“Do you like taking care of a horse?” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sequatchie Valley B&B Guest Ranch

Sequatchie Valley B&B Guest Ranch
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dunlap
Sequatchie Valley B&B Guest Ranch
You added Sequatchie Valley B&B Guest Ranch to your Saves list
1050 Ray Hixson Road, Dunlap, TN 37327   |
Chattanooga, TN
“Do you like taking care of a horse?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

The sign at this location is "Tennessee Guest Ranch". You can find out more info at TNHorseVacation.com. As is shown in their info, each guest is assigned a horse at check in and you take care of that horse during your stay. You can also pay for a non-rider room and board, but they may encourage you to let that person groom and feed the horse even if not riding. We had a 3-day riding stay. The first day after check-in was for instruction. The second and third days were riding. If you are there on a Sunday, you will ride over cow pastures to a local Methodist church. Also included are morning chores of milking a cow and gathering eggs. That was only once for us, not each day. The house is large, but you will hear a lot of noise until quiet time. There is also a homeschool-type boarding school here, so there are always a lot of young people. The owners are very friendly and encourage you to adopt a whole grain eating approach. They also like to teach Bible lessons with horse emphasis, so non-religious people may get a little intimidated.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

I stayed at the Guest Ranch in the fall of 2012, with my husband and daughter.
My first impression was fantastic- I arrived at a lovely ranch house, with a beautifully built red and white barn just yards away. We were greeted by mounted cowgirls on horseback, who were both polite, helpful and very welcoming. I was then greeted by the owner, who was just lovely and full of the Southern Hospitality we always hear about.
The ranch house was clean, tidy, wonderfully decorated, and smelled of fresh baked bread- which I soon found out was delicious! We met our horses- I had a brilliant grey horse named Exodus, my husband had a paint named TC and my daughter had a lovely white pony named Sunny. Our horses and wranglers took very good care of us throughout the trip.

In the morning, we went out to take care of our horses, and do the easy chores that they came with-feeding, grooming and then saddling the horses. Our wrangler was there every step of the way to teach us the proper, safe way to do everything, and then make sure everything was alright. My daughter was thrilled- the last guest ranch we had stayed at did NOT let us tack or groom our own horses. Breakfast was delicious, flavorful AND healthy. I couldn't ask for better.

The trails were absolutely BEAUTIFUL, and the Bible studies fascinated me. My family and I found new ways to look at things, and spent more time on scriptures we didn't usually have the chance to really look at.
My husband and I even enjoyed stargazing from the back deck. In the daytime, the view was just breathtaking.
Every person we met at the ranch was friendly, genuine and always willing to lend a hand should we ever need help.
As the staff are important, i'll go on about them for a bit.
The staff members were very kind, very professional and always seeing what they could do to improve our stay. Our wrangler- I believe his name was Brice- was very helpful, kept myself, my husband and my daughter safe and happy throughout the vacation and the Bible studies on the trail he taught us were great. Tammy taught us cooking classes, which I loved and am now doing my best to use at home. The students and other wranglers were always checking in to ensure we had everything we needed.
I had a wonderful stay, and I definitely got my moneys worth, and then some!
I hope you have the same fantastic experience I did if you stay there.

Room Tip: My family stayed in the ' Western Bunk Room' which had a great view, nice spacing and lovely...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
White House, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

My dad has always wanted to be a cowboy so we went here for the chance of a lifetime and were not disappointed. We were enthralled by the natural beauty of the location and were warmly greeted by the owner. After that we wanted for nothing including food, a pleasant atmosphere and an experience that most people never have.

What is the attraction of this place? If you have an adventurous spirit it is the landscape, the interesting food, and the satisfaction of a job well done working with one of God's most glorious creatures; the horse. If you just want to lay around all day, don't bother. But for those who are up for a new experience, call right now and book your stay.

The ranch prides itself on feeding you like cowboys when they were on the trail; driving cows to market. At first glance, you may not be too excited about this, but the level of nutrients that is in this food will make your taste buds sing. You'll be full and your body will thank you.

There are still plenty of comforts. The house is really nice and the rooms are well kept. You are part of an actual ranch and have chores in regards to the upkeep of your horse. These are easy and your wrangler will help you every step of the way. The horses are very gentle and well trained. Also, the cement pond is great.

They appropriately call what they do a ministry. You have short Bible studies in regards to the horse. They are a preparatory academy, they provide equine therapy (for humans) and their mastiff is a therapy dog.

The owners and ranch hands are pleasant, patient, and personable. I couldn't have been more pleased with my interactions with them and how well they handled my seven year old son who has never been around horses.

Room Tip: This would be great for a men's or women's retreat. One of the rooms sleeps six on bunk beds...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Reading, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

Last summer we were looking for some downtime. A place to get away from the stress of work AND to celebrate our 25th year of marriage. This week in the gorgeous countryside of Tennessee fit the bill.

We choice the ranch owner's experience and had the entire ranch to ourselves. We rode every day to a new destination and enjoyed our horses.

We got to know the family quite well and enjoyed swapping stories. Reservations should be made well in advance and they will do all they can to accommodate all your wishes and needs. I just wish that we could have visited during a cooler time of the year. But eve so, we pulled up our boots and made some great memories.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

When I had arrived at this beautiful ranch in Tennessee I was greeted with all smiles and a great vibe we got our horses assigned according to our experience and I got to ride a horse called Montana he was the sweetest thing and I became very attached to him and was very sad I had to leave him this hotel/Ranch was one of the best I have ever been to the views are amazing the people are so kind with interesting bible studies and thrilling horse back rides I hope to go back their soon. I think that the fact that this Ranch is small makes Tammy and Chris young feel like family to me and I hope everyone can go to this ranch and feel the love I felt.
one of my favorite things about this ranch was it's whole made food and amazing bread!!!!

I also loved how interactive you could be with the animals it almost felt like I owned them!
in conclusion The sequatchie valley b&b guest ranch is one of the best places I have ever been and I suggest you go their!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Nashville, TN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2008

It might be a nice place... if you can get in. We did call kind of last-minute. We called on Sunday June 29 looking for a one-day stay on July 3, 4 or 5. The phone was answered by someone who identified herself as Gramma. Gramma was very nice, said that they person I needed to speak to would call me later the same night, so I only gave my home phone number. The woman did not call.

On my way home at 5 pm the next day (Monday the 30th), I called again. There was no answer, so I left a message with my home, work, and cell numbers. I got home, and my child had written a message from the woman with her name, Tammy W-, and her phone number. My child said the call had come at about 5 pm. I called back immediately, and again there was no answer and I left a message, again leaving home, work, and cell numbers.

At 5:40 pm on Tuesday July 1, I called again. I admit, I was a bit perturbed in my message as I had made it quite clear on Sunday and in subsequent messages that we were delaying planning every other part of our trip until we nailed down the Sequatchie Valley date because that was what my child most wanted to do. My message said that I was not accustomed to chasing people to give my money to them, and I again left my home, cell, and work numbers.

The woman, Tammy W-, called at 10:15 pm. She very sweetly told me that they were, oh DARN, booked up all the way till August! And that she had tried to get another telephone number out of my child.

I admit, I'm still angry. Why couldn't "Gramma" have told me there was no availability? Why couldn't Tammy have told my child there was no availability? In addition, I've specifically taught my children not to give phone numbers. If I'd know that she wasn't going to call Sunday evening, I'd have left more numbers with Gramma myself.

My specific complaints are unprofessionalism: inability or refusal to return phone calls, inability of staff to tell you if they're booked up or not, and attempts to blame the failures on a child.

Again, maybe they're very nice...once you get there. I myself will never know.

Stayed July 2008

Been to Sequatchie Valley B&B Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!