“Not as bad as reviews say...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Inn

You added Clarion Inn to your Saves list
Clarion Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   970 South Jefferson Avenue, Cookeville, TN 38501 (Formerly Garden Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Cookeville
Traveling BBQ Tour
“Not as bad as reviews say...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2009

Normally in Cookeville, we stay at the Comfort Suites as weekday rates are lower. We wanted to try the Clarion because of the waterslide and pool which is sometimes fun to do on trips as we come through Cookeville fairly often. When we pulled into the lot on the Saturday night, we were concerned because all we saw was outside entry rooms - we prefer inside corridors due to safety. Walking into the entryway, we could understand all the cars in the lot as the lounge was rockin' and the party was going on. The first thing I asked the clerk was where our room was and he said that we were in their executive wing and there were banquet rooms and a kitchen between the room and the lounge so that was a relief. We checked in around 10:30pm and there were still kids running around in the big open area by the pool. We were asked to pull around the back to the executive parking area which was nice and secluded. We normally pull a 32' trailer which is always a consideration when traveling - we would have had a long walk since there would have been no trailer parking in that area-plenty of room a bit farther out though. The executive wing had the doors locked at all times which required keycard entry which was wonderful to keep the screaming kids out of that wing. The room, while of course not brand new, was pleasant. The carpet looked fairly new and the bed/sheets were very clean. The room did have a bit of a musty smell but not overwhelming. The bed had 5 of the square pillows which were very comfortable. The bathroom was aged but clean with good water pressure. They had removed a towel bar and had not patched the holes or wallpaper. Promptly at 1am, the fire alarm was pulled... darn lounge. Calling the front desk, we were informed that a drunk had pulled the alarm - no kidding... The breakfast buffet was pretty good, all things considered. Hot hash browns, waffles, pancakes, biscuits & gravy along with cereal, fruit and yogurt. In checking out, the desk clerk was pretty blah. No "good morning"... no "how was your stay"... just "would you like to keep the charge on your card "and "would you like the receipt". We will stay at the Comfort Suites going forward.

• Liked — $54.10 weekend rate including taxes
  • Disliked — Fire alarm at 1am.
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2008

Let me start by saying Nicole at the front desk and night crew were great!. I booked the hotel, because of the heated pool and exercise room, and was very dissappointed. The pool is kept at 81 degrees and the manager said it was too expensive to keep it any warmer. There were never towels at the pool, and when I asked why, I was told that children tend to use 2 or 3 at a time, so they don't leave them out there. Therefore, we had to use our room towels. When we tried to replace them, the front desk had no way of getting any, until the morning cleaning crew came in. The cleaning crew was willing to give us what we needed, however, they did not speak English well, and sometimes you would have to wait several hours, before you could find them or talk to them. (I felt like the front desk should have been able to do this for us, not us have to track them down.) The exercise room had no towels, and the machines were very dirty and dated. The bathroom door didn't close in our room and there were holes in the wall from the remodel, (where the towel racks were moved.) On a positive note, the breakfast was very good and the king bed was comfortable. The "executive hall" did smell very musty though.

• Liked — the breakfast
  • Disliked — the pool
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Nashville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2008

This place is terrible. Better to stay in your car than to stay here. We stayed here on April 17, 2008 in the Executive Wing and bathroom was filthy, bedsheet smelled like smoke, very damp/mildew, and there was bugs in the room. I don't recommend this place. Avoid this place if you could.

• Liked — High Speed Internet
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wise, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2008

While my stay at the Garden Hotel was ok, (the lobby is beautiful, but the rooms were pretty worn), 5 months after I stayed, I got a bill from my credit card company saying I had stayed another night the last of November! It wasn't even the credit card I paid with, it was the credit card I had held the room with. I've been a month disputing this claim, and the staff has been uncooperative. I will never stay there again. This is the first time this has ever happened to me, and I hope it's the last.

Stayed June 2007
Nashville, TN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2007

Room was in disrepair, front desk staff was unfriendly during check-in, check-out and requests for common items such as a pool towel, matches, etc. Appears they are cutting corners since dropping the Holiday Inn name. Wet floors everywhere around the common areas, would be a good place to fall and hurt yourself.

• Liked — Was relatively well priced, close to restaurants
  • Disliked — Pitiful service and obvious lack of interest in maintaining the property
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Franklin, Tn
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2007

What and awful weekend!!! This place is a dump. Hoiliday Inn got the best of this and then sold it to a bunch of Patels....They were very wierd and very rude. They way a couple of them look at me I thought they were trying to read my mind or steal my soul.
I stayed there with my sons ball team. 5 families wouldn't even stay the first night. The rooms were damp and the ceilings had mold on them. When we booked the rooms they also failed to mention that the pool was closed. The pool was very important to us with a bunch of 6 year olds...The breakfast was also a joke, it included two types of muffins, cheerios, but had all kinds of toast...Just another reason why I should not stay at an indian run hotel.

• Stayed July 2007
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2007

We stayed here 3 years ago when it was a Holiday Inn. It is now called the Garden Hotel. It has a nice lobby, but that is as far as it goes. The rooms were outdated and a little dirty. The bath tub would not drain. The staff was rather strange. I don't think any of them spoke English, which made things a little difficult. This hotel has really gone down hill in the last 3 years. We wouldn't stay here again.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — outdated and dirty
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Clarion Inn? Share your experiences!