“"Rode-Hard-and-Put-Up-Wet-Way" Inn...” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Jackson Hotel & Convention Center

You added Jackson Hotel & Convention Center to your Saves list
Jackson Hotel & Convention Center
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1963 US 45 Bypass, Jackson, TN 38305 (Formerly Rodeway Inn & Suites)   |
Ranked #26 of 27 Hotels in Jackson
Lexington, Kentucky
“"Rode-Hard-and-Put-Up-Wet-Way" Inn...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

How I wish I'd read these reviews prior to using my discount coupon and staying at this place! The coupon reduced the price to less than $40.00. The location was convenient. The front desk evening clerk and the young man who was pushing a wet mop as well as handling check-outs the next morning were both friendly and pleasant.

That's about all the positives that can be cited for this place. As others have noted, it was a mess!

I was directed to the side door - as I entered the building, I noticed the gravel edging the sidewalk was absolutely filled with cigarette butts, despite the presence of a free-standing "ashtray". The elevator was next to the entrance, but while I was waiting for it to arrive, I noticed loose wiring hanging from the ceiling of the adjoining corridor. Once aboard the elevator, I saw that the floor was quite dirty and didn't appear to have been cleaned for some time.

My second floor non-smoking room reeked of cigarette smoke - when I left the room, I saw that the room on one side was also non-smoking, but those two appeared to be the only non-smoking rooms along the corridor. I was glad to have a small balcony with a sliding glass door - it helped air out the room (fortunately, it was a warmish day), but I knew I'd have to do more to make it anywhere near tolerable.

When I started to transfer the contents of my small cooler, I found that the front of the small refrigerator door was extremely dusty and dirty. So I dampened a paper towel I had along, and gave it a swipe - which only made the dust atop the fridge stand out more by contrast, so it also got attention from me. But when I started to store my snacks, I found that the refrigerator's door handle was broken and swinging freely from its one remaining bolt.

After going out for dinner and finding a nearby Dollar Store which had room freshener, I entered the Inn by what was now a very dark side doorway - where was the security light?? - did what I could about the stinky room, and eventually started to prepare for bed, but wanted to watch television for a while first. The TV worked, but once on the bed, I found cigarette holes burned into the white lining of the dark quilted bedspread. More cigarette burns were on the edge of the bedside table. This was a non-smoking room??? Right...

So finally preparing for sleep, I looked around for a clock radio I could set to make sure I would awake on time for an early start on down the road. Aha, there it was, atop the refrigerator - but it didn't seem to have a clock. A closer investigation proved that it was plugged in, after all, but the clock function was impossible to set - the time would only read 12:00, and then would swiftly blink out, leaving a completely dark screen. I couldn't get the radio to function at all.

So after a fair night's sleep, I woke up naturally - too late to try the free breakfast, which was only offered until 9:00 a.m. - and got ready to take a bath. But I couldn't - there was no plug in the tub, so I settled for a shower.

I told the young man pushing the dust mop of the various issues I encountered - he apologized, but didn't offer to get a manager or to reduce my bill or to do anything else to make up for the lapses. Instead, he made excuses for several things, including the great number of cigarette butts just outside the side entrance - claiming the staff would clean them up, only for them to reappear. Really, how long does it take for at least 50-75 butts to accumulate?? That didn't happen overnight...

Sometimes an apparent bargain just isn't worth the money saved. This "Dis-comfort Inn" experience certainly proved just that. Never again...

Room Tip: Choose a good room in another motel, not this one!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Tom Bean, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

outside nice room not so. pillows and sheets were stained, mold around the toilet, tv did not work turned on and after 5 minutes screen turned red on all stations carpet in the room felt damp floor in the bathroom was sticky and the toilet bowl was dirty. next morning looked out my window, I was on the second floor and flat roof outside of window was filled with cigarette butts and an old lighter however the view was pretty nice. the furniture was missing some trim and one of the drawers in the chest was too small for the hole. not a place to revisit any time soon

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Guntersville, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Do Not Stay Here! This property is horrible...out dated ..stinks...old carpet old furniture...smells horriible...never again...find another place to sleep or sleep in the car...you will not be happy with this property really run down....

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Jackson, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Econolodge/Rodeway Inn 1963 US Hwy 45 Bypass/Jackson, TN
TruckStop Loudness = NO ZZZZzzzzs
If u valu peace and QUIET - U WON'T find it here - They cater to Trucker's Loud, Running all thru the night, diesels park NEXT TO the rooms others have paid to stay expecting to be able to sleep. Classy, huh? Classy like a truck stop cacophony of rumbling Reefers and don't forget the ambiance of diesel fuel. If that doesn't sell you, you will be startled awake by staff & others SLAMMING the doors to the rooms.albeit you do have to take more trouble to NOT slam the doors bc they are so heavy and automatically slam/shut. Was told upon check-in (b4 experience the smell and in-room sounds of the diesel trucks) that the room has recently been RENOVATED. This is their idea of idea of renovation: a leg of the desk was broken & holding the table up @ a 45degree angle; the sofa has seen its better days along w/very, very visible 'stuff' adhered to the fabric - yuck!; the arms of the chair had been 'gnawed' off and the adjustment was broken as well, and seat was also stained - yuck!; the carpet was/is buckled & not clean; the electrical outlets were iffy, some worked, some didn't & some u had to hold ur breath just right while u jiggled the plugs; they think a 'snowy image' TV reception is normal and completely acceptable'-per maintenance; I called maintenance bc room would not cool down, he said I needed to take it down to the lowest it will go (60degrees) and the fan at it's fastest setting and then wait for several hours b4 it cools the room UNLESS you're sitting @ the desk, where you get the full brunt of the high fan speed @ 60degrees. So u freeze when sitting/working @ the desk while the rest of the room is hot & stuffy. Maintenance said it was their best type unit (I didn't realize I was getting their 'best'). They do have coffee-makers & alarm clocks, but no place to plug them in to be able to use, bring your own time & alarm if you want to know what time it is. They do have the time on TV, but was not correct on 3/3 TVs & no way to access the menu to correct it. Renovated Commode is Not Secure as it rattles & had/has black mold growing on the inside - yet another YUCK! Freezer was unusable on the microfridge bc buildup of ice until I Defrosted it so that I could use it.
Nothing Matches - Looks like everything was bought from a 2nd-hand store - all kind of Hodge Podge. Peep Holes are clouded to the point of almost useless. The sliding glass doors were almost like a wall (on 4 rooms I saw) they were so dirty!
Employees were nice & affable all the while LYING TO YOUR FACE (in other words: DECEPTIVE!!!) - From beginning: 1. ur room has been renovated; 2. cable is not clear but the cable guy is looking @ it (surely thinking the guests will not be there long enough to discover nothing is being done); 3. Having the trucks move further back so no to be disturbing other's sleep; 4. Naming/Calling room w/view of tarred roof w/AC units: courtside HA HA HA - what a joke on the unsuspecting paying customers -what could a view of a tarred roof be thought of as courtside to a normal thinking person; 5. calling snowy reception perfect and act like u don't know what ur talking bTheir name!!!! The sign states: Econolodge, as does the receipt upon payment and their room notepads and pens, but was told by the desk clerks it's Rodeway Inn; and the irons and ironing boards are ID'd as Microtel - that seems kind of deceptive to me, especially when they get reviews like this bc the service they provided.
Best thing: they honor the 'Do Not Disturb' sign. As I am typing this I see the irony of this 'honoring of the 'Do Not Disturb' sign' bc u are already being disturbed by the roaring of the trucker's reefers all thru the night along w/slamming of the neighbor's room doors & the smell of eau d' TruckStop. MMMMmmm I know I'm making u jealous that u are not here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I stayed on the 3rd floor with view of parking area.Pleanty of RV and semi truck parking..Nice manager on night shift named lonneya or something..Location is good with lots of other hotels.The rate was $45.00 for the night.Everything worked in the room,microwave,refrigerator,hair dryer.I didn't stay for breakfast had to leave early.
I-40 exit 80a on southside of freeway.

Room Tip: Cheap place to stay for 1 night...$45.00 Semi and RV parking is good..Other hotels close by and lot...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for two nights the first week of June, this year. The front desk clerk Donna was really nice. She got us our room and on our way in 5 minutes. We got to our room and it was a disaster! Nothing worked! We called the front desk and they sent a maintenance man. He was there really quick! We just wanted everything fixed but after arguing with him forever, he insisted on moving us. He apologized left and right. He helped us move and went and got us new keys. The new room was fine, "for the money. " I say that because we paid 45 or 50 dollars a night. So what we received was more then our we paid for. The next morning the young man from the night before brought us coffee and donuts and told us about the breakfast down stairs. When we got downstairs at 8 am the nice lady from the night before was at the desk again. She said good morning as did we. We ate went upstairs and our room had been cleaned and new towels hung. Later we realized how comfortable we felt. How they went out of there way to fix the issues. They could of covered it up in 2 minutes and walked away. Donna at the desk made us feel like she watched over us all night. Watching the front door to keep trouble out. She made us feel like family!

Special Thanks To Anthony And Donna!

• Stayed June 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

We were driving and it was midnight and apparently everywhere in Jackson was full and we took a chance. It was terrible. Everything about it was terrible. Our bathroom did not have electrical power. Just keep driving.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Jackson Hotel & Convention Center? Share your experiences!