“Average to aveage” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Crossville
Bowling Green, Kentucky
“Average to aveage”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

The hotel is average for the chain. When I arrived the desk clerk was outside on a smoke break, she did come in but this is always a bad start. The room I booked was not available this is always another bad sign. Hotels should not book a room they can not provide. the staff was friendly, daily paper is provided. The breakfast was what you expect at Holiday express. If I return to Crossville I will stay else where. The hotel is right on the highway so if you can not get the rear which is what we booked, go elsewhere.

Room Tip: stay rear of hotel only!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1975red04, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I apologize that we were not up to our usual standards and that the area you wanted wasn't available. It is always our intention to meet the needs of our guests. We hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

If you are accustomed to Hampton Inn, this is not quite so good but it is ok for the price - IF - you are not looking for a long-term stay. This is a reasonably priced and reasonably clean place. When we arrived, I had to stand at the front desk for a few seconds before the clerk, who was busy with her head down writing something, bothered to recognize me. Even then, the greeting wasn't exactly warm but perfunctory. Our room was ok and the complimentary breakfast the next morning was ok, too, but not exceptional...mucho mechanized. I might stay here again if I were headed in the same direction ... but only if I had no alternative.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1975red04, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your comments.
We hope to see you again soon.
tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

This was our first experience with a Holiday Inn properties and it was terrible.We took a last minute trip and all the other hotels nearby were booked...next time I will sleep in the car. I will begin with the small items first...I made my reservation by phone and when I asked for an email confirmation, the agent suggested that she simply TELL me the confirmation number...when we checked out, we were not given any type of receipt, nor was I given a copy of the forms that I signed upon checkin....all bad business...of the four lamps in the room, two were unplugged and two did not work at all...the bed sagged badly on both sides but the very worst and most legitmate concern was that When we opened the door to the room, an awful, mildew/mold smell hit immediately..strong enough to burn your eyes...we would have complained and asked for another room immediately, BUT the hotel said they were sold out..so that was not an option...we tried turning up the AC in hopes of clearing up the smell but to no avail...and soon we saw the reason...(I don't know the underlying cause of the moisture which caused the mold, but I suspect it was well known to the management as it looked as though the room had been very freshly painted (covering up???)) We discovered a moldy spot on the ceiling above a framed picture and the picture itself had mold growing on the inside of the glass and on the picture as well as the matt...I took pictures to document this issue....it is surely one for the health department. The smell persisted all night and when we checked out, our clothes even smelled of it...I am CERTAIN that there have been other complaints...in addition to this we had to pay extra for a 'suite' because we were told that there were no other rooms left...an exorbitant price for a room with public health issues.
Again, we did not inform the person at the desk (it was around 10 p.m.) because with the lack of other rooms to move into, we were stuck. I had planned to email HIX and get their response before posting this, but I just sent them and email and got a confirmation from them stating that it could be up to 21 days before I got their response....didn't want someone else to get into this same situation.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1975red04, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations. As I don't know what room you were in I will only respond to the comment of the fresh paint for a cover up. All our rooms were painted by an outside company 4 years ago and haven't been painted since. I would be interested in speaking to you about the other issues you had.
NW Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed for 1 night after picking my daughter up from camp. Decent room- air didn't seem really cold- but cool enough. Breakfast standard, but they had fresh fruit. I'd stay again. Reserved online for the best deal- better than the military rate.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for choosing to stay at our hotel. We hope to see you again soon.
Jasper, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

This was my first experience at this HIE, but not my first trip to Crossville. The room was nice, although I would have liked to have a refrigerator. When I returned to the hotel late in the evening, the only parking available was in the back parking lot at the bottom of a long hill. I did not feel safe as I climbed the hill to enter the hotel lobby; I am also not in physical condition to be going up and down such a hill. I travel to Crossville several times each year, but a stay at this hotel will be only as a last resort as I do not want to be forced to park that far away from the front entrance and also at the bottom of a hill.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1975red04, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and also for staying with us. I apologize that you had to park in the back parking lot. Our suites do have microwaves and mini frig in them, but you are right most people expect them in all rooms. I was sorry to hear you would only stay with us again as last resort. We hope to see you again.
Cleveland, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

This was my second stay at this Holiday Inn Express. Check-in was friendly and without a hitch. I had a problem changing channels on my tv and a nice maintenance man had things fixed within 20 minutes of my call to the front desk. The HD television has numerous HD channels. I found my room to be very comfortable and quiet. The mattress and light duvet were perfect. All in all, an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1975red04, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We are always glad to hear we have met our guests expectations. We hope to see you again in the near future.
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Stayed here Sunday 9th June, the first night of our road trip on the way home after leaving Nashville. Arrived quite late in the rain, the check in guy was good and attentive and they still had cookies!! Room was OK a little dated - typical HIX standard. We did get bitten in the night. The complimentary breakfast the next morning was the presented in clean surroundings with helpful staff.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for staying with us. We appreciate your business and taking the time to write a review. We are always glad when we have met our guests expectations.

Been to Holiday Inn Express? Share your experiences!