“Ouch!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of iCafe - CLOSED

iCafe
416 W. Clinch Ave, Knoxville, TN 37902 (Formerly Le Parigo)
865-525-9214
Dining options: Late Night
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Ouch!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

The food is quite good, especially for Knoxville. Just saying. High end European fare. But the service is awful and the owners are rude, rude. In fact, the owners were so rude to a person who eats there weekly and took me as a guest, that I never went back. I don't like being treated badly anywhere.

Visited September 2011

USA
“Had a terrific meal with attentive service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

We dined at Le Parigo last evening. My daughter, who lives in Seattle, gave us a gift certificate for Christmas. She had researched the restaurant online and found that it received very good reviews from another national reviewing web site.
We had a 6:30 PM reservation and arrived about 15 minutes early but were seated immediately. The hostess explained that we would have to wait a few moments for service as they work diligently to assure that all diners are served in order. The restaurant is very small, I think they can seat 28 to 30. There are only 2 people in the kitchen. The wine list is limited but the wines we selected were both very good. Beer is also available but no hard liquor.

Two in our party ordered the smoked duck breast salad and 2 ordered the mussels as appetizers. We all liked what we ordered. For entrees, 2 of us had the scallops with asparagus and haricot vert rather than the risotto that was listed on the menu, one had the veal breast and one the duck breast. All entrees received rave reviews from our table. We tried 3 of the desserts.

The service was unobtrusive and even. The noise level was low and we had a most enjoyable evening. We are all "medicare eligible" but the diners at other tables were young (30's). I would recommend Le Parigo for foodies! I do not think it is the best place for large family gatherings. Reservations are a must!

• Visited January 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Richland, Washington
“A disappointing special occasion dinner”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

We were in town for a graduation and wanted a special meal for the occasion. Being touted as having fine dining and French cuisine, we gave Le Parigo a try only to be disappointed, primarily with the service. After being seated for some time, we had to ask for menus, then subsequently had to ask for bread. For starters, several in the party ordered mushroom soup which came to the table barely tepid. When mentioned to the server, rather than apologizing, we were informed that it was brought out as soon as it was in the service window, as though that should be sufficient explanation. The soup was ultimately taken back and reheated. The entrees were good, but the evening was mired by a seemly disinterested service staff. For the level of cost, the dining experience should be a pleasant and memorable experience in a positive sense. I would suggest that there are much better places of fine dining in Knoxville.

• Visited December 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Oak Ridge, TN
“Bravo to the Chef!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

We were not aware of this restaurant until we received a Groupon offer. There were some complementary online reviews from local sources so we decided to try it out. The Groupon specifically stated that a reservation was required and that you must mention that you would be using a Groupon when the reservation was made. We have used many restaurant Groupons in our area and had never encountered these requirements. We followed the instructions but were somewhat suspicious about how we would be treated once we arrived.
The restaurant is basically one small room with about 10 four-person tables and one two-person table. There is a tiny bar just inside the front door that might accommodate four people. The atmosphere is cozy and there are appropriate and interesting paintings on the wall (some for sale). The chairs are all covered in a faded pink velvet and added to the restaurants French charm. Because the room is small, the tables are rather close together. At first we had no one near us but later an older, well-dressed couple was seated next to us. That was fine until another couple they knew arrived and was seated halfway across the restaurant from them. Rather than choosing to dine together they decided to carry on long conversations at a distance. Everyone on our side of the restaurant had no choice but to listen to the details of their conversation including a long discussion about the funeral they were all attending the next day. For their age and apparent economic status, they had no manners whatsoever. I would say this is not the fault of the restaurant but I believe the waiter could have suggested the people sit together if they planned to chat. Instead, he appeared to be impressed with their social status and was more attentive to them than to others in the restaurant. We were seated at least 10 minutes before the couple next to us but they were they only patrons who received bread with the plate of butter that all tables were served. I finally had to ask for bread.
The menu is very limited which to us is a good sign. I had tried to get an idea of the menu from their website but it is very difficult to read. It is not posted as a PDF and therefore does not print well. We were there on a Friday night which is when they offer a special of two courses for $30.95. The night we were there the courses were the goat cheese salad with mixed greens, strawberries, raspberries and toasted almonds in a balsamic vinaigrette ($9.95) and the seared salmon topped with a creamy leek fondue accompanied with sautéed asparagus and roasted tomatoes ($26.95). Since this was what I had planned to order anyway, it was nice to take advantage of a special price. My husband ordered the Caprese salad ($11.95) and the entree portion of the Mussels a la Provencal ($17.95). My wine order was the Miso Canali 2008 Pinot Grigio ($11) and my husband had the J. Lohr Seven Oaks 2007 Cabernet ($12). My entree came with green beans rather than asparagus but it was no less fabulous than I had hoped. Everything was fresh and delicious. My husband raved at the freshness and flavor of the basil on his salad. The mussels were delicious. I was served a generous portion of my salad and it was perfection. The bread was rustic and a perfect complement to the food. Bravo to the chef! The only improvement we would suggest is that the mussels come with a side dish or that there be an offering of a la carte side dishes. We were very surprised at how pleased we both were with the wines we chose. The wine list is very limited but they have obviously taken care to make excellent selections.
There were four selections on the dessert menu. We did not order dessert so I cannot make any recommendations other than to say that if the appetizers and entrees are any indication, the desserts must be delicious!
As I mentioned, we had a Groupon for this restaurant and we went with a bit of apprehension as to how we would be treated. The wait staff (one male and one female) both served us and were pleasant yet cold--perhaps they have been told to behave that way to give the restaurant a true French ambience. Or maybe that's just how they behave. We really didn't mind that although we do feel that a friendly wait staff can often add to the enjoyment of a dining experience. I will not speculate that we were treated any different because we had a Groupon. It was not the first time we have been served after people who arrived later than us. People make mistakes. It was not until we received our check that we discovered how Le Parigo handles patrons who use a Groupon. There was an unexplained charge of $17 for "misc food." We puzzled over it a minute and finally asked. The waiter explained that it was an 18% gratuity tacked on for Groupon users. We were glad we had asked as we were about to add the 20% we always tip (on the full amount of the bill, of course). By forcing a 18% tip they gave up the 20% we would have given them. Not much difference I guess but the fact that they assumed we would take advantage of them left us with a bad feeling about the establishment. If not for Groupon, we would never have known about this restaurant and we would never have visited this restaurant. We found it to be an outstanding place to dine. We will return and will be recommending it to our friends. In the future, I would suggest to the Le Parigo owners that they not participate in the Groupon program if they cannot treat Groupon users with the same respect offered to non-Groupon users.

• Visited November 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Pretentious.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011 via mobile

My husband and I dressed very nicely and decided to try this restaurant for the first time. We arrived at about 8:30 and a tatooed server arrogantly greeted us by saying "hi, yeah I can't get you a table unless you have a reservation, and I KNOW you don't. We are a highly recommended restaurant and you should make a reservation next time." How did he know? We are going to just go spend our money elsewhere. You lost two customers forever. Good work.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere