“Very nice place at a great price” 4 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Free Deluxe Breakfast
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Cookeville
Norfolk, Virginia
“Very nice place at a great price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We had to travel to Cookeville for a wedding, so needed lodging for two nights. Most of the places in town were either too costly, already booked, or both. Found the Alpine Lodge & Suites online, read the reviews, and decided to take a chance.

After ten hours on the road, it was easy to find and the staff was friendly and welcoming. True, the A/C in the room wasn't on, and it was hot, but it cooled down by the time we had the car unloaded. The room was clean and comfortable, the continental breakfast was more than enough, and we were able to borrow a hair dryer when needed.

So, overall, it was a nice place to stay, at a very affordable price.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I chose this hotel based on price and the fact it's family owned. There are always surprises that come with a non-chain hotel. This time it was pleasant choice. I only stayed one night, so was unable to take full advantage of the refrigerator and microwave. I took full advantage of the recliner. The room had a new flat screen TV, so I was able to view my daily pictures with great clarity. I chose a room looking towards the mountains and used the patio the next morning and it was a great and relaxing view. The room was very clean and spacious with no bad odors. With free internet I was able to plan, in detail, the next day of my vacation. The staff was very friendly and didn't ignore you when you happen to see them. I used the pool for a little while at night. It was large, clean, and refreshing. Another plus is that the hotel is on the edge of town, so it's very quiet. Free breakfast was waffles, cereal, fruit, etc.

Room Tip: To see above the park cars, get a second floor room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Bloomington, Illinois, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We arrived on July 4th with a reservation that had been made a week in advance. So we were going to show up. It was 105 degrees!! We had been traveling the whole day and wanted to rest in our nice cool room before we went to watch fireworks... But...when we got to our room the air conditioner was not even turned on... It was 105 degrees...we had a reservation...they had my phone number to verify we were on our way.... No phone call to check...we walked into a hot room,and when I went to the front desk, i was told sorry...the owners just don't turn on the air till the guests get there... So much for relaxing...we turned on the air, and got back in the car for a few more hours so our room could cool down a little. I would like to suggest a phone call to your guests just to make sure they are coming, and then a staff person turning on tne air a few hours before their arrival would be much appriciated... Other than that... It was ok for the price.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, Owner at Alpine Lodge & Suites, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Thank you for your review. I'm very sorry the a/c in your room was not running before you got there. If one of our employees told you we do not turn on the a/c for our reservations, they were incorrect. When it is hot or cold, we try to always turn on the a/c for our reservations and a few extra for walk ins. This does not usually happen, and I apologize.

Peter J. Gabriel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

The lodge sits atop a hill. Most rooms have a small patio or balconies. There is a gazebo out by the pool. The staff is willing to please because they have been here for years. So if you want a room with a view, peacefully, comfortable, very affordable in lovely surroundings, this is the place.

• Stayed June 2012
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

My husband & I (and sometimes our cat, Smidgen) stay at the Alpine Lodge & Suites whenever we travel from Richmond, VA to Hot Springs Village Arkansas & back. We've always stayed in one of the lower level rooms facing Hwy 70N / E. Spring Street and enjoy being able to sit out on the room's porch when the weather is nice.

In the 5 or 6 years we've been staying here, our room has always been clean and well kept up; at least as well as higher priced hotels and usually better. With this review I'm submitting a few pictures of areas that tend to get grungy first so you can see the level of upkeep.

I believe their salt water pool filtration system was supposed to be completely installed by the end of June 2012 and I'm looking forward to taking a swim there in July.

If you stop over here, be sure to try out the new Mexican Restaurant just a few steps down the hill. Very friendly folks, very reasonable prices and serving sizes, and (we thought) very tasty food.

And there's a nice little park with wooded trails across Hwy 70N to stretch your legs in before or after dinner.

I still have to say that the continental breakfast isn't really great. It's what keeps me from giving Alpine Lodge & Suites 5 stars. The coffee's hot though and the fruit is usually good. Sadly, I can't speak for the cereal and waffles since I have to have gluten free, but my husband's never complained so they must be ok.

Next time you're 'bout ready to end your day's travel and you're near Cookeville, TN, try this place out. I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Room Tip: We've always stayed in the lower level rooms facing Hwy 70N and been very pleased with them. Th...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Leslie
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

April 19, 2012
The rooms in the front have a balcony looking out to beautiful mountains. The owners are actually from Switzerland, thus the name Alpine Lodge. The staff is super friendly. Great place to stay for a decent price! Also, I found a coupon online and got the room even cheaper. We had a suite, 2 queens the room was huge with its own hot tub. The place is clean, but carpet was a little worn. Breakfast was decent.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

We decided to stay here for one night on our way back from Texas. We got a 3 queen bed room which was very spacious and was wonderful since we have 2 teenage boys. The room was quiet, and very large. My only complaint was the blankets seemed old and had cigarette holes in them and the couch and recliner in the room were pretty dirty. Also, even though it was a non smoking room, there was a strange odor. The price was right for this hotel, and the staff was very friendly. The room we had did not have a balcony, that would have been wonderful. If this hotel had some new blankets and newer, cleaner furniture, I would be giving it a much better rating.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Alpine Lodge & Suites? Share your experiences!