“Go for the Atmosphere, not the food” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Duff
Cuisines: Central American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Doing business, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
g2vols
“Go for the Atmosphere, not the food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

First of all don't go without reservations. you can't get past the guard shack. We enjoyed every aspect of this place except the food. Unbelievable view & the sky bridge was awesome. However the food was less than average. The steak was priced around the same as a nice steak house but but was more like a waffle house steak. Mashed potatoes tasted like instant potatoes (I'm pretty certain they were) but the daily special was meatloaf and it was excellent. All that being said the atmosphere is worth the drive and I would recommend going for that alone. Be sure to check out the sky bridge.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Troy, Ohio
“July 4th Getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

We ate at the restaurant on two consecutive nights since we stayed at the lodge for two nights. We had pasta and trout the first night and would rate both a 3 out of 5, then both of us had the small ribeye the second night and would rate both a 5 out of 5 .......... excellent cut of meat that was grilled perfectly. Service was good the first night, but slow the next. Prices were on par for what you receive.
The view ....... absolutely awesome ..... truly breathtaking! The drive up and down the mountain was curvy and steep, but not as bad as I thought it would be.
We watched fireworks after the clouds cleared both nights. We saw at least a dozen different fireworks show from 3 to probably 40 miles away.... truly amazing! The only bad thing was the weather ...... it was a storming during our stay and was very foggy / misty in the mornings ... couldn't even see the parking lot from our room.
And the lodge rooms ....... 5 out of 5 ........ exceptionally clean, quiet and very relaxing. Views were outstanding from our private deck and the room contained a large screen TV with great movie channels, recliners and one of the most comfortable beds we ever slept in.
Overall a truly unique and beautiful lodge. We loved our stay and would definitely go back.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Oak Ridge, Tennessee
“Spectacular Views will remind you how awesome Life Is!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

McCloud Mt. is located in LaFollette, TN, about a 50 minute drive from Knoxville and possibly East Tennessee' s best-kept secret.. Our first trip last fall for my mother's birthday was welcomed with SPECTACULAR fall foliage that was more beautiful than the Smoky Mtn's on a trip a few days prior.

As you climb the 2700 feet elevation gain to reach the top of the Cumberland Mountains you can physically feel yourself start to calm & download. Reaching the top is like transcending into a different world of peace and beauty. The property is owned by a local family who have put great thought, care and detail in providing folks with a spectacular opportunity to conveniently enjoy this area and yet keeping with the beauty of the surrounding mountains. (underground utilities, well-marked yet tasteful signs, keeping existing trees, etc)

The restaurant (and lodge) sit directly on top with views that are beyond spectacular and well worth the drive in itself. A word of caution: the restaurant is by reservations only but easy to make. It felt rather warm and welcoming to be checked in by the "gatekeeper" at the bottom of the mtn. (who bid us a nice day with cautions of "take your time and drive safe") They also seem to be a lot busier for special occasions like mother's day, Easter, etc. so plan ahead!

The restaurant has a limited menu but still provide a variety of typical southern dishes (turkey & dressing, chicken & dumplings, salads) and the portions adequate with fair menu prices. Being vegan, I felt they were accommodating to my specific requests. (Its amazing how some establishments can cop an attitude simply because you asked to "hold the meat" or "hold the cheese" ;) The salad & vegetables I ordered were of good size and fresh. My meat-eating traveling companions agreed their food was also good. The service is average and agree with another poster who said "....staff is never rude but....casual" and "a bit inattentive." That said, this is still a new restaurant so I imagine this will improve with experience and growth.
The restaurant itself is open, specious, clean and comfortable seating provide most tables the view. Further, they have built beautiful outdoor decking for guests that provide seats and comfortable viewing for awesome photo opportunities.

The experience was well worth the trip and we've been back several times since. You don't want to miss the beautiful newly built sky bridge (located on the other side of the mountain) with breathtaking views toward Duff, Tn and KY. The well-marked signs lead you there from the restaurant and are breathtaking. Worth the drive and because you can drive directly up to the bridge it provided even my senior mother an opportunity to enjoy the views.

We can't wait to return this summer and try out the beautiful lodge on site. I can't imagine waking up & sipping coffee on my deck to a view that will simply take your breath away!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Bowling Green, Kentucky
“overall good experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

We ate with 2 couples , service was not the best even with the restaurant less than half full on Saturday pm but food was pretty good, we were disappointed when arriving that the clouds were low when we reached the summit and could not see anything but that was not their fault. I would probably go back if in the area again but not go out of my way very much.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Harrogate, Tennessee United States
“Fine Dining in the clouds!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

This is the second trip for myself and my husband. We took some of our family with us this time to experience McCloud's. Both experiences were great. Great service and great food. I really don't think you could get a bad seat in this place neither! Reservations are usually required (we had reservations both times) but I did notice a sign that said walk ins may be taken. I had prime rib the first time (melt in your mouth delicious) and a buffalo burger most recently (amazing). Be prepared because the portions are huge and I feel like your money's worth! Highly recommended and we are already planning another trip soon!

• 5 of 5 stars Food