“Lots of good info, but LONG” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 11 Activities in Johnson City
More attraction details
Owner description: Appalachian GhostWalks' East Tennessee Smoky Mountain and Virginia Southern Highlands Ghost and History Tours are guided, lantern-led haunted historic tours presented by professionally Certified Ghost Hunters who recount true "spine-tingling" stories of real history and real ghosts. Everyone is invited to bring the whole family, or tour group on a haunted history adventure in what the Cherokee called "Shaconage" - the land of blue smoke!Fourteen different Tennessee Ghost and History Tours located here in the heart of the Northeastern Tennessee and Southwest Virginia Mountains include Historic Dandridge, Erwin and Unicoi County Heritage Museum, the East Tennessee State University Campus, Tipton-Haynes State Historic Site, Greeneville, Rogersville, Blountville, downtown Johnson City's "Little Chicago GhostWalk", Gatlinburg, and Jonesborough - once listed on the Travel Channel as one of the top ten most haunted towns in America! Other haunted historic tours presently include the historic districts of Bristol, also known as the "Birthplace of Country Music" and Abingdon, Virginia - the "Gateway to America's First Western Frontier".Back by popular demand is the "Legendary Cherokee Bigfoot Adventure".
Washington DC, District of Columbia
7 attraction reviews
“Lots of good info, but LONG”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We have done a lot of ghost tours and try to take a ghost walk in every town we visit in order to learn the history and back stories of each unique place. We booked this ghost tour in advance online with no issues. The website stated up to two hours but the tour ended up being at least 3 hours. Luckily we didn't mind, but this could be tough for kids as the 8pm tour ended after 11pm. The guide was excellent and provided a few interesting tales and seemed to know a lot about the town. I think that next time we would double check in advance on the length of the tour so that we would know to bring a water bottle and decent walking shoes! There are no restroom stops or food stops during the tour. The tour also does not go inside any buildings, only views them from across the street.

Visited May 2013
AppalachnGhostWalks, Guest Relations Manager at Appalachian GhostWalks, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Guest(s)...

Thanks for your review of our tours and services. While most folks enjoy the added time our guides put into each and every tour, we understand some folks like a shorter duration. That's why we make it clear to all of our guests that if you must leave early, you are welcome to disembark the tour at any time should other engagement keep you from attending. End times vary and greatly depending on each group and how much fun the group is having. You guys must have had a great night!! Again, thanks for the review and hope to see you again soon!!!

Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
“Haunted Appalachian Caverns Ghostwalk”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

The walk through the caverns was amazing. The amount of time alone was well worth the taking the tour. This is not your typical half hour walk through a cave and then you leave. We spent several hours going through the cave and the historical knowledge we were exposed to was top notch as well as the "ghostly" experiences. I would recommend this tour for anyone who enjoys caves.

Visited March 2013
AppalachnGhostWalks, Guest Relations Manager at Appalachian GhostWalks, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Guest... We simply can not express the words for your very kind review of your recent tours with us, but thank you so very much. We look forward to seeing you again soon for yet another SPOOK-tacular experience!!! Cordially yours and happy blessings... Appalachian GhostWalks
ypsilanti michigan
21 attraction reviews
“I did not go on a tour I had experience.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I wanted to go but no one was open on the night we went a few days after Xmas..
We could not find no one at the windows so we left.
Decided to walk around ourselves I have a few pictures . I had, a personal experience I did not, get on camera. I went to the building with, the tour guide area it was a old building. Had a cemetery behind it.. I did not know of the history of this place as I was just thinking the building was cool.
I saw what appeared to be out of the corner of my eye a guy in a grey out fit walk through the building I thought oh must be the tour guide maybe I could catch them.
I go to look for them and I go up to the door and it was locked I was like what the hey???
I know for a fact I saw a person go into the door way?
I know my family was on the other side and they reported no one coming ...
Personal experiences suck when, you do not have the proof but it was still cool.

Visited December 2012
AppalachnGhostWalks, Guest Relations Manager at Appalachian GhostWalks, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Dear Friend... We are so sorry we missed you December, but thank you so very much for the review of one of our lovely towns. If your future travel plans bring you this direction, be sure to call us for reservations in advance as all tour are scheduled in this manner. Also, unexplained experiences are reported nightly on our tours and though we let people know this when they call to book with us, you really have to experience it for yourself to believe it. Thanks for sharing this with our prospective and future guests! God's happy blessings to you and yours!!! Stacey Allen, Tour Director, Appalachian GhostWalks
Bristol, Virginia, United States
“So much more than I expected....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My family and I loved every minute of our Spirit Walk with Appalachian Ghostwalks. Our guide, Michael, capitivated our attention the entire time with ghost stories, historical information, funny stories and information about the area. My 10 & 13 year old daughters were interested the entire time. He was able to present the ghost information in a way that peaked their curiousity for the entire walk. He even gave me hints on how to capture a spirit on film...which I am pretty sure that I did during the walk.

The walk was nearly 3 hours long but it seemed to a lot shorter. There was literally no down time during the walk. We were either talking about historic buidlings, ghost stories or legends. It was so much better than I expected it to be. I was sad to see the walk end but am certain that we will return to take another walk.

The walk was family friendly while still being really interesting. I will definitely be taking more ghostwalks/tours in the future. My kids cannot stop talking about the walk and have even had me out visiting historical sites since then. Although this started as entertainment it has my daughters very curious about the past and history in general.

Visited November 2012
AppalachnGhostWalks, Owner at Appalachian GhostWalks, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Guest... When I read your review of our guide's performance, I just had to call him and let him know. He was very touched and we certainly look forward to having you and your lovely family with us again soon. It was just a pleasure to have you with us and look forward to more historically haunted experiences with you in the not so distant future! God's blessings to you and yours this Holiday Season!!!
NY
“Fun, Unforgetable, Unique Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Words can hardly express the experience we had when taking two back-to-back Appalachian GhostWalks tours one day in early November. Our guide was extremely generous with his time, and he slowly inducted us into his ghost-finding methodology by explaining the dowsing process, which we learned to perform as well. Next we went down into an extensive cavern and were treated to a very interesting, spooky, and memorable ghostwalk underground. After emerging about four hours(!) later, we were taken to the streets of Blountville, where our guide took us past several haunted buildings and related their histories to us.

This was a thoroughly unique and unforgettable experience about which we will always have fond memories. Such an experience may not be what everyone is looking for, however: Our guide eschewed the predictable, cheap thrills that so many "ghost hunter" television shows traffic in, and instead gave us a more in-depth ghostwalk that contained more information (historical, religious, and scientific) than the average thrill-seeker might want or expect. But we personally LOVED the 7+ hours that we spent on the Appalachian GhostWalks. If you are open-minded and prepared to be thoroughly entertained by a very unique and erudite tour guide, this is one very worthwhile ghost tour you will never forget.

Visited November 2012
AppalachnGhostWalks, Owner at Appalachian GhostWalks, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Guests... We just wanted to take a moment to express our heartfelt appreciation for your review of your two tours with us in November 2012. We try to exceed each and every guests expections and it is so wonderful when our efforts are rewarded by those king and generous enough to take a moment and reflect on their experiences. As the holiday season approaches, may God's blessings truly rest with you and your family, bringing you safely back to us at some point in the future to explore more of the world of the unexplained throughout America's First Western Frontier - Northeast Tennessee. Once again, thank you so very much for taking the time to post your comments! Stacey Allen, Tour Director and Owner - Appalachian GhostWalks