“okay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 47 attractions in Knoxville
Type: Specialty Museums
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: From the 10-ton, 30-foot-high basketball that sits on top of the building to the life-like animatronic figure of Senda Berenson, "the mother of women's basketball," this will not be your typical hall of fame visit.
Rockwood, Tennessee, United States
11 attraction reviews
“okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

this is okay. I'm not really much into basketball so its not my cup of tea.

Oak Ridge, New Jersey
289 attraction reviews
“The best laid plans...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

I had a very carefully planned itinerary for my road trip when I left home, but (fortunate)circumstances necessitated some changes. I had planned a brief stop at the WBHOF for a tour and to get some surprise souvenirs for my wife. The WBHOF is less than a five-minute drive off of I-40, and easy to find. I figured on spending about an hour here.
The WBHOF design features a huge basketball atop a stylized net that is part of the building. The interior is well planned and provides an excellent history of women's basketball. Displays and artifacts are excellent, educational and evocative. Some of the displays are interactive, allowing the visitor to be part of a coaching session, with a video of one of several famous coaches, or to be part of a players' on-court huddle. There is also an animatronic depiction of the very beginning of women's basketball. On a lower level, there is a historical progression of hoops where visitors can shoot, and an area to try your hand at dribbling drills.
So I ended my tour at the gift shop, and went to pay for my souvenirs, when I happened to glance at a poster, and I realized that I was visiting on the day before the 2012 WBHOF Inductions. I like basketball, but I am not a huge fan, and I had been oblivious to the timing of my visit. Drat! If I just bought souvenirs and left, my wife might be disappointed. So I did some quick figuring and shuffled my itinerary so, with a 100-mile addition and a route adjustment, I could get back to the WBHOF the next day.
Arriving by 7:30 AM, I was able to watch the 4K run/walk that started the day. The event benefits the (Sandra) Kay Yow Cancer Fund, founded by NCSU Coach Kay Yow before her death from breast cancer. While 4K isn't a killer distance, several of the runners were impressive, especially the 73 year old woman who ran the course in 23:39, and the 93 year old man who completed the race in 38:59 - with a walker, and ahead of 38 other participants!!!
After the prizes were awarded, the WBHOF 2012 inductees had an autograph session. It was a pleasure to meet the six outstanding women, and to get their autographs for my wife, to go along with her WBHOF membership.
My only criticism of the WBHOF is trivial. It would be nice if they could have a WBHOF book/album for sale - updatable to account for new year's inductees? After all, they've been around since 1999, yet the only comparable souvenirs are basically leftovers of individual years.
On the whole, I am very glad I visited, and I am even happier that I got back for the second day! A worthwhile stop for any visitor to Knoxville.

Visited June 2012
Knoxville, TN
3 attraction reviews
“If ya like Basketball”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

If you like basket ball and learning about the players who made a name this is the place. very nice place to visit

Visited September 2011
Bardstown, Kentucky
6 attraction reviews
“A fantastic outing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

These wonderful folks were so kind to host an evening outing for us during a recent tourism conference.

My sincere thanks for all of their hard work! I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

I wouldn't consider myself to be a sports fanatic in any way, but after visiting the Center, I came away with a remarkable respect and admiration for the women and coaches who have shaped their sport. I've since recommended their Museum to all of those visiting Knoxville. :)

All of the exhibits were interesting and I had a great time attempting to perfect my jumpshot in the gym! Thanks folks!

Visited February 2012
Knoxville, Tennessee
7 attraction reviews
“Very Interesting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

Nice place with lots of good information if you like women's basketball... also in a great area where you can go to Calhouns on the River and also take a vice walk down to the stadium and campus area.

Visited March 2012