“Exquisite” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Grill at HIghlands Row is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #41 of 967 Restaurants in Knoxville
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Philadelphia, Tennessee
“Exquisite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

DH and I went to the Grill at Highlands Row on the recommendation of a friend. This friend is now my arbiter of taste -- we were immensely impressed. It was my husband's birthday, but it was also an anniversary of sorts. DH ordered flowers to be delivered to the table before our arrival; they were there, gorgeous, and so much fun.

Our waitress, Kelly, was -- well, honestly, she was amazing. She was the perfect combination of warm friendliness and deferential reserve. Kelly was not pushy. She didn't hover. She didn't kowtow. She was just a wonderful server, and she answered our questions about various dishes.

We started with the Highlands Crab Cake with remoulade and cucumber fennel slaw. The appetizer portion is small, thank goodness -- two little crab cakes with a pile of the slaw and the divine sauce. It was *perfect*. I am very picky about crab cakes, remoulade, and slaw -- seriously -- and all three were just divine. If all I had gotten was this dish, I would still be raving about the Grill at Highlands Row.

We both had the house salad with champagne vinaigrette. I could be wrong, but I thought the tomatoes were supposed to be marinated or something. They were just regular cherry tomatoes. The greens were fresh; the cucumbers crunchy. The red onions were big enough that I could put them aside without it getting to be messy. (Yeah, I'm a picky eater.) The smoked cream cheese crostini was delightful. I put about a tablespoon of the very tart and flavorful champagne vinaigrette on my salad, and that was enough for me. DH used more, and that was enough for him. The salads were good.

DH had the lobster mac and cheese, which he loved, and I had a bite. It was good. I had the filet mignon, medium rare, with bearnaise sauce and gnocchi for a side dish. It was perfectly medium rare. The steak came with a large mushroom and fried onion ring garnish, which was not my cup of tea. I pushed that stuff aside and slathered the filet with bearnaise -- *wonderful*. I ate every bite. I did not eat every bite of the gnocchi, and to this moment, I regret it. Gnocchi is my new favorite side dish. *So* good. I was just getting full.

Dessert was the flourless chocolate cake, which DH and I shared. It was dense and delicious, but surprisingly cool. I don't know why I expected it to be more like room temperature, but it was wonderful, anyway.

DH got the Gnarly Head pinot grigio with dinner; I had the Sweet Mint Ice Pick cocktail before -- *delicious* and deceptively strong; wish I had one right now! Bread and tiny, perfect, sweet, crusty, fried cornbread balls were served with molasses butter and whipped butter -- too delicious and too addictive; try not to eat the bread so as to save room for more dinner! I dare you!

Upshot: Loved it. Can't wait to go back. Will have to contrive another special occasion to justify more time and money at this gorgeous place!

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Tennessee
“Terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

My friend and I had dinner here before a play last evening. We each had a salad to start, she ordered the "wedge" with bleu cheese and Benton's bacon, and I the "highlander" salad. Both arrived looking like a three year old could have plated them. Her salad did not have Benton's bacon on it, rather it looked like crispy proscuitto. ( If anyone has ever had Bentons, they would have recognized this immediately). My salad dressing did not fit the salad I had at all. Too heavy/mayonaise-y 'vinagrette' for a salad that had greens, granny smith slices, dried cranberry and goat cheese round on top that I swear was ricotta!
We decided to share the Lobster Mac and cheese which they did separate into two small ramekins, but it arrived way over-baked and the stone crab claw on top was also bone dry. Not a $30 entree' for sure!
Service was poor to say the least, and the dining room wasn't even busy. At some point a man came by and said hello to us (he was a manager) but never asked how things were. We did order coffee and dessert, and I had to ask the server for a fork as she had cleared all away but our coffee teaspoons. I had the bourbon pecan pie, which was ice cold. When she brought my fork, she saw that my friend was eating her pie with her spoon and said "oh, did you need one too?". She never offered to refill our water glasses and we had to ask for the check, even though it was apparent we had finished. I don't care for this modern training they give the servers these days to start clearing the table as soon as one of the party is finished eating. I was taught that this is bad manners, and it puts pressure on the guest still eating to hurry and finish.
All in all, it was a huge overpriced disappointment, and we would not go back, nor ever recommend it. This is a shame as the location is good, as is the interior of the restaurant. Ambiance won't keep them in business forever.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Knoxville, TN
“One great dinner, one very average dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I'm torn on this review because we had one amazing dinner at The Grill and one very average (and thus overpriced) dinner a few months later. The Fritter of the Day was great, and I really loved the salad both times. Desserts were great as well. Presentation is a bit lacking based on price point (around $90 for two adults with no alcohol) for the Knoxville area. Steaks were very overcooked on our second visit (ordered medium and got well), and we were in too much of a hurry (show afterwards) to have them redone. Service is quite slow even when the restuanrant isn't crowded. Highly recommend reservations. I'll probably eat there again to give them the benefit of the doubt.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Knoxville, Tennessee
“The Grill is Great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Excellent food, very reasonable prices and excellent service. Reservations are accepted either by phone or over the internet.

Visited September 2012
Louisville, Kentucky
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

Sit out on the deck and listen to the love band. The food was amazing. We started with the cheese plate and the Highland Salad and then had the vegi plate. The okra fries, sautéed spinach, gnocchi, chili sweet potatoes and asparagus were amazing!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere