“Good hotel except in winter” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Johnson City
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Good hotel except in winter”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

Comfort Suites in Johnson City provides nice, clean rooms, has an attentive front desk. The complimentary breakfast ranges from cereals to hot meats and other breakfast items. The hotel property adjoins Logan's Roadhouse and is within walking distance of the Golden Corral. The hotel is located across the road from Walmart in case you need any forgotten items. The shopping areas within a ten-minute drive include several shopping areas and restaurants.

The only concern that I have is that Browns Mill Road has a long, very steep grade and could be hazardous in the winter.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
GeneralManagerTN264, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, January 23, 2012
Thank you so much for your wonderful review! We strive everyday to please our guests as if not for you we wouldn't be here! Looking forward to accommodating you again in your future travels to Johnson City.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Greensboro, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

When in town, we always stay here. It is perfect for a family of 4 (or less)...we get the king suite with whirlpool...the rooms are HUGE! Parents get the king bedroom with 2 closets and hot tub, kids get the separate living room and sleep on the pull out couch...it is cheaper than getting 2 rooms and extremely spacious. Cookies at check-in, breakfast is free and good; seasonal outdoor pool...such a great deal and near lots of restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Bethesda, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

I had a very nasty experience with hotel.com when booking this hotel in rural TN. I was looking for a Suite of rooms (bedroom and, for privacy, a separate sitting room with a pull out bed. (We were going with another couple, friends but not all that friendly). I paid a premium price for a "King" suite, $159 per night. On arriving, we had a single room, one bed and a pull-out couch on the side. The normal price for this room was $119, with peak rate of $124. (Friends at the same hotel at the same dates negotiated a price of $99 for a room with two proper double beds). When I complained to the manager, she immediately said "I cannot talk to you. There are legal reasons." She meant it--being curt to the point of rudeness, refusing when I asked for something simple--a copy of the bill. When I asked for a better room, there wasn't one of the type I thought I was booking. You must contact your booking agency only. When I tried, I got no response at all. This was blatant price gouging.

This sounds like an almost identical experience to that described in a review by MHammondtree. The hotel itself was otherwise ok and the breakfast was good.

Room Tip: Don't use this booking service. Call the hotel directly.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
GeneralManagerTN264, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, October 13, 2011
As I was more than happy to discuss with you while you were here at our property we unfortunately had no other rooms available to switch you from the type that you reserved on the 3rd party web site. We have a contractual agreement with these online travel agencies that prohibits us from disclosing rates that are negotiated with these online booking services. If you are dissatisfied with the room type that you reserved through the 3rd party site you will have to contact them concerning any information having to do with the rate you paid them. We are more than happy that you choose to stay with our property and glad that you enjoyed your experience otherwise and hope to see you back here again very soon.
Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

I have stayed here numerous times and each time have recieved wonderful service. I was greeted by name each time at check in and acknowledged by name at check out. The staff here are friendly and made me feel at home, I would usually check in late at night and the night person Bob always made me feel welcomed. I would recommend this hotel to anyone coming to the area for a restful stay. Keep up the great work everyone and to you too Bob - night auditor.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
GeneralManagerTN264, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, September 7, 2011
Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your stay with us. We strive for excellence every day and it is so great to hear we have accomplished that goal. Looking forward to accommodating you again during your future travels to Johnson City!
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Took my mother out of town to visit family and stayed in a handicap accessible room. Very spacious. Only 1 rail in tub for Mom and beds a little high, but clean and comfortable, pretty pool area, although we didn't use as it was sooo hot. The breakfast was exceptional in variety for a similar priced room.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
I am so glad you and your mother enjoyed your stay with us. I hope in the future you will allow us to accommodate you again. Perhaps on your next visit request the handicap room with the roll in shower as it has more accessible bars to utilize.
GA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

The staff is very unwilling to help fix any problems. They messed our reservation up and then promised they would switch our room. They finally told us they didn't have anything available and wouldn't give us a discount. We had four people in a King sized room (Three adults and one child, which to my understanding exceeds code.) Our toilet stopped up twice. The door wouldn't lock and then we found roaches.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
I am so sorry you felt you were not accommodated while you were visiting. I see you posted this review before you checked out of our hotel. Indeed my staff did offer to let you and your family change rooms and the offer was declined as the declination was noted on your reservation in our system. To address your issue with codes: per Choice Hotels our King Suites Max Room Occupancy 4 persons / 5 persons with extra bed . We do have plungers available for guest use as well as an accommodating staff that would have been happy to plunge your toilet for you durning your stay. We did not find any roaches or other bugs in your room upon your checkout as the room was throughly inspected by a manager. And as you know on 7-22-11 you were given a full refund for the 4 night stay. Again I am sorry you felt unaccommodated durning your stay and sincerely hope you will allow us to accommodate you and your family the next time you visit Johnson City.
Belfry, Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

i was charged a smoking fee,and thats funny i dont even smoke.jus took it right out of my checking account,without any warning.i cant even get my money back till tuesday this is bull

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
GeneralManagerTN264, Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, July 14, 2011
As you know we had already refunded the smoking fee imposed upon you per your previous request. While we are not certain how the smoke odor came to be in that room, we pride our selves on a clean 100% non smoking hotel. We are sorry if we came to the conclusion that the smoke odor was your responsibility since the room had a smoke odor to it after your departure. We strive to offer a wonderful guest experience for all of our guests and look forward to accommodating them again in the future with a clean fresh smoke free environment. I hope that this incident does deter you from giving us another opportunity to accommodate you and your family. Tammy Havens General Manager

Been to Comfort Suites? Share your experiences!