“Below Average” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Below Average”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

we went for an early dinner after hearing good things. i ordered the chorizo fundido as an appetizer: it was typical but good. it then took them 15 minutes to take our order after our drinks were delivered; i dont know why, the place was nearly empty. we joked that at monterrey we would have our meal already. for the meal we ordered the combo with a taco, chicken enchilada, and chili relleno, a pair of burritos, one chicken one beef, and the chorizo tacos. maybe they were out of chicken that day but we got ground beef instead of chicken for the two items. we're not too picky so we went with it, but found the beef to be bland and watery. the chili relleno had the same bland beef filling and the pepper was so overcooked it had no flavor. it wasnt awful, just not good. the chorizo dishes were good but nothing you couldnt get anywhere else. i see no reason to return here, the prices were OK but slightly higher than many other superior mexican establishments that have excellent service and food.

• Visited June 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Knoxville, Tennessee
“Scalding Cheese burned my child and Horrible Customer Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2010

We went there for lunch on Sunday and ordered the children's quesadilla for our 21-month old. As soon as she picked it up, scalding hot molten cheese ran out of the side and landed on the top of her foot and knee. The cheese left a 2nd degree burn on the top of her foot. It is grossly irresponsible of the restaurant to serve children's meals (or any meals for that matter) so hot. Our server saw it happen, he handed us napkins and walked away. Unfortunately, it wasn't till later that day, when we realized just how bad the burn was. Four days later, she still has an large open wound on the top of her foot. Called the manager a few days later to let him know how bad it was. Never received a call back, so we went in. All he did was deny it happened there, because "his server didn't tell him about it" and "we would never serve food that hot." My husband even told him we didn't want anything, just an apology and to let him know so it wouldn't happen again. We got nothing, just a denial and implication that we were lying about it happening there. We have witnesses. Horrible Customer Service and Dine at your own risk.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Trying to be modern, the...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2009

Trying to be modern, the atmosphere is merely sterile. Food is fine.

knoxville
“don't do it!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2008

I thought this was about the worst Mexican food I ever ate. I should have know when the only Mexican people working there were the busboys...

Knoxville
“Not Really A Fan”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2008

I am usually not big on writing reviews, but this restaurant needs some help. First let me say that I love Mexican food...I probably eat Mexican at least twice a week (I'm not bragging, just saying). I went to Agave Azul with a large group (about 9 people) for lunch. We sat outside under their patio-nice place, but flies were everywhere...probably my fault for sitting outside.

The food took a considerable amount of time to arrive (compared to most Mexican places). I had the Pollo Fundido (grilled chicken with rice and salad). Portions were about half the size of El Mezcal (just down the street) and tasted a bit pre-fabircated. Soft corn tortillas instead of flour...the chicken was dry and tastless except for the mound of unmelted cheese on top.

The prices were comparable to most places, but the food was no where near El Mezcal's. This place might have had a bad day, but from the most recent inspector's score, they've got some work to do.