“Should have bypassed Jackson” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #3 of 27 Hotels in Jackson
Redondo Beach, California
“Should have bypassed Jackson”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for one night at a road trip. Since I was going to be checking in late I called to make sure that a crib would be ready for my son upon arrival. What did the person tell me on the phone? "Oh, just ask the FD to send one up when you arrive." How unprofessional, that's exactly the reason why I called, so I wouldn't have to ask the FD. At arrival the person I spoke with came out when I asked the FD for a crib and started calling people looking for one, while I stood there waiting...don't waste your guest's time. Eventually she told me that they didn't have any cribs but would call the Courtyard to have one brought over. I continued to stand around for this and when the young lady hung up the phone, she said, "He'll bring it and you can wait and take it up" WHAT? I told the FD that I wanted it delivered and went to my room. Eventually it was delivered but with no linens so I had to go back down to find out there were no special linens and was given a flat sheet....what a bad experience. The hotel in and of itself is very nice, looks to be relatively new and is located right off the interstate. The room was very nice and modern, one of the nicest RI rooms I've seen but it was dirty...no dish soap, clumps of black hair all over the bathroom floor, paper towels in kitchen had been wet and had brown stains on entire roll, headboard was VERY dusty. The heater also started making a loud vibrating noise in the middle of the night, had to get up and turn it off. In my opinions the only thing this hotel has going for it is the newness of the hotel but due to all the issues I experienced I would never stay here again nor would I recommend it

• Stayed January 2012
McKinnon_R, Manager at Residence Inn Jackson, responded to this review, January 10, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide me with this feedback from your stay. I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences and delays in service that you experienced during your stay. I have addressed the importance of having gust requests completed prior to the guest’s arrival with the front desk. The night that you stayed with us we had a number of guests traveling with small children requiring the use of a crib, which is why the front desk representative had trouble locating a crib for you, and called our sister property to borrow one of theirs. I have also communicated the issues that you experienced in your room to the appropriate departments so that others do not experience these problems. I apologize and thank you again for your feedback. If there is anything else that I can do to assist you, please contact me at rmckinnon@vistahost.net Robert McKinnon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Alexandria, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

First impressions are key and the woman at the front desk couldn't have been more pleasant and professional which was well received by me after a long day of driving. This hotel was recently completed and they made many smart choices. The lobby area has a cool gas fireplace and plenty of space to lounge or work with your laptop (there is free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel). For warmer days, they have upholstered patio furniture and grills. There is a definite aloft influence.

The rooms are large, well appointed and include a large kitchen for a hotel.

Don't miss the nightly manager's reception. The night I arrived, they offered pork bbq, wine and beer. The hot breakfast in the morning is very nice too. Factor in the cost of these two and this is a very good value especially if you there are 2-3 of you per room.

The only knock, a very slight knock, I'd give them is the bathroom has a shower tub. The bathroom is very nice and large and maybe I shouldn't call it a 'knock'. It just have a personal preference for walk-in showers.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
cstanfillGSM, Manager at Residence Inn Jackson, responded to this review, January 16, 2012
I agree 100%, you never get a second chance to make a first impression. Tela is a gem.
A lot of thought was put into the new design of Residence Inn, I'm glad it's been well perceived. Thank you for choosing Residence Inn Jackson for your lodging needs, we always appreciate feedback from our guests. We hope to see you back very soon! Happy New Year from the Jackson staff!!!
Vacaville, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

My partner and I stayed overnight at the Residence Inn for New Year's Eve and had a great stay. The hotel is beautiful, still looks brand new and is well kept up. Our check in went smoothly and our room was clean and good sized. We were on the first floor on the interstate side but didn't have the issues with noise that some others seemed to have had. Breakfast was good- eggs, biscuits and gravy, waffles, etc. The fitness room was nice with new equipment (albeit a limited amount). My only issue was the pet fee- it was $75 for the night for our dog, which was almost as much as the room itself! I have never been charged more than $20 and took some issue with this because we hadn't been warned upon our reservation that we would be charged so much.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
cstanfillGSM, Manager at Residence Inn Jackson, responded to this review, January 4, 2012
Happy New Year! We're so glad you chose to bring in the new year with us! Regarding our pet fee, it is to ensure the quality of suites and by no means to inconvenience you in any way. Keep in mind when making reservations through a third party site they aren't familiar with specific properties so just give us a call directly and we would be more than happy to inform you of any additional fees pertaining to your particular reservation. Hope to see you soon!
The Villages, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

I gave this hotel another try on a recent trip. I even suggested that my sister & her husband also get a room here and they did. My first visit was a few months ago and they had just opened, so things were not up to Marriott's typical standards, in my opinion.

This 2nd visit still left much to be desired. I found bits of trash and leaves on the uncarpeted areas. Not too bad. But my sister reported that their room was definitely not up to par, but I didn't know it until after we had all checked out. She found hair in the tub and also hair in the bed! Yuck! Had I known that I would have definitely reported this to the manager. Apparently, she did call to report the hair problems and was offered to move to another room, but they were exhausted to move and needed to sleep.

My sister's room was also on the side of the nearby interstate highway, and they heard loud trucks all night long. My room was on the parking lot side, at my request, and I didn't hear the traffic noise but I heard talking from floors below or from the indoor pool area. I was trying to get to sleep and this was after 11 pm. I did not report it due to my exhaustion and it soon resolved itself. The view out the window, though, was of the roof and walls of the indoor pool area. Poor, poor design.

This was a trip to visit relatives in the area. We had planned to stay over 2 nights but decided to make it one night only in Jackson. I will be looking for other lodging on my next Jackson visit. Twice burned is enough...especially at these higher rates. Now Marriott folks need to take notice because I do tend to prefer the Marriott brand, but this particular Residence Inn is not for me!

Room Tip: If you must stay here, ask for the parking lot side, away from the indoor pool annex. The noise fro...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
McKinnon_R, Manager at Residence Inn Jackson, responded to this review, December 16, 2011
Thank you for taking the time from your day to give us this feedback and it is very disappointing for me to hear that our facilities were not up to par for you on your two visits. As you pointed out, on your first stay we were still very new (only two weeks old) and were working out the kinks. Although we are six months old now, we are still feeling some of the growing pains of being a new hotel. I apologize for the condition and cleanliness of your rooms as this is not the typical experience that our guests tell me about.
The noise issue has been a recognized issue in our rooms on the highway side, and we are currently investigating multiple options to reduce the highway noise as much as possible. We are actually testing one of these options in the upcoming week, and will continue to try different things until we find the best fix for our guests.
While I understand your hesitation, I would like to invite you back for a complimentary stay so that we may show you that your experiences have not been typical ones. I would like the opportunity to personal make your reservation when you travel back to Jackson. If you would consider this please contact me at rmckinnon@vistahost.net or 731-935-4100 and request to speak with Robert McKinnon.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

This 4-story property is new, about four months old, and is located about 150’ from the westbound exit ramp of one of the busiest truck corridors in the country, Interstate 40, at Exit 83. There are three new hotels at this exit, a gas station, and no restaurants.

The check-in experience in the lovely, upscale lobby area was efficient, and personalized. The manger's reception that night featured a nice selection of bar-b-que items.

The spacious one bedroom suite was beautiful, and decorated with rich modern colors, decor and wall art. The kitchen was large, and featured granite quality counter tops, and polished aluminum appliances. The bathroom counter area was bright, and the bedroom featured an iPhone compatible clock radio. There were a couple minor maintenance issues, a flashing light in the kitchen and a loose toilet, and we found the air conditioning was also difficult to adjust. Otherwise, the room was fine, and clean.

Our one bedroom suite was located at the end of the building, and thus had windows in the living room and bedroom. The sound of trucks easily came through the windows, and through the vents in the bathroom, before we went to bed, and afterwards. Therefore, sleep quality was terrible. And a good night of sleep is the prime service that a hotel should provide.

We’ve stayed in dozens of hotels along interstates for years, and we know that traffic noise is sometimes an issue in hotels that do not include adequate sound abatement in their designs. But this was unacceptable. As we checked out, the clerk asked if we enjoyed our stay. I said we did not, could not sleep, and would never return. He said he wished he could move the hotel, but of course that is not reality.

Another suggestion for future Residence Inn designs: while the hotel has a modern, “loft” like appearance, it has no covered portico for loading/unloading. In Tennessee, it does rain. And sometimes it snows. While the outside design is sleek and looks good, it is not functional.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
cstanfillGSM, Manager at Residence Inn Jackson, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
Thank you so much for bringing these issues to our attention! I do apologize for the noise from the nearby interstate. When constructing the building we did choose to use an upgraded double paned glass in an attempt to keep the traffic noise to a minimum. I hate that our attempt was not to your satisfaction. The other maintenance issues have been reported to our cheif engineer so that we may ensure this does not happen in the future. Please accept my sincerity when traveling back through our area I would love to have another chance to reach the mark of excellence!
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

This is a new property but there are several missed opportunities. The good parts have been well documented and I agree with most, however:
A) Housekeping must improve. The bathroom floor is dirty and the grout is dark; not the original "cream" color. This is a result of not scrubbing and mopping the bathroom and kitchen floors.
B) It's 4:00 AM and I can hear normal walking from the room above mine. Trying to save money buy using approved but not the best materials will hamper your success. I can also hear water running through the pipes.
C) Bath tub- It's low quality and small. The grout was applied improperly and looks bad.
D) Bed linnen is cheap and does not completely encase the comforter. I do not want the pervious guest's saliva in my face
E) Towels are cheap and thin. Although better than my motel 6 days they do remind me of my motel 6 days.
F) Carpet- If they floors are this dirty I'm wondering about the carpet?
G) Water pressure is not the best.

In summation, it is a new hotel but it will not remain inviting unless more focus is placed on housekeeping because you cannot correct the construction issues. Service and professionalism were great!

On your next project include a few more dollars in the budget.

Room Tip: It's all about the smell when you first enter the room. Look at the floor grout. It's not su...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
cstanfillGSM, Manager at Residence Inn Jackson, responded to this review, October 12, 2011
Greetings, I do appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay.. Thank you for bringing these issues to light, they have been documented and delivered to the appropriate department heads, resolution is underway. Check us out the next time you are in the area for an excellent experience at the Residence Inn Jackson.
Indiana, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

My uncle died and we called to make reservations for mutiple rooms. The agent was great at researching the best rates for our rooms. No bereavements rate was available but we did have a senior citizen so we coordinated the rooms under that relative. The staff is very nice. The rooms are clean kitchens are nice and once in the room you can't hear anything other side of the walls. The only thing we noticed was that while walking in the hallway you could hear conversations in the room but you could hear nothing once in the room. We really loved the decor in the room that included vases out of reach of children - if you have them. Breakfast was great. We set in one of the breakfast nooks with a individual flat screen - only problem table should be a little bigger but we made it work. We used the pool, hot tub, basketball court, and work out room - all of which very nice. The pool was a reasonable size in comparison to the minipools they are putting in most new hotels these days. Overall, I will definately return again, if we can find a reasonable rate. the

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
cstanfillGSM, Manager at Residence Inn Jackson, responded to this review, October 1, 2011
Greetings from Jackson, TN. It was a pleasure to serve you during your recent stay with us. You have our deepest condolences for the loss of your loved one. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. I hope to have you back in the future under more pleasant circumstances. Thank you again for choosing Residence Inn to meet your travel needs.

Been to Residence Inn Jackson? Share your experiences!