“So BAD it was funny!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 18 Hotels in Kingsport
Kentucky
“So BAD it was funny!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2009

I was in Kingsport with 2 friends (we're all female) for a business trip. The hotel actually doesn't look too bad from the exterior, although the parking lot was nearly deserted. That should have tipped us off. We knew immediately when we started down the hall to our room that this was going to be interesting (and not in a good way). Yes, there they were right next to the elevator.....condom vending machines. Tres chic! I thought I'd seen some crappy hotels, but never anything like this.
The carpets are filthy, the lighting dingy. Numbers to the rooms are missing in some cases and the room number appears to have been written in magic marker (on the wall) rather than having the number sign replaced.
The room was worse, way worse, than your worst nightmare of a room. No bigger than a dorm room. There are actually mirrors at the head of the bed (they run the full length)! I don't even want to think about the possibilities in a room with 2 double beds. Between the beds are two switches........we carefully switched them on, thinking the beds just might vibrate....but, whew, they were only light switches. The drapes bore some kind of large stain. We decided that either someone had been bludgeoned to death in there or had thrown a pot of coffee in that direction.
The front desk is haphazardly manned, which probably explains why they wanted payment in advance....plus, you know, all those people that would want to flee at first sight of their accomodations. We would have run away, we really would have if only we had the time to find another place to stay before we had to be somewhere for a meeting (fitness training, actually).
Unless you're into ridiculously bad hotels, definitely do not go to the Kingsport Stadford Inn. It is now etched in my mind as the worst hotel I've ever experienced.

• Liked — Hot water was plentiful
  • Disliked — that this hotel is allowed to operate
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Savannah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2008

This place has excellent room rates, quite a bit cheaper than other hotels in the area! The staff is friendly and willing to help in whatever way they can. The hotel has a "safe" feel to it because entry to the rooms is from a hallway, rather than an outside door. Management seems to always have several rooms blocked-off for remodeling, and I must have gotten one of the recently-remodeled rooms. It was comfortable, and I will definitely visit again!

Stayed January 2008
florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2008

Rooms were nice. If I did have a problem like i ran out of towels then I would go to the front desk, and the manager would help me. I found out this motel is under new management. Previous review mentioned that it wasnt up to standards. They really turned around the place. I would recommend this place to anyone who needs to stay in a nice clean, inexpensive motel. I highly recommend it

• Liked — everyone is friendly
  • Disliked — nothing... everyhting was great
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2007

This is a/k/a Microtel Inn. Seems they have lost their franchise - and housekeeping dept. Hall carpeting looks like it hasn't been vacuumed or cleaned in a year, and room is no better. Comforter had holes and stains, desk chair had stains and holes in cushion. They offer wifi, but could never get on, was only able to connect to Best Value Inn next door. A/C was noisy. Bathroom amenities included 2 bath towels that appeared to be dirty and a bar of that cheap soap in the silver wrapper. Thats it. Breakfast was pecan spins or bagels, sunny d or coffee. This place was a ripoff even at 39.95, left after one night.

• Liked — It was in Kingsport
  • Disliked — Filthiness
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
roanoke,virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2006

We went into this location the Sunday evening after the Nascar race. Bad timing on our part. I knew we were in trouble when we pulled into parking lot and trash cans were overflowing. I didn't want to take my shoes off in our room. A light ran the length of our bed with lint encrusted on it. The comforter had burn marks on it. Our non smoking room reeked of smoke. We are not the type of people to make waves but I still regret that we didn't. My husband and I are business owners and our clientele would not let us get away with running our business in this manner. Not that we would want to. This business is in a great location but needs some tender loving care.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay here
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dayton, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2005

I stayed here during the Bristol NASCAR race weekend. I booked a queen, non-smoking room over the internet, sight unseen. Stupid me. The room was supposed to have a coffeemaker, alarm clock, hairdryer, iron/ironing board, satellite, data ports, etc. I got a TV with cable and an alarm clock. I wasn't expecting the Taj Mahal, but I certainly didn't expect this rat hole. The staff at check-in was rude and abrubt. The room smelled like an ashtry, looked like a brothel, and was about as big as a walk-in closet. Everything was putrid pink with teal carpet. (At least I think it was teal...it was too dirty and stained to really tell for sure.) There was a long black mirror that ran the length of the wall just above the bed. (I guess it was supposed to be the heardboard but it made the room look like an hourly-rate room, if you know what I mean). The bed was uncomfortable and the pillows were like pancakes. The sink had dried toothpaste in the basin. The toilet seat was grungy and the toilet bowl had a black ring in it. The bathtub had a black ring and a LARGE clump of hair in the drain, like someone had just recently bathed in the tub. There was hair all over the floor. The whole room (bathroom included) looked like it hadn't been cleaned in months. Since I couldn't find any staff (it appeared only one person was working), I left a note on the front desk asking that the room be cleaned before my return that evening. When I returned, same dirty room. I went to the supply room (since there still wasn't anyone at the desk) and helped myself to the Comet, a rag and some clean sheets. After cleaning my own room, I returned the supplies and dirty sheets in full sight of the person behind the desk. I got no apology, no acknowledgment, not even an attempt at a lame excuse. The next day, I received clean towels, the bed was made (not chaged) and the garbage was emptied. Then I noticed the tip envelope for housekeeping. I thought, who are you kidding? Tip YOU for cleaning my room? But you didn't clean my room, I did. Sure, OK. I left her $2 in the hopes that the room might get a little attention the following day. (Also hoping that the cleaning staff wouldn't put something in my toothpaste or shampoo for stiffing them.) Again - stupid me. Clean towels, the bed was made and the garbage emptied. And another tip envelope. I got a little smarter that day. The tip I left - remodel the entire hotel, invest in a good steam cleaner and clean the rooms. I checked out. The rate for all of this pampering? Well, since it was race weekend, I expected to pay a higher rate for the room. My rate? $175/night plus tax - over $600 for 3 nights! No use in complaining when no one is listening; this hotel is independently owned and operated. However, I will be contacting Microtel Inn and Suites Quality Assurance department to let them know that this property is a disgrace to their corporate name and reputation. If I would have known then what I know now, I wouldn't have given a dollar to stay in this hotel. And you shouldn't either.

• Stayed August 2005

Been to Stradford Inn? Share your experiences!