“Great food and history” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Unicoi, Tennessee, United States
“Great food and history”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

Older restaurant that it beeping inside a historic fire hall in Johnson city food is wonderful highly recommended little pricey but worth it

Elizabethton, Tennessee
“Leftover Baked Potatoes & Poor Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Four of us went for an early dinner, around 4:00 p.m. The first thing we asked our male server was whether the baked potatoes were fresh. We had gotten baked potatoes there before that were not fresh. Our server didn't offer to check with the kitchen, but said they were baked fresh all during the day. Based on that, we all went ahead and ordered the baked potatoes. They were NOT fresh. Later, a couple of ladies were seated behind us, and they asked if the baked potatoes were fresh. Their female server went to the kitchen, came back and said they were NOT fresh, and were from 10:00 a.m. I just feel like the owner is not interested in keeping up the standards Firehouse USED to be known for. Firehouse was our favorite BBQ place at one time.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta, Georgia
“Where there's smoke, there's...bad ribs?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I'm a huge fan of BBQ. I'm the type of person who plans a trip through North Carolina on I-95 around a good local BBQ place. I was excited to try The Firehouse in Johnson City based on the reviews, but unfortunately, my overall experience was a let down.

Location: It's very close to ETSU campus, or if you are staying at The Carnegie or the Hampton Inn. They have 2 buildings side-by-side: the restaurant and the catering building. It's easy to find with plenty of parking.

Atmosphere: It is an old fire station, and they have neat things inside: an old fire truck, pictures, helmets, etc. It's laid back, and they have tables and booths. The dining areas are separated from each other, and I think this helps prevent large crowds and excessive noise.

Service/Staff: Everyone is helpful, friendly, and easy to talk to. The staff made eye contact and smiled, which is nice. Issue: My server didn't pick up the hint that there was a problem with my ribs. I told him the ribs were tough and on the chewy side, and although he offered an apology, it ended there. The manager was not informed by the server. I told the manager before leaving the restaurant and filled out a customer satisfaction card. I was eating by myself so I had plenty of spare time.

Food quality: I ordered combo #2: the pulled pork and half rack of ribs. The pork, cole slaw, broccoli, and garlic bread were fine. It wasn't the best pork I've had, but it still tasted good. The ribs were bad. I was told I had to wait an extra 20 minutes or so for new ribs to be prepared, and I guess the red flag should have gone up. If you are told extra time is needed for the ribs, pass on them. I was really looking forward to tasty ribs. I never got them. Chili's could have made better. Well, maybe.

Would I recommend? If you are in town and need a BBQ fix, try it. Hopefully you will have better luck with the ribs. It's funny that my server said he prefers Ridgewood. I haven't done any research about this BBQ place, but if you are interested and are willing to drive farther, look it up online. I may consider it next time I need BBQ.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Fountain Hills, Arizona
“Very nice - but nothing special”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Our party of 6 tried a variety of meals.. pulled pork platter; half rack of ribs; chicken quarter; etc.... all were good.. but nothing particularly differentiating. Service was very good and pricing was very reasonable. The kids split a dessert and were fine. The sides tried included the coleslaw, dinner salad, hashbrowns, bbq baked beans and all were good. It was a nice experience and a nice place to have in town. There are more "unique" bbqs around the country however.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
“Very Good food with even better service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012 via mobile

Ate here during a softball tournament. BBQ is very moist and portions are plenty. The baked potatoes are really baked and not microwaved. The beans are excellent and are enough to feed two. Wonderful sweet tea!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere