“Incompetence” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Germantown
Longboat Key, Florida
“Incompetence”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2014 via mobile

Stayed two nights for a wedding...everything about the hotel is average, and that's fine. However, I needed a safe for some personal items, and they were unable to provide the keys to their safe deposit boxes. They offered the boxes at their sister property the Fairfield Inn... They didn't have keys for their boxes either. How is that possible? They are in the hospitality business. I was assured by the District mgr and the assistant mgr that they would resolve the problem immediately ... It was never resolved . I'm sorry didn't help me... What I needed was the problem solved. The morning we left, the manager offered his apologies , which didn't help me, I'd already heard enough of those. I used the incompetent word, and he was offended, however, I can't think of another word that fits the situation.

• Stayed October 2014
Richie G, General Manager at Residence Inn Memphis Germantown, responded to this review, 1 week ago
I appreciate you letting us know about your recent experience at Residence Inn Memphis Germantown. I apologize f or the confusion and miss communication with the safe deposit boxes at both properties. It is always our intent for every guest to have a pleasurable experience. I hope to see you again and thank you being a guest.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Chardon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2014

I like the idea of a small kitchen, table in a hotel room. Some people like to be catered to, but I am a more do it myselfer. We had been traveling for almost 3 weeks and stayed in a lot of hotels, but this is the one I am most comfortable in. It looks clean, neat and enough room to move about. The bed is comfortable, We go out to eat, but it is nice to have a refrigerator or microwave if you want it. My husband loves popcorn and his iced tea mix. I am not in a hotel to live the rest of my life, it is basically a place to sleep and relax, which I did here. I found the staff friendly and did not have any problems for the 2 night we stayed.

Green Features: Not sure about this practice, other than the water for towels and sheets
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for leeting us know about your recent experience. We love that you love Residence Inn. My staff and I at Residence Inn Memphis Germantown strive for excellence, and it is always our intent for every guest to have a pleasurable experience. We hope to see you again soon. Thank you for being a loyal guest.

newark ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2014

I have never stayed at a Residence Inn and I probably won't again. The suite was clean, the bedrooms were small. Details were lacking, one bathroom had tissues the other did not, only one small trash can etc. The towel bar fell off the wall (without being touched) and the the handicap rail was not far behind, these were obvious and apparently not addressed by maintenance and housekeeping. The exterior door to the building malfunctioned and keys would not work. We notified the front desk on Saturday early evening, When we returned to the hotel Sunday evening the door still had not been repaired. It would have saved numerous guests time and frustration if a sign had been posted.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
I appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your recent experience at Residence Inn Memphis Germantown. It is always our intent for every guest to have a pleasurable experience. All the issues you encountered have been addressed. I hope to see you back in the future to see the issues were not indicative of the property.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2014

I came here in 2013 for 30 days and 2014 for 31 days in the summer, so I've had quite my share of experience with this place.

PROS:
-Nice area, local convenience store (Walgreens), a Subway, a few other restaurants in walking distance, and a really close Farmer's market with a lot of healthy foods. There's also a huge shopping plaza with Kroger's and other stores just down the street.
-Comfortable beds and pillows
-Free WiFi
-Decent breakfast (eggs was the only thing I took, and milk)
-Cool fireplace, good temperature control (other hotels have issues with this)
-Kitchen is very spacious and contains everything one might need. Cutting board, utensils, plates, pots, bowls, pans, skillets, etc.

CONS
1. Most of the housekeeping employees
-First of all, I have to be very blunt and mention, they were ALL African-American for some reason. Not a single employee I saw was white, which I found kind of strange. They had some kind of clique and they all kept talking in very, VERY loud voices about what they did the night before. They were so loud I woke up at least 4-5 times in the few hours they were cleaning the rooms. I don't understand why they had to scream down the hall even when I politely mentioned I was trying to sleep. My work was all night and I sleep all morning. I always had a do-not-disturb sign and never got disturbed.

-The second year I used this hotel, one of the sinks was leaking in the bottom cabinet and the carpet nearby got wet. When I called the front desk they said it'd have to wait till morning. I mentioned I was working all night and could not stay awake all morning waiting for an "engineer", so I scheduled him for late evening. I woke up at 10am with some man trying to open my door (I had the latch/lock thingy) and I jumped up and went to the door. He said "Oh I thought nobody was here."
I told him "So if nobody was here you were just going to enter my room? I clearly have a Do Not Disturb sign hanging. I also requested an evening inspection of the leak with all due respect." He said he wanted to leave early for the day and he left without checking the sink. This was a one-time incident but I thought I should mention it.

-Snack costs were a ripoff. I came down 20 minutes late for breakfast (my fault) to get one of the small milk containers and they said they closed. I told them I worked all night and they didn't care to accommodate me, which..I'll overlook. But then I was told to buy milk for $2 if I wanted one (it was about 8-10 fl oz.). $2. for a cup of milk. After my free breakfast time ended by 20 minutes. Really? The businesses that are beloved to people are beloved because customer service tries to go above and beyond. I hardly was asking for that.

-FIRE ALARM
Some idiots exist in the world and unfortunately I woke up on a fire alarm during the daytime at least 2 times this year and 4 times last year. This means you gotta take your valuables, if you have any, and run outside. After the first incident, I stopped doing that because it was so ridiculous. But you'll lose hearing in your ears for at least 10 minutes after the alarm stops. And it takes about 10 minutes for the firetruck. So....goodluck with the fires. One was popcorn burning because idiots don't know how to make things.

Overall it was a nice place but next year when I return for a month, I probably won't come back, I didn't really see anything that was really worth the price here. Especially when it came to customer service. You'd think an elite status or multiple weeks would help, but nope. This place is going downhill and the value is no longer worth it at that cost.

7.5/10

Room Tip: Stay away from loud housekeepers screaming down the hall. And dogs peeing in the hallways because th...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Richie G, General Manager at Residence Inn Memphis Germantown, responded to this review, October 10, 2014
Thank you letting us know about your recent stay at the newly renovated Residence Inn Memphis Germantown. It is always our intent for every guest to have a pleasurable stay. I apologize for the issues you encountered, which are not indicative of the property. I love to discuss the issues when convenient for you. I appreciate you being a loyal Marriott Rewards Member.

General Manger
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2014

The Marriott hotel chain is a well practiced,
well run organization. I have always enjoyed
their extra expertise and level of care. This
Inn was an even higher caliber Marriott.
Landscaping was better than the typical Marriott.

Room Tip: There is a railroad on the other side of the street. I heard it outside but not inside. you might as...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
I appreciate you letting us know about your recent stay at the newly renovated Residence Inn Memphis Germantown. It is always our intent for every guest to have a pleasurable experience. Thank you for enjoying our landscaping and our guest services.

Northampton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel multiple times and it was always a pleasant experience. I especially like the fact that there is an outdoor pool and a hottub. The rooms are all modern and spacious, outfitted with more TVs than anyone should need and a large, comfortable bed.

The location was very convenient and I enjoyed several long runs in the area, which is very safe.

The only issue I had with this hotel was the loud air conditioner. Memphis being Memphis, I preferred not to turn off the A/C despite the atrocious sounds it was making, but it made sleep much more difficult.
Cleanliness could also have been slightly better, but overall the staff did a good job of keeping the rooms in good condition.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Richie G, General Manager at Residence Inn Memphis Germantown, responded to this review, September 9, 2014
Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay at the newly renovated Residence Inn Memphis Germantown. I assure the issue with AC has been addressed. We appreciate you being our guest, and It is always our intent for every guest to have a pleasurable experience. We hope to see you again on your next trip to Germantown.

Best regards,

Richie
Collierville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014 via mobile

I first started staying at Marriott Hotels back in the 80's because they remembered my name. This hotel is newly renovated, clean AND they have gone out of their way to accommodate us. Everyone from the managers, front desk, maids, and maintenance have been very nice.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you Dave for letting us know about your recent experience at the newly renovated Residence Inn Memphis Germantown. It is always our intent for every guest to pleasurable stay. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Best regards,

Richie

Been to Residence Inn Memphis Germantown? Share your experiences!