“Great Customer Service!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Hermitage
Lyman, South Carolina
“Great Customer Service!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

We stayed here the last weekend in May and were very pleased with the stay. We found out when we got there that it was the weekend before the CMT music festival was going on and were completely satisfied. When we first got to the room we determined the air conditioner was not working properly and was not getting the room cool at all. We stopped back at the front desk and requested a new room and was told this was the only room available per our first room request with a queen bed. The manager sent maintenance by the room (who actually beat us back to the room) to test the unit and determined it was not working properly. After about a 15 minute wait hehad a new unit installed into the room and we never had any more issues. Great job!!! Great customer service and a nice hotel for the money. We requested a first floor non smoking unit after someone on here recommended it and were completely satisfied and taken care of.

Room Tip: We requested a non smoking room on the first floor because someone on here suggested it to get one o...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Kissimmee, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

This hotel is located just off I 40 (exit 221B) near the intersection of Central Pike and Old Hickory. We look for 3 things when we stay at a hotel. It has to be safe and clean. Things have to work. A helpful and friendly staff. Sometimes people say 2 out of 3 ain't bad. Not in this case. We arrived around 6PM to check into our room which had booked on the Choice Hotels website well over a month before. The long and the short of it was that they didn't have the room. No I'm sorry or any apology. Just take another room or stay somewhere else. We took a different room. The room was clean and everything seemed to work. It had a mini fridge, microwave and 2 burner cook top. It also had assorted plates cups and cookware. The placement of the outlets was a bit strange but there were several of them. The hotels and the rooms are a bit worn. One thing that caught my eye was the huge red stain on the carpet by the third floor elevator. It always brought a crime scene to my mind. The hotel has a lot of contractors staying there and as you walked to your room, you could hear some partying going on. We never heard anything while inside our room. There is also quite a few permanent residents at the hotel. The internet was passable when it worked. I had it go out one morning and stay down until the next morning. It was the access points that needed to be reset. The front desk girl was very rude and told me they had nothing to do with it, even after I explained that their own IT support had told me that the hotel had to physically reset at the property. If she would have passed it on, it probably would have only been down an hour. I also wouldn't have spent the day at Starbucks doing my work. Two days later when the same thing happened, I went to the front desk in person, and got the same reply from her. After calling Choice hotels about it. The internet actually came up in a couple of hours. There is onsite laundry facility and several fast food and sit down restaurants very close by. The nearest grocery store is 15 minutes away in traffic. This hotel is in a bit of a rough area, but we never felt unsafe while staying there. We were always in our room before dark. We did see a lot of panhandlers and the same drunk girl screaming in the parking lot for 30 minutes at 1 AM 2 nights in a row. My final run in with the rude front desk girl was on the day of my departure. I put the first load of luggage in my car and found that I was locked out of the building. Upon visiting the front desk I was told that everyone's keys deactivate the morning of departure. When I suggested that maybe they should not deactivate until check out time. I was told once again "that's just the way it is". Would I stay at this hotel again? Not until the front desk staff get retrained that customer service is about the customer. The attitude I got turned a possible 4 star review into a 2. I actually wrote the property and got a reply from the manager. The manager Darren failed to address any of my customer service issues and told me sometimes the internet works and sometimes it doesn't. That has nothing to do with us. Really? Your hotel has the contract with the provider.

Bottom Line:
Older Property
OK Price
Terrible Customer Service
Internet Works Okay If It Works.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Jackson
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

Only stayed one night in order to get an early start on a bus trip. For $45.00 a night including taxes this place is pretty good. Very comfortable. Clean neat rooms with small fridge and microwave and 2 burner cooktop. Only thing it didn't have was a hair dryer. Will come here again because they are very friendly and nice and worth the money.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Diest, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

stayed there one night during the weekend, good and safe location close to highway; shops and restaurants, rooms are clean, people are friendly.
a clean room, a flatscreen tv, wireless internet for free and a good bed for less than 55 $, what can one ask more
Would go there again

Room Tip: don't forget to ask for non smoking room if you do not smoke
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
frankfort,ky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Due to a new, temp job in Nashville, TN, I needed an inexpensive place to stay for the long term, but found the hotel prices in the city to be too high. I discovered this Suburban extended-stay hotel just 15 miles southeast of the city in Hermitage, TN, via a hotel web search. The reviews were a little lack luster, but after having been in many hotels over the past few years (I've lived and/or worked in 8 States in the past 30 years), I believed it would be acceptable. I was pleasantly surprised.

I arrived at about 6pm in December. It was almost totally dark, but the outside of the hotel was well lit. The hotel looked very nice from the outside. Within minutes, I had my room key from the friendly receptionist, and drove about half-way around the hotel to get to my room's closest entrance. There were a few beer bottle caps on the ground near where I would park for the week (the job didn't pan out), but that was about all the litter there was (I've been in far superior, pricier hotels, where trash was strewn all over the place!).

The room is very small; barely the size of a typical 2-person college dorm room! And the layout was such that there is hardly any room for one person to walk around, much less two! There was a queen-sized bed, small wooden table, two matching wooden chairs, a kitchenette having a four electric burner stove, no oven, small fridge (just fit a medium-size pizza box and two 2-liter sodas), sink, and overhanging microwave oven. The utensils were in a plastic dish holder, clean, and totally encased in plastic wrap. Unfortunately, the medium-sized saute pan's teflon coating was completely worn away, and, as such, was dangerous due to exposed metal shards and epoxy; the small sauce pot's teflon was intact, but there were a couple of gouges at the bottom, so that was also dangerous. I had no need to cook, as there are plenty of fast-food and low-end eating establishments within walking distance, but I was curious to see how the hotel would handle a complaint, so, the following morning I reported it to the hotel manager (Daryl?), in person. He was visibly chagrined, and said that it was the maid's job to check for such. He offered to replace them the next day, so I said "fine", but they were never replaced. There is a TV with about 100 channels, though some had no sound, and one had the SAP narration on; the remote has no way to change the settings, but I thought it peculiar that only a few stations were so affected. An immediate query to the front desk, again, in person, to a third receptionist, resulted in her calling their service rep, who suggested unplugging the TV and cable box for about a minute; it didn't help, but I appreciated the immediate response. The bathroom was very clean, and I was surprised that it had a European-style shower (i.e., no bath, and the edge of the shower was very low, presumably for the sake of senior citizens, of which I'm not!); I thought that after showering, I would find water all over the floor, since the flimsy-looking shower curtain didn't look as if it would protect anything, but nary a drop was found! There were two sets of bath towels, washcloths, and hand towels, which, since the rooms are cleaned only weekly, means that you'd have to exchange them at the desk, which I did, with no problem, except that the receptionist has to leave the security of the front desk, walk out to the hallway and then to the supply room across the hall to get the towels! What if the hotel was busy? The hotel's internet works great, except that there were two interruptions of service while I was there, both requiring the flustered, non-tech, front desk person to call their internet service, who was able to talk her into restoring it (the receptionist said that many people had phoned-in the problem, so it wasn't just me!). The room was clean, but not well lit, so, at night, the room is a little depressing. The mattress was extra firm; the box spring squeaked a little and showed signs of wear and tear. Again, sheets would only be changed weekly, but you can bring them to the desk for an exchange at any time (n.b., the hotel front desk is open only from 7am-11pm).

Unfortunately, the walls do not block outside or inside noises: someone walking above me sounded like elephants on parade; anyone walking by the room sounded like army troops; a diesel tow truck running a few yards away on the side facing a storage facility would start running at 5:30am every day, and the driver would rudely honk the horn as he drove off at about 6:00am; adjacent rooms using their sink or shower sounded as if it was in my room; early Friday morning, I was awakened at about 7am by two Spanish-speaking maids who "spoke" to each other from way across the long hallway. So, I didn't get a heck of a lot of sleep on any given night, but I felt safe, and woke up in the morning none the less for not having a full night's sleep.

The sole ice machine is in the basement laundry room for which you need your room key to gain access. The laundry room has seemingly new machines (8 each of wash and dry), which cost $2 for wash, and 25 cents for a given number of minutes (there is no sign indicating how that is, but, my home laundromats don't indicate that either! Why the mystery?). I didn't use them, but one guest had laundry in a dryer, so, out of curiosity, I put my hand on the glass front, and found that, despite it being set to "high" and being on for at least 2 minutes, it barely felt tepid; as someone who uses laundromats, exclusively, that is not a good sign.

In all, had I stayed for longer than that week, I would have come down with a severe case of claustrophobia, but the caring and friendly hotel staff made me feel welcome and important, whereas superior hotel staff often makes me feel like a tolerated uncle! I paid only $31/night + tax, and felt that was the right price. There are long-term residents, and guests brought their well-behaved pets and/or not-so-well-behaved children in. For those on a budget who need a place to stay for a night or even a week, the Suburban/Heritage, is an excellent alternative to pricier hotels.

Room Tip: Traffic can be very high during crush hour, so ask for a room on the far side, near the entrance fac...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
columbus
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I used to think this place was great until I met 3 people last night (around 12:00am) that were trying to get into their room, but couldn't because their card wouldn't work.

As soon as they checked in, the office closed. They went out to grab their things, came inside the door, and then tried to use their card on the door, and it didn't work! I tried helping them out and I called the company to see what they can do, and the woman on the other end basically told me that those 3 people were screwed.

These people sat there in the hallway, instead of the room THAT THEY PAID FOR.

Suburban Extended just lost not only 3 customers, but they lost me as a customer too.

Room Tip: GO somewhere else.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Chattanooga, TN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

My husband is stuck here for a month on a construction job, his roommate went home for the weekend so I went up and visited. This isn't the worst place I've stayed by far, the bathroom is clean and undamaged which is one of my pet peeves. However, they only clean the extended-stay rooms once a week which gives the whole place an "unfresh" smell, but it didn't really look dirty per se. The room we were in was originally a single, but they removed the couch and table and stuck in an extra bed so it was quite cramped. The staff was disinterested at best.

If you must have a kitchenette and price is an issue, it's doable.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Suburban Lodge Hermitage? Share your experiences!