“A Welcomed Suprise” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Johnson City
Peachland, North Carolina
“A Welcomed Suprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I came to Johnson City unintentionally because I-40 was shutdown due to an accident. It was very late. I checked in this hotel @ 2:00 AM. I was greeted by a very pleasant desk attendant. Check in seemed to take a little longer than usual, but was acceptable without reservations and in need of a room. The room was nice enough - King bed with a decent looking flat screen television that I never got to turn on. The shower was small, as was the entire bathroom, but the water pressure was great and the temperature would go much hotter than I could stand. The room seemed fairly clean, but at 2:00 AM, it didnt really matter. The bed didn't sleep good at all to me, with a "hole" that I kept rolling into all night. The pillows were nice and fluffy, but really short for a king sized bed. Check-out was smooth - No major complaints. Getting into the parking lot was a tad confusing if you aren't familiar with the area. You will not find a prettier ride than from Johnson City to Asheville.... Great location!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Fort Mill, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I earned a free night by being a Choice Rewards member, so I booked a weekend trip and chose to stay here for the night. The hotel is a little tricky to fight if you dont know the area. Check in was a bit weird, as nobody was at the desk. The front desk guy comes in from outside and somehow burned himself. Very weird. Friendly guy and he checked me in smoothly. I had a 1st floor room next to the "University Suite". The room was non-smoking but did have a slight smoky smell. The TV is a flat screen but didnt get HD channels. Wifi is free and worked "OK", not slow, not fast. The chair for the computer area didnt go up or down despite having the adjustment to do so. Bathroom had the sink in the room (vanity) and the toilet and shower in its own area with a sliding hidden door. The shower was stand up only. It had a glass door that opened and closed to get in. I thought it was a nice touch, but it leaks water if not shut tightly, and when your done with the shower, the door swings out and carries water with it to the floor. The water pressure was VERY good, and the water was VERY hot. Not usually something you get both of at a hotel! Our room had a microwave and a mini fridge which worked fine. The bed was VERY comfortable and i slept great. pillows were a bit small, but comfy. I never was disturbed by any noise. We didnt eat the free breakfast as it ends at 9am. The lighting in the room was a let down, as the lighting over the bed and the TV/Computer area is quite harsh. Check out was smooth. Theres plenty of places to eat in the area, and plenty of shopping with a Kmart across the street. Id stay here again, but I probably wouldnt pay more then $75 a night.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Powell, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed here for a softball tournament and were very surprised and pleased with the renovations and staff. Rooms were very clean and nicely decorated. The breakfast was average but good, especially for the price. It was very well stocked and a good variety, the staff worked very hard and did an exceptional job meeting our needs as our plans changed over the weekend. We were so happy that we booked to stay here again in two weeks. Close to area shopping and restaurants. Plenty of parking and easy to the interstate.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
KY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Chose this motel firstly because they are Pet Friendly - thank you Sleep Inn! Location is wonderful - off the main drag but close to a huge amount of shopping and numerous restaurants. Did not have a pool (so fewer kids) which made it nice and quiet. Breakfast was fine - don't know why so many places that offer breakfast don't supply bread and a toaster. Our room was basic and could have used some deep down cleaning, not a once-over. I wish it had a tub w/ shower instead of just a shower, but that's just a personal preference. Staff was efficient w/ check-in and check-out. Would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Forest, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I stayed at this property over a year ago and didn't remember it being anything special. I was back in the area and saw on T/A that it had gone through a renovation so I thought I would give it another try. I stay in a lot of Choice hotels so I'm a Diamond Elite Choice Privileges member. One of the best benefits is being able to upgrade to a better room or suite when available at no extra charge. When I reserved my room, I saw that this property had some suites but they were more than my company allows. When I checked in, I asked if there were any Elite upgrades available like I normally do. The gal who checked me in told me that all their rooms were the same. I asked her about the suites I saw when I made my reservation and she just kind of ignored me while she finished the check-in process. When I got into my room, just to make sure I wasn't going crazy I went online there were the suites still available so she just flat-out lied to me. It's good to know they value their most loyal customers.

As for the renovation, as I walked down the hall to my room I could see lots of rooms that had their doors propped open by the internal "security latch," missing ceiling tiles, a ladder & trash at the end of the hallway which told me the renovation was still in progress. When I got to my room, the only difference I could see from the old rooms was the fresh coat of paint on the wall behind the bed and updated pictures & bedspreads. The bathroom had been painted as well but there was a huge water-spot on the wall & ceiling where I'm assuming the toilet above had overflowed. I also went out the back door to get something from my car only to find when I came back in that the lock on this back door was broken which didn't give me a very secure feeling considering I was staying on the 1st floor.

Overall, the hotel is fairly clean and there are several restaurants in walking distance. Unfortunately, the Atlanta Bread Co. restaurant next door went out of business. The breakfast area was clean & stocked but below par with watered-down OJ (like orange colored water) and apples that were mushy and blemished.

If you want a place to just lay your head down for the night, you will probably be ok here. Just don't expect anything else including the truth.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is near lots of restaurants (fast food and sit down), Walmart, Dept. stores, and a walking route.

It has been newly remodeled. Room was clean, had a flat screen tv, micro and fridge. We stayed 4 nights with no problems.

Breakfast was eggs, biscuits, gravy, cereals, fruits, boiled eggs, yogurts, pastries, toast, bagels, waffles, coffee, hot tea, juices and milk. Also had cookies in the evening which were delicious.

The staff from front desk, breakfast attendant to the housekeepers were all friendly and attentive.

We travel a lot and stay in a variety of establishments (7 different ones in Johnson City alone) and this hotel experience was great.

Thank you To the folks at this Sleep Inn!

• Stayed June 2013
Attalla, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

My husband and I and another couple recently stayed at the Sleep Inn in Johnson City, TN for four days while we attended the NHRA Thunder Valley Nationals at Bristol Dragway. This is the second time we have stayed at this particular hotel. There was a large sign on the side saying that the place was recently renovated, but it was hard to tell exactly where except that they obviously traded in the nice pillow top beds for one that was more like a futon--thin mattress and no box spring. The pillows were also small and not very comfortable. The room was clean, but I noticed there were a few areas that could have been touched up with paint and new caulking. The carpet in the hallways needed some deep cleaning also. The staff was very friendly and helpful in general. A nice breakfast was served between 6-9 am (eggs, sausage, biscuits, waffles, etc). However, one staff member liked to hold patrons to that 9am mark, and literally snatched items back into the kitchen as late stragglers came down while reminding them when breakfast was "officially over." I thought this was rude and not very customer friendly. Maybe extending the breakfast hour would be better on weekends, especially during special events. Outside, I noticed that during the four days of our stay that there was trash in the parking lots and overflowing garbage cans and ash trays that never got emptied. Just taking care of some of these small things would make this a great place to stay. It is only minutes from the track and there is plenty of restaurants and stores just blocks away and it is reasonably priced. I will probably consider returning there, with the hopes that some of these things will be addressed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Sleep Inn & Suites - Johnson City? Share your experiences!