“Not that Great” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Unicoi, TN
“Not that Great”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Liked the decor of the place but not that impressed with the food. Wait staff just average. Do not plan to eat there again.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

71% Recommend
Unicoi, Tennessee
“Good food, poor service quality.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

My husband and I went on a Sunday. He ordered tilapia and grits and I ordered shrimp and grits. We asked the waitress if we could substitute the beans for the cole slaw. She nodded her head. When the food came, they had given us the beans and the slaw. We left the slaw untouched. When our bill came, the beans were added on to the price for each meal. We told the young lady at the register about it. At first, she went ahead and left the prices as they were. Then, after we again explained to her what happened, she decided to lower the price. I told her it would have been fine if the waitress had told us upfront. I don't know if these very young employees have not been trained well or what the problem is. I will pay more if needed, but it is bad business to operate so unprofessionally.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Jonesborough
“Interesting place; heavy good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We went for lunch this week to Salt n' Pepper. The decor is full of music memorabilia with old vinyl 45's and 33's dominating the space. An electic mix of music mostly 80's vintage while we were there played from the stereo. We got the onion rings for an appetizer $5. My husband got them for me mostly since I love most rings, but he liked these especially. The dipping sauce was on the thin side but extremely tasty. My husband got the daily special for $10 which was smothered pork chops. He got mac and cheese and potatoes and onions for sides. He liked the pork chops covered in a very tasty gravy and also served with a white corn bread johnny cake. The sides were nothing special though. I got the fish po' boy sandwich for $8. It came with a generous portion of french fries. The bread on the sandwich was crusty and good. The fish was lightly battered and the po- boy was dressed - meaning it had tomatoes, pickles, and coleslaw. I enjoyed it a lot. I got coffee and my husband diet pepsi, each $2. So our bill was almost $30 with tax plus a $5 tip - a bit pricey for lunch but we didn't need to eat anything else the rest of the day except for some cheese and crackers. I would give them a try again. My husband would like to try their meatloaf but it wasn't available the day we visited. They are closed on Monday and Tuesday. Open 11-8 other days except Sunday when they open at noon and close at 5. We went on a Wednesday at 11 a.m. We were the first customers so we didn't have to wait long for our food.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Johnson City, Tennessee
“Quality was good, but portions/price ratio? Not so much”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I got chicken and waffles which amounted to two chicken wings on half a waffle. I have never been anywhere that served chicken wings as a part of this meal...always tenders or breast. My date got shrimp and grits which were like 4 shrimp in a tiny bowl of grits. We both loved the food, but felt like we had been robbed for the price.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Pensacola, Florida
“Good food, good service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

The clerk at our hotel recommended Salt and Pepper so we thought we would give it a try. My friend wanted to try the chicken and waffles. Neither of us particularly think they compliment each other, but that was some of the best homemade fried chicken either of us have ever tasted. We had an appetizer of fried chicken livers which were served with ranch for dipping. Who would have thought this would be good together? Very delicious!
I ordered the hamburger steak, mashed potatoes and corn. It tasted just like my grandma cooked it and that means it was awesome. We will make sure to eat there when visiting the area again.

• Visited January 2013