“Sleep in your car before staying here.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Colonial Inn

You added Colonial Inn to your Saves list
Colonial Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   4234 Fort Henry Drive, I-81 Highway 36 @ Exit 59, Kingsport, TN 37663   |
Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Kingsport
Kingsport, Tennessee
“Sleep in your car before staying here.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

I'm not usually very picky about where we stay. This hotel was cheap and close to the family we were visiting. Colonial Heights is also usually a very nice area. But this hotel was a huge mistake. It was dirty. There were spiders in our bathroom and all the faucets were rusty and gross. The bed sheets didn't look clean and I'm pretty sure I found some puberty hair in ours. We had an extra blanket and pillow in the car that I insisted my child use because I was honestly concerned there may be bed bugs. I did not see any. But I'm surprised because cleanliness was obviously not one of this hotels priorities. The man at the check-in desk was cranky and felt the need to inspect my military id as if it wasn't me or wasn't real or something. There were several random cars coming and going all night in the parking lot outside our door. I suspected they were selling drugs or something but they were obviously not staying at the hotel. It was just a very sketchy place. I'd rather sleep in a car then step foot in that place again. Take the advice from myself and many others- you don't want to stay at this dump....

• Stayed April 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Charlottesville, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

OK, this is not the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in but I've paid more and got less. Disclaimer: It was late in the evening, I'd been driving all day and wanted a place near the interstate with a place to eat nearby. The Colonial Inn filled my simple requirements. Yes, I was lead to believe it was a Best Western but it wasn't a deal breaker because it wasn't. The CI is certainly showing its age but it wasn't dirty like others have claimed and I got a good nights sleep. The man at the front desk was friendly, helpful, and suggested the Crazy Tomato next door - also good - not great - but you're in Kingsport, TN, which is somewhere in TN along I-81. Breakfast also met my expectations, again, pretty simple: bowl of cereal and a yogurt. Considering the price I paid this was a pretty good deal.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Queen Creek, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

This hotel is advertised as Best Western Colonial Inn on Garmin, Google, etc. but it's far from a Best Western. I have never slept in such a pig sty in my life. I took pictures of urine stains on couch. The bedspread had blood and possibly urine stains on it....we threw it over on the couch. Neither my husband or I slept very well...didn't even take out our toothbrushes....just got up a few hours after checking in and left. Got to our next hotel before showering. My husband woke up in the morning with his socks on...I couldnt figure out why....until he showed me the blood/candy stains on the sheets. This place is a disaster!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

We stayed at the Colonial Inn for a Nascar race in Bristol, which is about 20 minutes away. Check in was simple, the gentleman at the counter was super nice and told us of all the restaurants nearby who offered discounts by showing your room key. The hotel is an older property and had it's quirks. The bathroom sink drained very slow and the exhaust fan made a horrendous noise when first turned on but the room was clean, all of the staff were very friendly and I would stay here again. If you're looking for a fancy place, look elsewhere. If you're looking for a good nights sleep, it works just fine.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
APPLETON
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

You get what you pay for. The room was less than comfortable. First sign was the leaky faucet in the bathtub. I pushed down the shower button, and red/rusty/brown water came flowing out. The bathtub was not clean. The phone did not work. There wasn't a coffee pot for the coffee maker. The "fitness room" does not exist. There wasn't an alarm clock in the room. I had made the reservation in December online, however when we arrived, it took a while for someone to come and register me. There wasn't a reservation that he could find but thank goodness I had printed off my confirmation email from Travel.com. The maid came in while we were out and left on the lights. The beds were not made but the towels were replaced. The toilet paper was not filled however the empty Kleenex box was replaced. The carpeting feels sticky. There was not vending machines for ice. We were here for 4 days and will never come back again nor refer this "Bates Motel" to anyone else.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
McMinnville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

We booked this hotel for a couple of our construction workers that were doing a project in the area and needed a decent place to rest and relax. However this place was beyond nasty, the shower curtain would not stay up, the tub looked like it had never been washed and was filled with rust and mold in the corners. The bed smelled horrible and the sheets, well they would have been better off sleeping in their dirty work clothes. The breakfast was a joke, a piece of sausage that was wrapped in plastic to heat in the microwave.
We travel all over the southeast doing commercial roofing and have stayed in many places and this one is by far one of the worst. I'm actually sorry we had to waste our money on such a nasty place. Don't waste your money and stay here not even as a last resort. Please choose wisely. I hope this review helps others not to make the mistake of staying here.

Room Tip: No room is good, the hotel is old, smelly and the staff are not friendly either.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Chattanooga, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Colonial Inn was recommended by a staff member at the Tennessee welcome center. I was told upfront it was not the "Ritz," but a reasonable, comfortable older motel. And it was. The room was clean, some of the furniture worn and showing age, but otherwise a decent accommodation with all the expected amenities. The one staff member I met was extremely courteous and helpful. Good breakfast, too. Close to many restaurants; several within walking distance. Oh, and good Wi-Fi as well!

I would recommend it to all my friends except those who must stay at the BEST ($$$) locations. While not glitzy, it was the best room I had in a week long trip and I stayed in some properties of much greater repute and expense.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Been to Colonial Inn? Share your experiences!