“Fair hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #71 of 89 Hotels in Knoxville
ama1221
“Fair hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2007

Stayed here while traveling to Nashville. I had no complaints, however the rooms are very small. It is more ideal for a single business traveler than for a family. I had no issues in my room, but my parents who were sharing the adjoining room didn't have hardly enough room to get ready in the morning.

Overall, the room was clean, just very tiny.

Stayed March 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Jamestown, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2007

Hands down, this hotel remains the best value in the city of Knoxville. The price is right, it is a safe and quiet property, and the staff is an amazingly friendly group of people. For those reasons, I won't stay anywhere else on the Northern, Southern, or Eastern sides of Knoxville.

However, this hotel constantly embodies the same downfalls. First and foremost, it STINKS! Many of the rooms, particularly on the lower parking lot level, have an odd, moldy aroma to them. It has been there for months as far as I know, so I assume it isn't going away anytime soon. My daughter is mildly asthmatic, so I have to pay attention to these things. For some reason, the odor does not bother her; but it makes me livid. Often, we can switch rooms, sometimes going through 2 or 3 before we find a "better" one; but this is a very petite hotel and they can fill up rather quickly, so switching isn't always a possibility.

Last time we stayed here, a few weeks ago, there was a great deal of hair on my blankets and in the bathrooms. I average about 200 nights a year in a hotel room, so I know a little hair won't kill me; but sometimes, it really puts a damper on your comfort level.

On this particular stay I had an extra discomfort of a leaking toilet I discovered on a night time trip to the potty in which my pajama pant legs became soaked. But, in all fairness, this isn't a regualr problem of which I am aware.

And last of my major notes is that the breakfast here is a seriously abbreviated version of what you can generally find in a Choice Property Hotel (Comfort, Quality, Clarion, etc.) I'm not the biggest fan of the standard Comfort Inn breakfast you can usually find as I prefer eggs and bacon and the hot sausage gravy over biscuits (some have them, but not always); but this place skimps by on bruised bananas, bagels, and pastries. But, one positive note is that they usually leave the cereal cannister out all day and the kids love that.

The pool is small, but gets the job done. The location is somewhat out of the way and tends to lean towards lone businessmen, so the gals and I usually have the place to ourselves as far as swimming and a sit-down breakfast.

Again, I thoroughly enjoy and appreciate the value of this hotel, and I hope you will too if you are in the Knoxville area. Just be wary of the smelly rooms and small breakfast, and you should be pleased in getting what you pay for.

Anywhere else will either be $30 or more a night or will be unbearably disappointing...

• Liked — Outstanding Value, Friendly Staff, Quiet Location
  • Disliked — Stinky Rooms, Smaller Breakfast Selections
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2006

I used this hotel as a base to explore the entire area around Knoxville. It is a few exits away from Downtown so traffic is not a big issue. It is right off the freeway, but I did not experience any road noise. The staff was friendly and helpful and when I realized I had forgotten a few toiletries, they provided them free of charge. Right off the lobby, there are two computer desks providing free high-speed internet, which came in handy for last minute planning. When I come back to Knoxville, which I hope is soon since I really enjoyed the city, I will stay here again.

• Liked — Great Staff
  • Stayed October 2005, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2006

It took us 15 minutes to find the hotel. The shower was filthy. There was a used shampoo bottle in the shower & dirt on the bottom of the shower floor so it was obvious it had not been cleaned. The sheets continously came off of the bed. It was a pain having to redress the matress everytime we turned over. When asked about my stay I told the staff about the shower & his reponse was "Housekeeping wasn't here yestersday."That's all he said! I didn't expect the Hilton, but I did expect at least to have a clean shower! It really made me question the cleanliness of the rest of the room and hotel. The only positive remark I can make about this hotel is that they did have a good breakfast.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Johnson City, TN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2006

If it wasn't for the staff, I would have given this hotel 1 star. I have stayed at Sleep Inns before and have been pleased. So I thought I was getting a bargin at this property with my $52 rate. First thing I noticed was the small lobby and breakfast area. Wasn't in great shape. Got to my non smoking room and it reeked of smoke. Went to change rooms and found all they had left were smoking rooms, but the clerk got some keys so I could see how they were. We tried a couple before I found one that didn't smell at all. Got settled in, turned back the bed and found hairs on the pillow and sheets. Back to the lobby to try another room. The next one had some smoke smell but I thought it was ok for 1 night. At least it was clean. In addition to this problem, the cover on the air conditioners in both rooms were falling off. They didn't even have them on and it was about 95 outside so the rooms were hot. All up and down the hallway, the wallpaper was peeling. I found other problems too, but I guess they were minor. When I went to breakfast, they only had 4 tables (and the hotel was sold out), so I just drove to Cracker Barrel. Guess I learned my lesson on this one, from now on I will spend the extra $20 to stay at the Comfort Suites.

2 good points about the property. The lighting in the room was some of the best (brightest) I have ever had in a hotel room, and even though it was full, the hotel was quiet.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business

Been to Sleep Inn? Share your experiences!