“Decently updated” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Inn

You added Clarion Inn to your Saves list
Clarion Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   970 South Jefferson Avenue, Cookeville, TN 38501 (Formerly Garden Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Cookeville
Mussoorie, India
“Decently updated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

This is one of those many hotels around the country that was built at a time when the hotel industry was very different. We didn't have as many electric gadgets that joined us in the hotel room, and our needs were a bit less, but you don't tear down entire hotels because of a little age.

So across the country many hotels are getting make overs. New paint, new carpet, new outlets and for some it works, for others not so much. This hotel has a coating of new over the old, but it does succeed. No it doesn't feel new, but it feels cleaned up and given a new life.

The pool is nice and had both an indoor and outdoor area. There is a small slide that doesn't feel so small when you go down it with the turns it makes. The hot tub was small, but clean and hot with all the jets shooting. The downside is there is a vast empty spot in the middle that has a scattering of video games, but it feels like an after thought.

The breakfast was a bit of a let down. The syrup was not syrup but called "pancake topping" or something equally deceptive, but its taste was gross, and its sad that they trying to save a few bucks on syrup. But the same holds true for the tea which was some unknown brand and was the bottom dweller of the tea world. We didn't see our waitress really, but the rest of the food was rather yummy. The service at breakfast and the lousy tea and inedible syrup (any by extension pancakes and waffles) was sad.

There is a bar/lounge attached. It was karaoke night and I went early and there was a handful of people who seemed to know each other. And the price for a drink didn't hurt the pocket.

It worth the stop if you are in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Ephraem S, General Manager at Clarion Inn, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
We thank you for taking the time to write a review, it is appreciated. My staff and I strive to make your stay a pleasurable one and will use your comments, especially those referring to breakfast as a training tool towards this end.
Again we thank you for your comments and look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Orlando
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

From the first front desk girl who didn't give us proper directions, this Clarion disappoints in every way. We dragged all our luggage around the entire place outside, upstairs (there are NO elevators unless you are in "Executive Suite" area) to find our room opened right to the parking lot. We returned to say we didn't feel safe and wanted a room with a door to an interior hallway. So she gave us an "Executive Suite" area room-it was awful but we had to stay there for a family event. Every time we came back to the "Executive Suite" area there was an outside door to the parking lot for you to swipe your room key for "safety" which was useless since lock was broken & it was open day & night with no need to swipe your room card, anyone could get in. So much for safety!
If you get a room with a door to the interior playground/ pool/restaurant area, be ready to hear screaming kids in the pool/play area all day.
The free buffet breakfast was inedible and horrible looking. We wouldn't even eat it for free. We just went to the many breakfast shops all around the area.
With all the competing hotel chains right nearby, I can't recommend anyone staying here.

Room Tip: Book in "Executive Suite" unless you want a motel room off parking lot
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Ephraem S, General Manager at Clarion Inn, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, it is appreciated. We apologize for the inconvenience you described.
This Hotel has exterior and interior corridor rooms, if a guest is not satisfied with the location of their room our front desk will move them to a location of their liking.
There is an indoor pool with a water slide which many guest enjoy and children being children would express themselves splashing, screaming as children do.
We respect your views on our breakfast and security and while we do not agree with them we have addressed these issues with the personnel concerned.
Being in the hospitality industry we aim to satisfy all our guest regardless of their unique demands and expectations, we apologize for what you coined a disappointing stay. I extend an invitation to you to return as my guest so that we could ensure that your perception of our brand and hotel will be changed.
Cameron Park, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Outdoor pool had not opened for the season yet but we had a great time at the indoor pool and slide. Very nice hot tub also. Staff was super helpful. I did laundry there and provided the soap! Breakfast was incredible--a full on hot breakfast buffet that would rival any restaurant.
Rooms were clean quiet and comfortable.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
We thank you for taking the time to write these comments, my staff and I are appreciative.
Sparta,Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We were there New years Eve 2012, and 2010. Great fun and dancing ot the sports bar next door. Heated pool fun for our son and us till 10pm. Indoors is perfect in winter and in summer you can even swim outside! Met lots of great people at hot tub as well. Beds were comfortable. Room was clean and we will always return if they keep it affordable.

Room Tip: we always get a room near the pool cause we love meeting new people.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Charlottesville, Virginia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I got there about 9:45pm or so, checked in and it took a while. I was sent to a secure parking area, but not one space left, so I had to find alternative space, the area was obviously dangerous. I was unpacking my car and moving stuff around, very tired and really not watching my back. A "good Samaritan" had been though, he actually saved me from being mugged. He saw the 4 guys watching me and had already (before I got there) had become suspicious of them, and stayed outside to watch after me. (He had stepped outside to smoke a cigarette) He was the only thing between me being mugged & safety. I did notice they had a club onsite, which was drawing a hard core crowd. And I did notice strange cars flying by in the parking area, which is not a good sign. I noticed that when walking my dog. I hope I am getting the point across, there are safer places to stay, this is not one of them. I did not get the room I asked for, they did not have a remote control for the tv, and also I had to stay in smoking room,which I hate. Good luck if you stay here. Safety and security rate high with me, and felt neither.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Oak Ridge, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed at this hotel...it was lovely. The personnel were wonderful especially Tiara. This hotel had an area for adults and one for children. The pool was nice and it had a restaurant, bar, exercise room and computer room. We were there for a weekend and I would have loved to stay much longer.

Room Tip: Get a non smoking room with the window looking out at the pool.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Ephraem S, General Manager at Clarion Inn, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
My staff and I thank you for your review, we strive to please our guest and are appreciative of your comments. Again, thank you and come see us again soon.
TN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We planned some outdoor activities in the area (hiking, geocaching, and after our stay we were headed backcountry camping at Fall Creek Falls) and just needed an inexpensive place to rest, shower, and store gear while we were out enjoying nature - we did not plan to spend much time at the hotel...
The hotel is a challenge to get in and out of - most of the parking is around the back with a one-lane path to get there. We were there during some sort of weekend wrestling tournament and it was very crowded - we could not park anywhere near our room. The hotel had no cart so we made many trips from the car (since we had out camping gear for later). The room smelled very foul and the ice bucket had mold growing in it. The bed linens were stained and dirty - with hair on them. The exercise room is not well maintained or accessible. We had to obtain a key fro the front desk - which did not work. So we had to be escorted by hotel staff to the fitness room through the "business center" where we discovered it was only a few machines in a stuffy small room and neither of the treadmills were actually working. The pool was nice with a slide - smaller than the photo would make it appear. We had to wait 30 minutes one morning for them to open it up - it is gated and locked. We attempted the breakfast buffet one morning but there was very little food left (recall the hotel was pretty crowded that weekend), no forks, no clean tables, and we had to ask for plates. We managed to get a waffle, one container of yogurt, and some warmed up sausage patties (no eggs left, no toast, no pastries, no bacon). Several times when we returned to the room, our room keys would not work (and yes, we were very careful not to put them near something that would erase the data on the magnetic strip). It seems many others had the same problem because there was always a LONG line of people also replacing room keys.
We were not expecting a lot for an inexpensive hotel option and did not spend much time around the hotel - even so, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
We appreciate you review although it is extreamly exaggerated, for prospective guest kindly acknowledge that in the business of hospitality is would be difficult to please all the people all the time but we try. Please have an open disposition and view other comments as well. We welcome you and the challenge would be to live up to your expectations. Come see for yourself.

Been to Clarion Inn? Share your experiences!