“Glorified Camping.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hales Bar & Marina Resort

Hales Bar & Marina Resort
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jasper
Hales Bar & Marina Resort
1265 Old Hales Bar Rd., Jasper, TN 37340   |
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
“Glorified Camping.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

First let me say that apparently there is a new owner, so alot of the problems are being taken care of, like the cabins. They are being converted to different septic systems and upgraded. The new improved cabins are great. Second, to me, this is a step up from camping. You have a bed, a roof over your head and in door bathroom, but it's not a hotel by any means. I liked that actually. We didn't have any problems with the neighbors, infact we had a great time talking to them and the staff. The store is under new owners as well as is greatly improved from what I hear. We went to Walmart and picked up groceries, but got some stuff from the store. I did get advised by another couple who comes alot apparently that if you want a quiet time that's family friendly, avoid the summer, it gets kinda wild. But the fishes was GREAT, I mean shooting fish in a barrel is harder than this. And I got great pictures of the old power house for the dam and the surrounding area like Raccoon Mountain and Lookout Mountain. It was very secluded, quiet, friendly and fun.

Room Tip: If you get motion sickness stick to land cabins or ask for one close to shore.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

29 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

My wife & I stayed at Hales 2 nights in a floating cabin in late October 2012 for a boating event. I was leery given the other negative posts but gave it a shot. The cabin was clean but the electric fireplace didn't work. The cabin also had a odor when we first went in. Being the sporting type I got some room deodorizer and it seemed ok. Boy however in the wee hours of the morning "that smell" woke me up. it was rank - smelled like a sewer and seemed to be coming thru the floor. It took a lot of deodorizer to get back to sleep. Also got jerked around in the bed & cabin as the waves banged the cabin against the mooring all night long. The next day I went to management to get the smell fixed and asked they properly moor the unit. It only was tied at 2 points and the fender cushion was flattened. Sure enough, the "sh_tter was full". Each unit has a holding tank and a guy came by and pumped it out. With a half gallon of some blue stuff flushed down the toilet the smell went away. I asked the guy to tie up the unit better - no help. Well the cold wind kicked up hard that afternoon and I again phoned management and left a message to get me a rope. When we came back to the cabin after sundown one rope had already broken and our unit was halfway out in the slip bouncing around - couldn't even get to it. I desperately called management for help - only got the answer machine. I then got a rope from our boater friends, lassoed the cabin, pulled it back into the slip and tied it to another mooring point. Given the wind the unit still banged up against the dock so to maybe minimize that I used a cushion from the couch as a fender. Didn't help much - still got banged around all night. Couldn't sleep fearing the ropes would break and we'd end up either playing bumper cars with the other boats in the marina or find us down by Nickajack dam hailing the lockmaster. The next day I requested a refund of one nights stay given the hassle, loss of sleep and their lack of action even after 3 requests. It went on deaf ears. Management here doesn't seem to be too responsive or caring. The weekend would have been a complete washout if it hadn't been for the good food and booze of our boater friends. So be advised. if you want to stay here you're on your own: inspect the unit first to see if the sh_tter is full and bring a couple of heavy ropes and a fender cushion and maybe you too can enjoy the adventure of the floating cabin.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

Nice views just need better staff and housekeepers and upgrades and need to be someone in duty 24 hours also and clean floating cabins better spent oneday cleaning and when the store opens needs to be stocked no discount was offered even showed the girl the hair in bed and hair and crud in shower gave her the piece off sink that fell on foot she gave my husband a hammer and screwdriver to fix pot .left message twice since then no return call love to stay again but in a clean cabin love the quiet and peaceful time but didnt like having to clean..So if you get this owner number is 423 227 4162 bet still want get a call. Nice quiet getaway just bring on bedding and cleaning products

• Stayed April 2012
atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

Was worried after reading the reviews but really enjoyed. Fished off our front and back porch. Staff was friendly and nice. Rustic floating cabin unique. Yes, neighbors were drinking a but nice and took it inside by midnight. It kept me from stressing about being too loud. Rustic cabin style with awesome a/c and cable tv. You can request cabins side by side. I will definitely go back.

• Stayed July 2012
Fountain Inn, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

We reserved cabins on the water and wound up getting stuck in land cabins. The cabin wasn't finished. We made our own beds, the kitchen wasn't clean (coffee pot was unusable). The parties and hooping and hollering went on until after Midnight (quiet time was supposedly 11pm), There is NO.. let me repeat NO management ON SITE after the ship store closes. They have a security guard that is supposed to ride through once in a while. This is NOT a family atmosphere!!! If you're into drinking and loud parties.. you'll be right at home!!

USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

The only reason I am rating it a 1 is that there is nothing lower. It started out when we arrived, and found out that the floating cabins we had rented were given to other guests without informing us. We had a group, and had to split up, 1 cabin up top, the other by the water. The one by the water supposedly had a pull out sofa, which ended up being only a standard loveseat, I had to sleep on the floor, another person somehow fitted onto the loveseat. That night, all you heard was drunken people racing their boats and screaming as loud as they could. One of our group was assaulted on the grounds by a drunken guest, it took almost 10 minutes for security to arrive!

Room Tip: Do Not Stay Here!
Lexington, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

We were told that the cabins on the water that we had reserved were not available. That instead of by reservation the cabins were given out first come first serve. So we ended up with land cabins. When we got to the cabins, they had not finished cleaning them(there was mold in the coffee pot) and we ended up making beds ourselves. Also, the security at this place was horrible. We had actually rented the dam itself for the night and had several drunk people walk up, one of which assaulted a woman in our party. By the time security got there, the guy was gone. Also, quiet time restrictions are obviously not enforced as there was a loud party going on well into the night and throughout the night you could here music start up and people being loud. Not only that, but the dam is a serious death trap. There are doors that are not locked that open over nothing unless you count the river or ground 60-80 feet below, there are places in the floor that are marked with cones or covered with plywood that also have long drops, the rails are about to fall off the walkways(don't try to hold on to them), there is an immense amount of bird droppings, bat feces, dead rats/birds/bats, etc in the building, and there is no way to shut the building to keep others out. The tour during the day was dangerous however, the tour was really just follow this guy around and try to figure out what you are looking at. The view might be gorgeous, but I can get a better view elsewhere without worrying that I will fall through a floor or be assaulted. After planning this trip for months, it was a serious disappointment. Also due to the problems we had, management said they would reimburse part of the cost and offered a free night, however days later they are not returning phone calls.

Room Tip: If you want to stay here, bring an RV or find another place.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hales Bar & Marina Resort? Share your experiences!