly Tennessee"s oldest independently owned restaurant. Serving the best butcher cut steaks, and fresh seafood since 1938. The Kalogeros Family welcomes you to the Peerless as part of our family when you dine with us! With a tremendous tradition of fine food and friendly service, the Peerless is a food service leader in East Tennessee and has established a reputation for excellence known throughout the entire east coast.
vancouver
“Trying to find something positive to say.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Was invited to Peerless Restaurant for a business meeting and meal. Checked out reviews which were generally not to favorable. Made note of the Lobster Bisque which most people seemed to enjoy. Five male carnivores were quickly seated in anticipation of having a Great Steak for which Peerless is supposedly known for. Having arrived at 6:30 on a Thursday we found we were only one of five tables in the entire restaurant that can easily host a few hundred people. turning our attention to the menu, we were introduced to the daily specials by our exuberant server. upon hearing that a 22 oz Bone In Cowboy Rib Steak with onion rings and broiled asparagus was one of the features, the 5 of us all were licking our chops in anticipation of the feast that was to be presented to us.

The lobster bisque did not disappoint while we waited for our steaks to arrive. The arrival of 5 sizzling platters filled with huge steaks and extra large onion rings and asparagus produced awes and yes, alright! the expressions of approval were quickly followed by sounds of silence as our palettes were exposed to a very bland, in three cases extremely tough, flavorless meals. As I quietly watched each of my counterparts reaching for the salt and pepper, each applying copious quantities of both condiments I recognized that I was not the only one who was struggling to find some flavor in my meal.

I was one of the fortunate ones as my steak was relatively tender, but the others were pitiful. Finally at the end of the meal, one gentlemen commented to the waiter that his steak was extremely tough and looking at his plate, he was lucky to have had eaten 50% and the balance was sinew and gristle. The waiter explained that he could do nothing about it and brought over the manager, who proceeded to explain how they cut their steaks on site and that these things do happen from time to time, but basically it was our problem. Our friend being extremely patient asked then if they could do nothing about the meal if they would at least bring a dessert, which they quickly complied with.

Long and short of this review, I would put this restaurant on a list of been there - Never going back!

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

54% Recommend
Atlanta, Michigan
“Try the Lobster Bisque - it's wonderfull!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

I have always enjoyed the steak skewers but on my fourth visit I tried their lobster bisque. It was outstanding and I will order it on my next visit. Good happy hour specials on both drinks and appetizers. The menu is a bit expensive but I feel it is a fair value because this is a very upscale establishment. Also, their bread baskets are very, very good.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Rocky Top
“Best I have had in Knoxville.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I was in Knoxville for a Travel show which was at the Peerless put on by Vacation Express. I had the grilled salmon which was perfect. I also had a drink at the bar before dinner and drinks and service were top shelf! I have eaten many times at the Peerless in Johnson City and the Knoxville restaurant ran by Gary Kalrogros was fantastic. Try thier Greek salad is is great too.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
“Early Bird Specials Not Special”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I wouldn't recommend this restaurant to anyone unless money and value don't matter. We moved to Knoxville recently and decided to try this restaurant but we were very disappointed. We got there at 4:00 for the early bird special which was supposed to be according to their website...buy one entree get one half off. When we got there it was...buy one entree get 25% off. Certain steaks were marked as part of the deal. We chose one 6 oz filet and one 8 oz. The 6 oz was 25% off but the 8oz was not but there was no way of knowing that from the menu. The waiter brought our bill and it didn't have a discount on it. When he was asked about it he said he was waiting for us to ask for it! He took it back and brought it back with only one discount which amounted to a measly $5.00 off a bill of $75. At that point we were frustrated so we just left. I sent an e-mail to the restaurant corporate office and it was totally ignored. The food is ok but certainly not for the high prices or small portions. Only one side is included (small) and salads are an extra $5.00. You shouldn't have to pay extra for a salad on a $27.00 steak!

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
knoxville, TN
“I want to love it..but just can't....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Called and was told it was getting busy and to put our name on the list which I appreciated. When we got there, we were 2 of about 10 people in the whole place. We had bread plates at our table, but we never got bread so not sure if that is standard or what. All of the tables around us were empty so we could not see if they had bread or not. My soup was barely lukewarm...I should have sent it back but our waiter did not come back to check on us for quite some time so I started eating it after a while for fear he would not come back until the end. My salad which is their "signature" entree salad was all iceberg, feta and had some canned green peas on it...I thought they were capers until I bit into one. My guest had the alfredo pasta and needed a straw to eat it. The sauce was water thin and the spaghetti noodles and shrimp were floating in it...so strange. I have heard the original in Johnson City, TN is the best so if in that area, I might try that one but this was my second and last time to this location...which makes me sad as I love "non-chain" restaurants.....

• Visited January 2013