“Special Place for a Special Occasion” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Dessert, Hamburgers
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Jellico, TN
“Special Place for a Special Occasion”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

On August 1st, my husband's 65th birthday, we decided to eat at Ye Olde Steak House. This was only the second time we have ever dined at this restaurant. The other occasion was my 50th birthday. The restaurant, even though having been damaged by fire a few years back, was almost exactly the same as it was 15 years ago. The décor is a little on what I would call the "gaudy" side but the food was perhaps even better than I remember. My husband and I both had steaks and I had the "to die for" woodshed potatoes. We also took home a piece of their coconut cake for his birthday cake. The wait staff was extremely efficient and friendly. The only thing missing was the little crock of cheese and assortment of crackers that traditionally begin the meal here. Our waitress told us that since they had reopened after the fire they had had a difficult time finding a supplier, but did now have one and should again be serving this appetizer soon. Hopefully I will not wait another 15 years to revisit.

• Visited August 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Roy, Utah
“Great Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

I hadn't been here in a long time due to living across the country. I went with my brother and sister in law about a month ago on a Wednesday night. On Wednesday nights, they have a special which is grilled chicken breasts and two sides. I had the woodshed potatoes and hot buttered mushrooms. The food was delicious and all portions were large, IMO. The special is $10 plus whatever you have to drink. I took half home and had a great meal the next day. Monday night is burger night. Burger and one side for $7. Again, delicious and very large burger. Everyone who worked there was fantastic with seating and service. This is a family run business that Bunt and Helen King started in 1968. The "kids" run it now and it is still a terrific place to visit and eat.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Disappointing Visit After Many Years”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

After dining here for many years, and always having a wonderful meal, my latest visit was very disappointing. My husband and I each ordered a steak, but neither one was cooked to order (medium came out very rare, and medium well came out very well done). The prime rib (too rare) was sent back, and but came back out within a minute and still looked very rare. Surprisingly, the cut was very tough, as if cut against the grain. The filet was overcooked, but did have a good flavor. The waitress did take off the price of our dessert since we had to send the steak back. For the price paid, I would think twice about returning.

• Visited March 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Serving size!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Good food, good service, good atmosphere, and the serving size...OMG, it was a lot of food. We were told there are homemade desserts, but we didn't have the stomach for them after the huge steak. They should cut the size and price by half, then it will be perfect in my book. We were on business trip, no fridge, so we couldn't doggy-bag the food, otherwise, it would probably okay.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Newport, Tennessee
“Always good food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We have been eating here since the 1980s. Never had a bad experience. Quality of meat has always been exceptional. They have the best chopped sirloin steak I ever had anywhere. Our party this trip had two filets, a ribeye, steak kabobs, and a chopped sirloin. No complaints! Everyone had a different dessert. No complaints there either. Everyone also left with a carryout box of leftovers too. Can't go wrong dining at Ye Older Steak House!