“Quality shouldnt be in their name at all” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #63 of 89 Hotels in Knoxville
Memphis, Tennessee
“Quality shouldnt be in their name at all”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel, only due to the fact that it was one night, each direction of our trip - mind you I used choice hotels and thought this one would be ok, better then motel 6...sadly not. First, the beds are so old, you SINK into them, leaving me with a tremedous back ache. They do NOT have wireless, you have to be "corded", which isnt what was advertised in their description. The bathroom was nasty, the blanket at one time might have been nice, but like the mattress, old and flat, it was one of those cheap fiber filled ones made to appear like down. The way back, I left my ipod, accidently and by all means my fault, but the hotel is not honest about this and I am sure they found it and scored it for themselves. Sadly, the coffee is nasty, the breakfast is nasty and the place just needs total rehaul! Also, beware, they rent their rooms to very seedy types, usually on the back side of the hotel

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Christiansburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

Thanks to Dax & Reena owners of Quality Inn, Strawberry Plains, Knoxville, TN. My first visit--Just Perfect !! Clean!! Loved the breakfast each morning!! Waffles! Biscuits! Gravy! Fruit! I will stay anytime I am in the are. SAFE and CLEAN and SMILES and FRIENDLY....

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
West Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

This was our second visit to this motel; we made an effort to return as the service is great, the pool is very clean and comfortable and the room was quiet and had a night light. Since I was travelling was an elderly mother and nieces of various ages (15 - 31), we needed a motel that all would be happy with. We first visited this motel in September of '08 and hope to return again when we next visit South Carolina.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Slidell, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

My family and I stayed there for one night, last week. We were only staying as a stopover, so we didn't look for the best quality, just a good value. Well, the value was very good and free hot breakfast was included. The rooms were pretty clean, but musty/smoky smelling to me when we walked in. Size was decent. Beds were okay, but I could definitely feel some springs in the mattress. Showerhead didn't spray out too much (glad I didn't have to wash my hair, that night!) and it had a high-pitched whistling noise for most of the shower. The internet was wired in each room, but you had to pull up a chair to the coffee table to use your laptop b/c the wire was too short to reach to the table. It still didn't work that well. I think what bothered me the most was that the room doors opened to the outside of the building. There was no interior hallway when stepping outside your room; you were on the outside walkway. We put a chair in front of our door, overnight, as an added safety precaution, though there was a deadbolt and a security latch. To go to the ice machine, you had to go outside your room to the lower level outside walkway. Also, we were on the second level, meaning we had to drag our luggage up the outside stairs; there was no elevator. There were gas stations and a Ruby Tuesday almost next door, though. I would recommend it only for a short stayover when traveling.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
buffalo, New York, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

I have to agree that the hotel is a bit dated but I found my room to be very clean. Should I really care if the couch has old styling if they take the time to make sure its clean? And it didn't look really worn to me. It wouldn't be a place where I'd entertain friends but who does anyway? I was there to sleep and get ready for the next day. In that regard I found the bed to be very comfortable. I slept like I was at home. There probably is road noise from the highway since its close by but I always use ear plugs to sleep when I'm traveling.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that my non-smoking room didn't even have a hint of stale smoke. There was a bit of a mildew smell from the air conditioner but I find that to be the case with most hotels in the south. The room was somewhat dark ( a plus for sleeping) but there were several lights in the room that were adequate.

I found the staff to be responsive. I was able to get wireless internet from my room the first night but for some reason I couldn't the second night. When I mentioned this to the front desk the next morning they explained that they had installed a wireless router in a room near mine so I had picked that up. That guest had left so the router was taken down. They said they could install it in mine and, sure enough, when I got back that evening the router was setup. I did have to power it down and back up to get a connection so it would've been nice if they had taken the time to test it. For me it was no big deal, others might have had to go without.

Breakfast was the usual continental fare. They do have a waffle maker and I made use of that a couple days. The selection wasn't great but there was enough variety to satisfy me over the course of 4 days. The coffee was a little weak and had grounds in it 2 of the 4 days. Staff, please take care in making the coffee!

To sum it up, I thought this was a great value. I received a AAA discount which brought the price down to a cut-rate hotel level. But most of all it met my main criteria of clean and comfortable.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Wilmington, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

I have to agree with another reviewer who stayed at this hotel recently. I was very shocked when I walked into this motel after reading all the wonderful reviews. First off, the little area before the lobby smells so bad, that should be enough to turn you away. The rooms are old and shabby with worn out carpet and seemed dirty to me. But the worst thing for me was the smell of the air conditioner, I really felt like I was probably breathing in mold from it. We had a reservation to stay there on our way back and canceled that and used coupons we got from Tennessee travel brochures for discounted walk ins at another hotel nearby. Do not believe all these great reviews -- this is a good exit to stay at but pick another newer hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Naperville, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2010

We chose this hotel based on the #8 rating it had on TripAdvisor. The adage "you get what you pay for" applies here. The ONLY redeeming quality was the price. The property is "tired" in my wife's words - I think that is being generous. The furniture must be 30+ years old. Everything feels old, and worn, and dirty. The room was extremely dark, (we had a breezeway room). There was nearly a one-inch gap under the door (we had to stuff it with a towel). There is a lot of road noise I-40 - maybe the rooms on the back side are better. A small TV circa 1985 awaits you. The Internet is "wired only", and they give you about a 5 foot cable. There is no table, by the internet, so you have to sit on the foot of the bed to use it. Bathroom is very small. The breakfast buffet is very limited, and the coffee looked like weak tea. The staff was courteous - but certainly not "family", as a previous reviewer stated. Aside from the price and the fairly comfortable bed, it was one of the worst hotel rooms I've stayed in in the last 10 years, and I stay in a lot!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Been to Quality Inn East? Share your experiences!