“I want to give it an "excellent" rating, but....” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Johnson City, Tennessee
“I want to give it an "excellent" rating, but....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

The barbecue is excellent with an assortment of sauces available at each table. ("Maybe It Was Memphis"--YUM!) Their spiral fries and smokehouse beans are wonderful. I'm not much of a dessert fan, but theirs are great. Service has always been warm, friendly, and attentive. However, as a family restaurant, we don't appreciate the slogans with double entendres. Therefore, we go elsewhere for barbecue. If not for the juvenile slogans, we would probably be there every week.

Visited April 2013

Chatham-Kent, Ontario
“Food okay, but could do better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Pratt's was able to accomodate our large group from a basketball team, so that is why we chose to eat there. The atmosphere is poor and it felt like we were going to be eating in a barn/abbatoir when we arrived. It had the smell of raw meat when we arrived and not in a good way. We were very limited in where we could eat with a large group so we stayed. Had I been with just our family of 4 I would not have sat down. We were pleasantly surprised with the food as it was better than we expected. We shared the deep fried pickles for an appetizer. My husband really liked the BBQ sausage, our daughter liked her pulled pork sandwich, and I enjoyed the smoked chicken sandwich. Our son had the half rack of ribs and liked them although not nearly the best he has had. All of the meats are cooked dry and you have to add the BBQ sauce of your choice on the table. I think this method of cooking may lead to some lost of moisture and flavour when cooking. Although it was better than expected, I would not return or recommend to others.

Visited July 2013
Saint Paul, Virginia
“One of my absolute favorite restaurants!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

Pratt's has superb country cooking and barbecue dishes. I have been eating there for many years now. I highly enjoy their dessert menu as well. I can't ever easily decide which one to choose, and I am a picky person! I especially love their buffets for lunch and on weekends. I don't know what they do to their ham to make it so delicious, but I am a huge fan. They have several homemade barbecue sauces to choose from. Even vegetarians have several side items and salads from which they can select.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Kingsport, Tennessee
“Excellent BBQ!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

The best in East Tennessee! Great building with the giant Indian in front. Great lunch buffet and dinner menu. Sauces and BBQ are all out of this world.

Highly recommended!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“Glad we found it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

The young man at the desk where we stayed suggested Pratt's as one of several places that had southern style food, including BBQ. We drove by a couple others before Pratt's and decided it looked like a good place to try. My husband had pulled pork and I ordered smoked turkey and brisket and we shared. With the variety of sauces in the table, we were able to find our favorites for each of the meats. The side dishes, including fried okra and macaroni and cheese were very good, and while the brisket was more like sliced prime rib, all of the meats were flavorful. Service was prompt and friendly, and there were quite a few people for late on on Thursday evening. A place we'd visit again.

• Visited May 2013