“Used to be Better” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Used to be Better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

I still love El Charro. It used to be my favorite place but over the years other Mexican joints have sprung up that give them a hefty competition (Namely El Mezcal, Senor Taco, Soccor Taco). I still eat at them all pretty regularly. My biggest disappointment was ordering a vegetarian dish here and discovering that it contained the really cheap frozen veggies inside. Just cause I didn't want meat didn't mean that I wanted broccoli and cauliflower in my veggie Chimichanga...They should have used onions/peppers/mushrooms and rice...

The best:
Order the chicken soup. It is awesome and it comes with a lime. Squeexe the limein the soup and enjoy that flavor of pic de gallo, chicken. avocado, and lime. Lots of mexican restaurants want you to get a tortilla soup. This is not a tortilla soup. I don't like corn chips in my chicken soup so I appreciate this offering. It is one of the best cures for a cold/sinus probelem in all of Knoxville.

Three Chicken Soft Tacos- This used to be on the menu under a la carte. If you like juicy chicken that has been stewed rather than grilled these soft tacos are for you. They come wrapped in foil with cheese. That is it. I generally will add some salsa. they are very juicy and drip with every bit but I love those things.

The Rest:
I've never had anything bad here. It seems a tad bit more family friendly than the other places. they can get you in an out very fast which helps if you just want to eat and run. Again I emphasize I prefer El Charro because of the way they cook the chicken. Some restaurants cooks their chicken on the grill which is tasty but I like the stewed slow cooked pulled strings of chicken meat that most dishes have there. I'm sure there are exceptions, for example if you get fajitas the chicken will most certainly be grilled.

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

71% Recommend
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Terrible Food!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011 via mobile

Looking for good mexican food? Well, don't waste your time or money here. Easily the worst Mexican food that I have ever eaten. I had a safe nachos with beans and beef dish. The beans had no flavor, the beef taste just like that nasty chille con carne in a tube. Horrible. I told waiter the food was bad when paying but just handed a full price check. I will never go back again.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Sevierville, Tennessee
“Dont be quick to judge”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

My boyfriend and I were looking for a quick place to stop and eat some mexican food. I personally like to try new places so this is a place I chose. When we pulled up, the outside of the building looks pretty rough, but I told myself "you cant judge by outside apperance" We went inside and they have a full service mexican grocery store which is pretty neat, (especially if you have been to Mexico)..it felt like you were in Mexico, not in Knoxville. The restaurant is on the side of the store, theres about 20 4 top tables. The menu prices range from $1.75-$14 for food. You just sit down, the waitress takes your order and brings it out. We only waited about 15 min for our order. I ordered cheesy enchiladas. My opinion, it was cheap and pretty good..maybe not the best I have had but still decent.

Visited May 2011
Tennessee
“Reliably good food- great value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2009

I've been eating here for goin on 10 years or so. I have never had a bad meal. I love the chile rellenos (they use anaheim chiles, which i prefer over poblano). The decor and atmosphere is nice. My family gets takeout from here regularly and we love it! In my opinion, it's the best of the mexican restaraunts in Knoxville. I'm kinda not a fan of the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce membership placquard they proudly display though...

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere