“DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 20 hotels in Johnson City
Catsville
“DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

My son and I went to the Bristol Nascar race in Bristol, TN. We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights, the night before the race and the night of the race. We arrived at 11:30 PM Sat night. They said they had to rebook because I arrived so late. Although they called my wife at home around 11:00 pm to see if I was still coming. I called them back and said what time I would be there. So I don't understand why they cancelled my reservation. So I was told that I would have to pay each night separate. I said ok. They charged my room for the first night. We get up go to the race come back and we are not in are room five minutes I get a call from the front desk that I need to come pay for the second night. ok. We leave Monday morning ~ check out ~ nothing else said. I get home check my checking account a few days later, they are 3 different charges from the Volunteer Lodge. 2 charges and then the third charge which is the total of the 2 other charges combined. So I called the hotel, the person on the desk said she would give the manager the message that I was double charged. Never heard from him. In the meantime I contacted my bank to reverse the third charge and after 2 weeks received notice back that the charge would not go in my favor. The hotel had sent their reply that I paid for my friends room also, who is a man from Florida and I live in Pennsylvania. When I called the hotel again finally getting to talk to the manager (after 10 calls) he said very nastily that he did not charge my card 3 times and started using language no where near appropriate for this site. I told him I was holding the 3 charges in my hand from the bank ~ he kept insisting he didn't charge my 3 times. He was so rude would not let me explain a full sentence without cutting me off and calling me explitives. I will NEVER stay here again, I will NEVER recommend this hotel. I will post again when my lawyer straightens everything out.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay here!! location was the only good thing about this hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

9 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Delray, West Virginia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Nastiest room ever.not cleaned or painted in years.he carpet is sticky to touch.no place to hang clothes.holes,stains and mold covered walls.mirrors and windows all smeared and not wiped.bedding and towels badly stained.bad smell in there. no bath tissue in room. police patrol all around.owner not nice and ripped me off when i said i was not going to stay the second day.warned everyone i know who goes to bristol or johnson city to steer clear of this horrid place.wish i'd slept in the truck at wal-mart instead.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Saint Albans, Vermont
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

We went down as a group and stayed at the Volunteer Lodge based on price and the pictures on the web page. We were quoted one price when we booked it but was chaged a higher price when we checked out. When I got my bank statement I found they charged my credit card an additional $9.16 per room and an additional charge of $50.00. They said we had damaged the rooms and charged us for it. I called to complain and it took three days of calls before I spoke to a manager. After discussing the alleged damages he agreed to reimburse me the damage fees. I have yet to see that money. It's been two weeks. The hotel pictures are very decieving. The bed linens had many bodily fluid stains on them. One shower had brown water coming out. It was not a good experience at all. I do not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

Before the Volunteer Lodge was a bad place to stay, however now it is one of the greatest and cheapest hotels in Johnson City. The new owners are very friendly and willing to go the extra mile to comfort the guests. They have cleaned up the place very nicely and the rooms are much much more cleaner and better! The breakfast is phenomenal and very good for continental breakfast. I must say Volunteer Lodge is the next place to stay (again) when I come back to Johnson City!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2008

This is the worst motel I have ever stayed in. I had no hot water in shower, no cold water in sink, phone was broken, bare wires hanging out of wall where smoke detector should have been, absolutely filthy, and Sunday evening when I came in dripping wet from thunderstorm, all my towels and soap were gone! The air conditioner did not work and carpeting, floor molding, and bottoms of walls looked like had been chewed on by rats. I did not feel safe because lock on door did not work so wedged chair against door. Friday the sidewalks were lined with large trash bags which were still there Monday AM. Children in room next door were allowed to run up and down and then body slam into guests doors as late as midnight! Whenever I went to the office to complain, it was locked with a sign stating,"Out checking property, back in ten minutes." What a joke, no one ever appeared and I checked, there was no one around. I could not even get a receipt or formally check out because office was locked at 9 AM. This place should be inspected by public health and demolished!

• Liked — did have oversize vehicle parking
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2008

This was the worst hotel i have ever stayed in my life. I wish we had read the review on this hotel before we made reservations.
The other could'nt have been more correct, this place needs to be demolished. There was mold around the tub, the water control fell off, the water spigot was loose and about to fall off. There was a q-tip along side the boxspring of the bed,there was hair on the tub wall. The carpet was filthy and it was supposed to be a non-smoking room, but i think it was a smoking room with just a sign on the outside saying no-smoking. I wanted to leave but we arrived at 1:30 in the morning and had to go to the Days Inn next door to get our key so we made the best of it . Econo Lodge will never get any more of our business. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The filthy smoky smell
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
KY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2007

Never Again! I arrived at at Econolodge at 11:30pm after working all day.My wife called the hotel and had everything ready to go so I could just get the key and go to my room.The first thing I saw when opened the door to my room was a cockroach.I should have turned around and left right then,but I was so exhausted I was seeing double.Got into the shower and noticed water pipes sticking out of the shower wall about four inches.Finally got to the bed.Turned down the blankets,and the sheets were funky.Cigarette burns,and stains.I was beside myself!If I had the energy, I would have raised three kinds of he**!I pulled the blanket back up over the sheets,got a shirt out of my luggage and used it for a blanket.I may have dozed a total of two hours.I've contacted Choice Hotels about this dump,and if I dont hear from them within a week,I will never stay with Choice again.I most certainly will Not be staying here again!

• Liked — Front desk were nice-but no knowledge of choice priviledges program-ended up not mattering.
  • Disliked — Everything!
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Volunteer Lodge? Share your experiences!