“one of my favorites in pigeon forge and in Gatlinburg” 5 of 5 stars

865-288-1600
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #80 of 961 Restaurants in Knoxville
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Late Night, Dessert
Sevier County,TN
“one of my favorites in pigeon forge and in Gatlinburg”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

ribs, ribs, ribs. rolls and butter, rolls and butter, biscuits and butter. Great place to take friends. our granddaughter likes the chicken fingers. wife and i split the rib /chicken combo or something. plenty of food.

Knoxville, Tennessee
“The Best Bar B Que in America”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Move over Texas...Kansas City...Memphis Calhouns is the true winner as the best Bar B Que in America. It falls off the bone when you pick it up. The smokiness is heavenly. The service is unequalled.

Visited August 2012
Knoxville
“Decent, but nothing special. Boringly bad experience last visit.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Good basic "meat" restaurant that generally covers all the ribs and steak bases.

Recently had a mildly disappointing experience there that didn't encourage me to go back.

I ordered a medium steak and they brought me this bloody, very rare hunk. Fine--I ate around the edges, realized I could go no further, so pointed it out to the waitress and she took it back, leaving the side dishes at the table. It seem to make sense.

Well, I ate my sides...then waited. And waited. Eventually my steak reappeared, long after my companion was finished and the sides long eaten. So I was left with this random piece of meat on the center of a large, empty plate: it wasn't a very positive or tasty experience as the pace of the meal was disrupted and the end result looked unappetizing.

They could have sent out a salad, bread, another side or two, maybe an app or offered a complimentary dessert, but nada. It was a pointless experience and their service/response to this mistake did not impress me.

They also refilled my unsweet tea with sweet tea, but I honestly was so tired of negotiating for my meal and mentioning errors, I let it go.

The overall impression was: get the meal over with and get out of here. And next time, don't mention our mistake. Or something.

It just left me kind of cold.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Baltimore, MD
“A captive audience, would not be my first (second, or third) choice.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Now, I didn't pick this restaurant, nor did I have a say in the menu selections, so...

Fried catfish -- outstanding (they need to advertise this); ribs -- overcooked, tough, and kind of boring; mashed potato -- come on, how can you screw up spuds?; creamed corn -- I did not partake; spinach marie (?), never heard of it, basically creamed spinach with cheese and something spicy added; key lime pie -- great.

Would I go back? Probably not, but others liked it just fine, so it may well be just my tastes. No, not really, while others did enjoy it, just as many in our group were under-whelmed, so there is something to my "complaints."

Dayton, Ohio
“Had a great time here.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

We enjoyed Calhouns. We came on a whim with a large party and the staff went out of the way to accommodate our group. I was impressed with the service. It is a neat place inside with lots of character and great views of the river. The food was really good. I had chicken and some of the best mac and cheese ever. My husband had ribs and he said they were fantastic. I will come again the next time I visit Knoxville.