“Not the "Quality" We Were Expecting"” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Harriman
Crossville, Illinois, United States
“Not the "Quality" We Were Expecting"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

Chose this property because we are Choice Privileges members and always have good luck with the brand. We were less than impressed with this Quality Inn.

We made reservations over the phone. We are traveling with our two pets. We were given a senior rate and charged $15 per pet. Our total bill was $124. Too pricey in my opinion.

Check in was easy. The desk clerk was nice, but wasn't dressed for the part. First impressions count and all I saw was cleavage and tattoos.

We were looking forward to the breakfast, but left and ate elsewhere. Not the quality we've come to expect. My mini-muffin was so hard I couldn't eat it. The "juice" was nasty. The staff was standing around talking and smoking. When the manager or owner arrived, they scattered and got busy.

Our room smelled musty, but the bed was comfy, good shower, but the bathroom floor had lots of dark hair swept behind door. Ick.

There were lots of trains passing nearby during the night. The noise woke me a couple of times. If you are a light sleeper, make another choice.

• Stayed October 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Milton, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Had a good night sleep but the room was really in need of repair. Must be close to a train yard cause it seem like every few minutes you would hear a train. I finally had to go down and get ear plugs and then slept pretty good. Very noisy from people going past our room before and after we got up. Then went down for breakfast and that was a joke, ended up eating at a restaurant away from the motel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Georgetown, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Part of the expense is 16% tax! but even so the room is not worth the $85/night.

The internet is diabolical, dropping the connection after a short time of inactivity and then impossible to reconnect for a few hours.

To cap it all some other guest sat with his diesel truck running at 5am!

OK so your stay might be more pleasant, the guy with the truck was the last straw for me. I still think the hotel is overpriced for what it offers and you should consider something else along the route.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Well this hotel was certainly not the worst place I've ever stayed (that honor goes to Motel 6 in Mobile, AL) but there were many things I observed that could be improved.

First, the room was recently updated and was very clean. So points to them for that. But we came in at 10:00pm and the A/C was set on 75 and the room was so hot. I understand being energy minded, but 75 was too much if they knew the room was booked for the night. Secondly, the refrigerator was off. This was a major inconvenience as it sent scrambling for ice for our cooler instead of putting our items in the refrigerator. Once again, energy savings is good, but if the room is booked... The rate they were charging was competitive for a tiny town like Harriman, so they could afford to have the A/C and refrigerator on.

Now for the bad. The parking lot and exterior corridors were both poorly lit. I wouldn't have felt comfortable walking from my car to my room had I been alone. I walked from the room to the ice machine downstairs and was on my guard. The exterior corridor was so poorly lit that I actually stumbled on the stairs on my way back up. Not cool.

The owners/managers are working both the Quality Inn and the adjacent Rodeway Inn. Both looked very run down from the outside. During check out, it appeared that the owners/managers were present along with one front desk agent who was training. You can imagine how that went. The mangers were in plain clothes but the agent at least had on a Quality Inn shirt. I can't say that for the other employees. All of the cleaning staff were in plain clothes (one was in a tank top and shorts). In this day and age, I think it's important to have staff in a uniform. It's too easy for people to steal things or worse. Similarly, the next morning when we were checking out, a man ran across the parking lot from the office at the Rodeway Inn and asked us, "Checking out?" whereupon he took our key and room number and that was it. He was nice enough, but the management obviously needs to go back to Customer Service and Professionalism 101.

Two notes:

We didn't eat the continental breakfast as we got up late and they only serve until 9:30am. Instead, we went to the Cracker Barrel on the other side of the Rodeway Inn. Good decision.

Our room faced the front, thus the railroad tracks. It is a VERY active route apparently because trains were passing every 30 minutes to an hour. We were so exhausted we didn't even wake up at night, but I imagine that it would be torture for a light sleeper. So ask for a back side room (overlooking the parking lot).

All in all, if we were forced to stay at this exit again, we will probably try to the Comfort Inn or Holiday Inn Express instead.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the back parking lot will save you from hearing the train (at least a little)...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Ash Flat, Arkansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We walked in the room and even our kids complained of the smell. We had to then change rooms because the blankets were dirty. When we changed rooms we had to sweep the bathroom floor ourself because there was hair all in the floor.
The following morning we went down to the "free" continental breakfast to having to BUY orange from the vending machine for juice for our kids. The lady running breakfast was not friendly at all.
As far as I'm concerned they need to change the name of this hotel because there was nothing quality about it. As members of the Choice Privilages program for over 10 years we were very disappointed.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Cuba, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We stayed here mostly because they accept pets. We were very glad we did! Rooms were clean and beds were excellent. We had both a fridge and a microwave. The shower had great water pressure, the tv worked great. Breakfast the next morning was adequate, again the food area was spotless. We will stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a room in the back, easy access from the parking lot.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Savannah, Tennessee, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We had a family gathering and had a block of rooms reserved Had problems with management making many eroneous charges to our credit cards and they will not talk about it they do not return calls they hang up on you etc. I guess they figure if the charges are $17.45 a night extra you will just let it pass and go about your way. They are Rude and Choice Hotels International has an answer "that is an independently owned motel you have to take it up with them". Choice hotels international then transfered my call to that hotel again I was imediately hung up on. TV did not work properly heat went out in another room it was 63 in that room they had a small baby with them another room had to open doors to cool it down and was running AC I have charges on my credit card as well as more charges on a debit card we were way overcharged and management was caught in several lies and now they will not talk about it told me I did not have any charges My Mastercard and My Bank at home both beg to differ

I highly recommend you stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Go anywhere else except here or Roadway
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Quality Inn Harriman? Share your experiences!