“Nasty Food” 1 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #30 of 932 restaurants in Knoxville
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Nasty Food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Unfortunately, the Calhouns on the river is such a great location that Calhouns knows that it can get away with serving sub-par food. The last time I went will be the last though. I was served a burnt black rack of ribs that tasted like really bad beef jerky. Calhouns, you can do better!

Visited February 2013

81% Recommend
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
“Great BBQ!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We went Valentines Night and we got there just in time, no wait. The food was really good, we got the BBQ sampler to share (Pork, Ribs and Chicken Tenders) it was perfect. I really loved the french fries and the chicken tenders.. My husband enjoyed the ribs and pulled pork. I wasn't a real fan of the BBq sauce, but I am really picky about my sauce (I really love Sonny's Sweet sauce and I compare everything to that) I absolutely loved the the Honey Mustard sauce that was awesome!

Visited February 2013
“Not worth the wait”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant came highly recommended as a Knoxville staple but proved to be very disappointing. Food was way overrated and the atmosphere was typical bar ware. The location is nice but your better off going elsewhere. I had the fish & chips and the breading was soggy and the fish, mushy like it has been sitting in a steamer. My family had the ribs and both husband and son rated them just okay. The coleslaw is decent but I've had way better food elsewhere in Knoxville.

cincinnati
“Great place to meet before basketball game”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Went here before a Tennessee basketball game. We ordered a few craft beers and appetizers. Great beer and the apps were typical bar/grill food.
Our waiter did a fantastic job and the atmosphere was also great.

We would recommend this restaurant as a meeting place before or after the game.

Visited December 2012
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“great food, nice views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

This is a place you have to visit in Knoxville. They serve great barbecue and country style items. Calhoun's has a few locations in the area, but this one is especially nice. It's well decorated inside, and a large portion of the restaurant has a view of the river. Depending on where you sit, you can get an up close look at ducks. The service and food have been great every time I've visited. It's a good place to take kids, because they stay occupied coloring and looking at ducks while the adults can enjoy some conversation and barbecue.

• Visited July 2012