“Hotel Nightmare Seriously Do Not Stay Here” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Inn Crossville

Save Saved
You added Royal Inn Crossville to your Saves list
Royal Inn Crossville
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3380 North Main Street, Crossville, TN 38555 (Formerly Americas Best Value Inn)   |
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Crossville
Batavia, Illinois
“Hotel Nightmare Seriously Do Not Stay Here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

First of all I rarely right a bad review. Please, I beg you do not stay here. It was fithly and falling apart. My husband and I booked this room on a Thursday night August 4th for our drive up 127 for the World's longest garage sale. I booked it several weeks prior and it was the only place with rooms left. I read the horrible reviews here and on other reviews sites prior and thought, come on, how bad could it be?- we need a room, just a clean place to rest and bath.. I even warned my husband that it would be the most expensive room on our trip and would be a low end facility (vs Best Western and Holiday Inn Express at other stops in Columbia Ky and Lousiville at ounder $100 a night). We paid over $160 for one night here. Their usual rate is closer to $40-$50 a night but since the yard sale is going on all the hotels in the area raise their rates as lodging is hard to come by and books months in advance. I knew that going in. All we expected was a clean place to sleep and shower for the night. I didn't care about having a pool, breakfast or any other amenities. I knew we would pay dearly for a place to sleep and was just happy to have a reserved room.

After checking in we went to room 110. The weed covered concrete pool area in the front with the collapsed pool was the first signal of the horrible conditions we found. We did not even expect a pool- but to see that was a shock. We pull up to the room and see peeling paint on the walls outside and dirty peeling paint on the door and frames. OK- it is a value hotel.. no big deal. We open the door to a room with scuff marks all over the dirty light brown walls. The carpet is old and dirty. My husband looks at me and says are you KIDDING ME? There are no pictures or anything on the walls. The double beds have unfinished wood boards nailed together as the frame. The box springs have cuts and holes on all sides of each bed. The bed spreads and sheets had cigarette burn holes on the tops and bottom of the cloth. One was so large it had to have been from a cigar. OK- it is tacky but can it get worse? It did. The bathroom was pitiful. First off you could not close the door unless you first pulled up the toilet seat so you could close it. But you did not want to be in this bathrrom with the door closed it was so icky and dirty. Peeling paint on the ceiling and walls. Not a little- a lot!. The toilet seat was loose and moved sideways when you sat down. The tile was moldy... sorry.. still not done...... There was some sort of plastic goo applied to the base of the tub, I suppose to prevent slipping. OK- fine, but did it have to have green and black mold around the edges? The entire vent was missing up near the ceiling leaving about a 10" by 6" hole in the wall. ( I waited for a rat to pop out but never happened but couldn't keep my eyes off it every time I had to use the toilet). To top it off the bathtub edge had numerous burn marks from either a cigarette ( or crack pipe perhaps) all along the edges. I am not talking one or two but several. The towels were not just white, they had grey and brown stains on them. Every one of them was this way. This can't be real. America's Best Value Inn has there name on this place? This is a joke, right... Where are the candid cameras? After walking back to the bed area we noticed that all of the plates for the electric wall sockets were missing.. ALL of them. The door chain was also missing. Then I notice a fly zooming around. Perhaps from the.. say.. a 1/2 gap at the base of the door, not to mention the gap at the sides of the doors? We solved that by taking one of the lovely towels and placing it in the gap under the door. I knew from the other reviews I had read before booking this room that we were stuck. There was not a place to go even if we left. Another couple we saw in the parking lot later ( the hotel was booked full) commented to us.. "We didn't know that there was Ghetto hotels in rural Tennesse". And mind you Crossville is not big but this is the main business area and well traveled. We did a fast 2 minute shower and just could not stomach using the shower area longer than that or exposing our bare feet to the moldy tub base. It was that horrible. After 8 hours walking yard sales in the hot sun we were desperate to clean up but felt dirty after using the filty bathroom

We did check for bed bugs but did not see any. We even checked the next morning for bites just to be sure. Seriously it was that creepy. I kept on socks to avoid my feet touching the floor... well the socks turned black from the drity carpeting. So we kept the suitcase closed and then decided to store it in the car in case there were bugs.

No, we did not complain to the management. What were they going to do? move us to a better room? I don't think any of the rooms were different and where would we sleep if we left. In our car? It was the reviews said it would be and I should have listened to them. The owners have to know what a garbage pit this is. What I don't understand is how America's Best Value Inn could have their brand tarnished by having their name on this property. You know they have to do inspections and read the reviews and feedback from guests of this property. So I do not believe they do not know how bad this is. We have stayed at their properties before in other locations and while not perfect at least they were clean and serviceable. After this experience we will never stay at one of their properties again and we travel a lot. We can only protest with our consumer dollars and a complaint email to America's Best Value Inn Website.This propery has no business operating and subjecting guests to these dirty rundown conditions. Shame on America's Best Value Inn for allowing this to continue under the umbrella of their brand.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Eads, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

Black mold in bathroom, vent covered in masking tape, two fist sized holes in door also covered in tape. NO bars or hooks to hang clothes. Infested with flies from 1 inch gap under door. Broken bedside light switch required using plug to turn light on and off. Dirty stained towels. Bed frame was unfinished 2 X 10s nailed together. Husband left black footprints in tub after walking on filthy rug. Beds were comfortable but I was so creeped out at the flies I could not sleep. Breakfast consisted of coffee and a plate of mini chocolate donuts. Should be condemmed.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
desaivimal, Manager at Royal Inn Crossville, responded to this review, June 16, 2011
Sorry to hear that you had problems with you stay, there is never an excuse for some of the issues you encountered. Thank you for taking the time to inform us of the problems, we have addressed the issues with our staff and made the needed improvements. Please come back to stay with us again so you can see what we have done.
Jackson, MS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2010

You get what you pay for. I was actually surprised by this motel. I was expecting somthing a little worse, but the room was actually clean. The bedding, shower, and toilet were clean and the room did not smell, which are common problems with low budget motels. Now, the paint in the bathroom was peeling off, but that is expected at a motel of this caliber. I would stay here again if traveling through on a budget.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Milwaukee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

This hotel should be condemed. The lobby is a seperate building, that at one time was probably a gas station, It is very small, the front desk has bullet proof glass, thats what makes it scary, why have bullet proof glass, other hotels dont. There is a small
breakfast area, with one table, this is where the free breakfast is served.
The rooms are in a seperate building down a hill, this is a very old building,
the rooms are terrible, they smell like mold. Americas Best Value Inn should not have this a as a franchise hotel,. They call it a 3 star hotel, it should be a half star hotel.
I checked out ASAP , demanded a refund, which I didnt get and went to thr nearest Hampon Inn.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
All over the US
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

There are many expensive motels, almost everywhere, however, when you seek a bargain, look to Americas Best Value Inns. Overall you'll find a good price, location, service and remember, it's partly your attitude that helps make a stay good, even if you stay in the most expensive place you can find. I think you'll find excellent value and reasonable experiences at any of the Americas Best Value Inns I've stayed at. There is better, but plenty of worse, and the value is there!

Room has microwave, refrigerator, big TV, plenty of channel cable service, bath tub and lots of hot water, good soap and shampoo, plenty of clean towels, friendly maid service...I don't know what else one could wish for and have such a reasonable price. I like buying items I can microwave in my own room and save money.

I travel a lot, so I have room freshener if I get a smoking room, sometimes a smoking room is more conveniently located, and I'm ready, I don't smoke but I can be comfortable in a smoking room. I'm prepared to enjoy my stay, all I want is a fair shake and I always get more than that at Americas Best Value Inns.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

This hotel is by far the worst i've ever stayed in. We had to febreeze the place down first thing. The smell was horrible. The chairs in the room were so dirty i had to ask for extra towels to lay on them in order to sit down. Bathroom door would barely close, it was very dirty, and the fan didn't work and the fan switch was hanging off the wall. One wall in the room had a mouse hole in it and the carpet was coming up. I complained at the front desk and they said they would call maintence while we were out to dinner. Nothing changed except they layed out some complimentary mini shampoos and conditioners. We had to find things to do for the night so we could spend the least amount of time possible in our room.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2008

This motel is rated 10 in 14 of the area. I would really hate to see the other 4. Our stay was a joke (but not a funny one). First the overhead light didn't work. The bedside lamps were falling off the wall. The water in the tub and commode ran constantly. The ceiling tiles in the bathroom were broker and falling down. Before we even had our stuff in the room at least 6 trucks and cars filled with foreign workers started filling the rooms. Rather loudly, I will add.
Well, we got the bedside lamps to work. Our 2nd mistake. (1st mistake... taking the room). Once the lights were working we saw we had company. Roaches!!!! All over the wall guess they don't like light. (Zoom in on the picture of one of them that almost got away). I told my husband to take all our things back to the car. The thought of those nasty bugs getting into our bags was more then I could take. Bring just one roach home with you and you have thousands in no time.
I like to try and find something positive in everything....so here it is. The lobby looked nice and the cup of coffee was good.
I will now check and double check before I get another motel room.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Royal Inn Crossville? Share your experiences!