“Not as good as before” 2 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Unicoi, TN
“Not as good as before”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

This restaurant used to be one of the best in the area but now due to change in mgt or whatever it is not near as good as before.
The food on the buffet is almost cold sometimes.

Visited March 2013

Tennessee
“Good for a chain buffet”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I go to golden corral when we want a buffet with a lot of choices and are very hungry.

The food varies a great deal in quality but there is so much that if you keep trying things you will find something you like. The rolls are really fantastic, definitely don't miss them. My husband swears their cheese biscuits are better than Red Lobster's. In particular, the pork loin when they have it is wonderful as is the fried chicken and the baked tilapia with shrimp. They have a wonderful ice cream bar. The salad bar has a lot of variety including seasonal fresh fruit and strawberries year round.

Some things to avoid: The mashed potatoes are straight from a pack of instant and often runny without even pretending to have any butter or milk in them. The steak which they usually are cooking on the grill is very fatty and has very little seasoning. It is usually charred tasting on the outside and tough and flavorless inside. And I wouldn't eat anything from the chocolate fountain. I have seen so many kids with nasty hands and adults even get their fingers in there, lick them off, and put them back in with some other crudite. It is nasty.

The biggest complain we have with Golden Corral is the service. Getting drink refills after the one they give you at the counter is like pulling teeth. I think in all the years we have been going there we have gotten good service three times, and I even tell them when we sit down that we drink a lot, they might want to bring us an extra glass. I would probably go more often, if they did away with the crappy waitresses and put in a self serve drink bar like most fast food places have.

I saw where someone else had complained about the smell, there is a pervasive smell of fish and cooking vegetables when you walk in, but that is to be expected in a place that cooks buffet all day long.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Don't expect common courtesy from the management.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

While getting up from my seat, I had to step aside for one of the managers as he headed to the office. This person did not acknowledge me with either an "excuse me", or a smile and say "good afternoon."
I guess it is part of the training to be employed by Golden Corral not to reenforce common courtesies towards the customer.
This was not the first encounter with lack of countesy at this location.
The cashier also could use training in courteous behavior towards the customer. For example, after paying for my meal, the cashier shoved my change at me in a piled heap. The coins fell out of her hand.
But how can one expect courteous behavior from the employees, if management fails in this regard?

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Piney Flats, Tennessee
“Lots of food for fair fee”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Golden Corral, in Johnson City is become our place to go when we can not decide what type of food we want to eat. Hear we can get beef, chicken, pork, fish, Mexican, pizza, etc. Something for everyone.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Piney Flats, Tennessee
“On a downward slide”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I took my kids there because one of them wanted to go for his birthday. The reward for sharing his birthday was paying $1 more. Then, the cashier was unable to count my change and the manager had to help her. I'm sorry, but if you can't count money when the register tells you exactly how much change to give, you should not be a cashier. Not moving her to another location is a management failure. The food quality has gotten worse since my last trip. The restrooms were filthy and smelled terrible. I nearly lost my lunch when I went in there. If the places where the customers see are that nasty, I must ask how clean they keep the places where the customers don't see.

• Visited October 2012