“The Best Chinese Food in the TriCities” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #11 of 268 Restaurants in Johnson City
Cuisines: Chinese
Blountville, Tennessee
“The Best Chinese Food in the TriCities”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

The Magic Wok may not be much to look at but it is boasts the best Chinese food in the TriCities. We love the Szechaun style cuisine and can recommend all the dishes. But don't take my word for it. The Chinese American community in this area frequents the restaurant more than any other. I have hosted several mainland Chinese through my work and found after talking with my Chinese American friends that this was the place to take them so that they would feel at home. All my guests have loved this place and the food. GO!

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Johnson City, Tennessee
“Best Eggrolls in town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

This Chinese food establishment has been around for years in Johnson City. I love the traditional menu with Kang Peng Chicken, Sweet & Sour Chicken, and a garlic pork dish that's tasty. They have a newer menu that is Szechuan that my husband usually orders from when we go. Everyone in our family loves the food here. The egg drop soup is tasty and thick. My favorite item is the eggrolls, they are simply to best in my opinion. The place is pretty dumpy looking but who cares, the food is good and the price is right. Very conveniently located close to downtown and ETSU.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Appalachian Mountains
“Authentic hot and spicy recipes from China's Szechuan region available here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

Johnson City is a university town (ETSU) and there are quite a few Chinese students nearby and this is where they go to eat. There are 2 menus. One features the Chinese food most people are familiar with (General Tso chicken etc). The other menu is Szechuan. I had the shredded pork appetizer from the Szechuan menu and wow, it was big, a lot of food, very filling, and very spicy/hot (in a good way). My wife had the minced fish and cilantro soup. She liked those a lot. Eggrolls were a bit bland, but overall was pleased with the meal at Magic Wok Chinese Restaurant in Johnson City, Tn.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Arizona
“Food very fresh....Just kinda bland”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

We love Chinese food. This restaurant has very fresh food. My husband really liked his General Tzo's (spelling?) chicken. I liked my Chicken Chow Mein okay, but just thought it was kind of bland. The sweet & sour sauce I added was good, but again, kind of lacking in flavor. I would go here again, but it wouldn't be my favorite, but it's not bad food, just bland.

Kingston, Tennessee
“Kan Peng Chicken was excellent, Service very good as well.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2010

I ate lunch here on a friend's recommendation on June 24th 2010. We had garlic chicken and kan peng chicken and both were very good. Huge portions for lunch, with rice, egg roll, and soup choice. The sweet Tea is Jasmine, and excellent (also Southern sweet). A friend craves the kan peng sauce from her days at the nearby university, and they even gave me a cup in a styrofoam container to take back. Excellent service, would happily return.

• 4 of 5 stars Food