“Locked Out” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Germantown
Lynchburg, Virginia
“Locked Out”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

We stayed at this hotel due to its close proximity to the hospital. Our family was called in from VA, NC, AL since my F-I-L was gravely ill.

Arrived at hotel on Saturday, 2/12/11. Was called to hospital during middle of night. Came back to hotel at 2:30am and tried to get in using room key. The sliding front doors were DEADBOLT locked. Called hotel, no answer. Rang bell in foyer, no answer. Knocked on glass sliding doors, no answer. Finally, my brother-in-law walked around building and found a way in through side door. It took him at least 15 minutes or more trying to get the front door unlocked. During this time, NO ONE from the front desk was ever seen. Once we finally got in the hotel, we took pictures of the clock at the front desk, took picture of the staff personal belongings just lying around, took picture of front desk with no attendant. The front door being dead bolt locked goes against FIRE CODE!! If it took us at least 15 minutes to figure out how to unlock the sliding front door, can you imagine the chaos if there was a fire in the hotel and the front door was locked???

We tried to call hotel from the hospital to notify additional family members of where we were and the front desk staff did not answer the phone. The phone just rang and rang and rang. Again, we noticed this when we returned back to the hotel and was locked out.

The General Manager did call my brother-in-law after he called and complained. We did get a Saturday night stay complimentary along with breakfast, but in reality, the ramifications of being locked in/out is dangerous.

Room was clean, but small.
Bathroom (shower/toilet) did not have good lighting.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

My husband had business in Memphis so we tagged along to go to the Children's Museum of Memphis. Upon arriving we found the room to be much smaller than we were expecting. With a king bed, pull-out sofa, work table, dresser and tv, there was no room to pass one another. It was very cramped for two adults and two young children.

The first thing I noticed was that the room was very warm. The A/C was already turned up on high so we called the front desk. A socially inept man came up and tinkered around with it a moment and mumbled that the filter was dirty. I saw the filter and it looked fine to me. He returned the filter and just walked out of the room without so much as a word--we weren't sure if he was done or coming back or what. It never got any cooler in that room so I took a shower and went to bed with a wet head to feel cool. I really wished I'd had a fan.

Speaking of shower, I have to say that the best part of the stay was the strong, pulsating showerhead. It was really a nice surprise. But the shower curtain was entirely too short and the draft caused by the serious shower action caused the curtain to flap around. It barely touched the side of the tub, so the floor was flooded when I was finished. The bathroom was nice and roomy though and clean.

The sink area outside of the bathroom door was also tiny and cramped.

It had a quality, heavy Rowenta iron that worked well.

The bed was not comfortable either. I always check the bedding and while it was clean and odor-free it did not even have a descent mattress cover but a pad barely large enough to cover the king sized mattress. That did not make me feel terribly sanitary. It was also a cheap blue plain quilted matress of low quality--you know the kind. I have a bad back and finally took some pain killers just so I could sleep and not really care how hot and uncomfortable I was. The pillows were fine and plentiful.

Another nice surprise was that the pull-out sofa bed mattress was quite thick. I don't know if it would suit a grown man, but a child, teen or small adult would probably be comfortable on it.

This was a last minute reservation so we just assumed there would be complimentery breakfast, but there was not. I'm glad I had granola bars and the like for the children but my poor husband went to work hungry because he said it didn't look worth $12.

We also just assumed a hotel of this type would have a microwave or frig but it did not. It had the space for one in the cabinet, but it was empty. I'm glad we brought a small cooler to keep some leftovers and fruit in.

Overall, as frequent travelers, this hotel was a big disappointment. For the same amount of money we could have had working a/c, a comfortable bed and a nice breakfast. I recommend Homewood Suites on Poplar, they give you a full kitchen and breakfast for about the same price.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Germantown hotels

SW Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2009

Every, and I mean every, person on the staff was friendly and accommodating. Rooms clean, common areas clean and beds comfortable. We were just passing through and could not be more pleased. And the price was right!

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
adamcox
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2008

What a great staff! We travelled to Memphis to visit my grandparents with my 2 little boys, 3 and 18 months. We thought we had booked a 2 room suite so that our children could go to sleep early while mom and dad watched TV. When we checked in we realized that the room was incorrect, the front desk quickly remedied the situation and moved us to a 2 room suite.

The next morning we went downstairs for breakfast. The staff in the dining area were so accomodating. The cook came out and asked if our boys liked strawberries and returned with a special plate full of sliced strawberries and bannanas sprinkled with powdered sugar. Everyone in this hotel including the cleaning staff were so friendly and accomodating, we felt like we were staying in a 5 star resort.

I would highly recomend this hotel to anyone who values service and attitude - this is one of the best hotel staffs I ever seen.

• Liked — The staff and service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Franklin, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2008

Staff were friendly and rooms were clean. Well, except for the balcony. Also they didn't have patio furniture on the balcony which was upsetting. Most Courtyards do. The hotel's location isn't very convenient unless you are doing Germantown. It takes a while to get through all the relights to make your way back up to I40 and head to downtown. But if you have things to do in Germantown, then I definitely recommend this hotel. Get some Memphis style BBQ at the Commissary right down the road. It's good stuff!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Greenville, Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2007

We stayed here one night following a wedding.

We paid $89/night and the price included a free hot breakfast for our family of 4.

The room was nice and included a balcony w/ chairs overlooking a garden area.

Breakfast was mostly a buffet w/ eggs, bacon. sausage, gravy, grits, bagels and pastries, toast, fresh fruit, etc. The wait staff was available to turn in special orders for omelets, fried eggs, etc. My youngest (10) was highly impressed w/ the service we received--since most of her experience has revolved around hotels that offer continental breakfast which provided, at best, a self-service waffle iron.

The staff was really helpful. They provided us w/ a map and directions to the wedding venue.

We had a great stay and would definitely stay w/ them again.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2007

Hub and I usually make a point of staying at this hotel whenever we're in Memphis, which is a few times a year. The beds here are really comfortable; it's clean, and quiet, and seems to have been renovated fairly recently. There are nice marble-topped vanities in the bathrooms and free Internet. Additionally, the breakfast served in the cafe is pretty good, even though it costs $8 or so. It's usually around $120 per night, but considering it's a really nice place, I think it's worth the money.

This hotel is also literally next door to a shopping center with a good Chinese restaurant, an Amerigo's, and - extra bonus - a Jason's Deli, which has the best salad bar of any chain anywhere. There are several cute boutiques nearby; a Target; a Pottery Barn outlet store; and a great outdoor store. The area is also rife with amenities, including a nearby grocery store and movie theater.

There's also plenty of free parking and a covered entrance into the lobby, which came in handy last year when we stayed here during a downpour. There never seem to be overly many people here, which may be why it's so quiet. Be sure to ask for a room on the side of the hotel facing away from the traintracks, though.

• Liked — Comfy bed, clean room, plenty of water pressure
  • Disliked — The hotel can be noisy if you're on the side near the train tracks
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Courtyard Memphis Germantown? Share your experiences!