“They tried to rip me off!!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Inn

You added Clarion Inn to your Saves list
Clarion Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   970 South Jefferson Avenue, Cookeville, TN 38501 (Formerly Garden Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Cookeville
El Segundo, California
“They tried to rip me off!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

My family and I were in town for a funeral and chose this hotel not knowing any better. I used my hotel reward points for a free night. They needed to have my credit card number just in case something was stolen or broken, which is typical. A few weeks later my credit card bill comes and I have a charge on it from this hotel for $30. We left the room just like we found it, nothing broken or stolen. I called the hotel about the charge and they just gave me the run-around. I eventually had to file a dispute against the charge with my credit card company and they got it resolved. Despite charging me $30 for a room that was supposed to be 'free', the room was musty, a/c didn't work correctly, and there was hair all over the bathroom. I will never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Cookeville has very few attractions for tourists but it is the largest city between Nashville and Knoxville on I-40 and makes a good stopping point for the leisure traveler. The Clarion offers a good value for someone looking for a comfortable room and some amenities. They include an indoor-outdoor pool, small fitness center, sports lounge, restaurant, and large atrium. Rooms include free wi-fi and mini-fridge, microwave, hair dryer, coffemaker and flat screen TV with cable.

The pool is a must when I travel with my daughter and this one was a good size but somewhat chilly. There is also a hot tub on a timer, and the pool has a slide my daughter seemed to enjoy. There was a tweenage birthday party in progress so the pool was quite full but still usable.

Rooms are small and on the motel plan on one side of the atrium. Larger 'executive' rooms with interior corridors are on the other side of the atrium. Our room was a smaller room opening on to the atrium. It was clean had comfortable beds but the bathroom had a small amount of mold on the ceiling, perhaps due to the lack of an exhaust fan. Front desk staff was helpful and friendly. The breakfast buffet is a modest charge in a large restaurant open to the atrium.

A little paint could go a long way here, particularly on the exterior doors to the rooms. This property was once a Marriott or perhaps a Holidome and has already seen it's best years. But the only problems we encountered were with poorly supervised tweens who banged on our door for amusement until the front desk put a stop to it.

Room Tip: If sleep is a priority, choose a room on the north side with an outside entrance away from the inter...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

I booked a room here for a slumber party for my daughters 5th birthday. I asked for a double room suite with 2 queen beds and a pull out sofa. I was told it would be a $15 up charge from a regular room. Upon checking in, (with 5 little girls in tow) I was told they did not even have rooms like that. We were put into an "executive" room with 2 queen beds. The desk attendant did not seem to care at all that I was told about & booked for a room that didn't even exist. Upon looking at the other rooms in passing I realized the room I was charged extra for was actually no different than a regular room. In fact, it was smaller! We also left some belongings behind in the room. When I called I was put on hold and never picked up. I called back the next day and wa told the room would be checked and was promised a call back by 7 pm. I never received a call back. I drove back to the hotel the next weekend. The desk clerk gave me a key to the room and told me to go check myself. The items were gone and I was told by the girl at the desk, "sorry, I don't know what to tell you." The pool is nice with a slide for kids, but be prepared for horrible service!

• Stayed October 2012
Port of Spain, Trinidad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Having booked my reservations in advance I anticipated a warm and courteous environment. This due to pleasant personality of Misty the sales director who answered all my concerns without hesitation. The staff lived up to my expectations as they provided exceptional service.The manager took time off from his busy schedule to interact with guest and even sitting down with us for breakfast and engaging us in delightful discourse. The facilities, especially my room was well maintained daily, leaving little room for complain. I will definitely be returning.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Martinsburg, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

great front desk service from Tiara, kids play area should close earlier than 10pm
I did not get the chance to visit spa,pool,internet, or exercise area but i did observe them
during my stay and found them to be inviting but i did not have time to enjoy them personally

Room Tip: dont get room near kids play area
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

We traveled to Cookeville this past weekend for a softball tournament. Our team chose this hotel but we will not make that mistake again next trip.
I will point out positives first:
The room was clean and beds comfortable. (The furniture under negatives).
The parking was easy and plentiful.
We did not use the pool but it looked nice and several games around the pool area.
The breakfast was decent one of the mornings. Thankfully it was included in our room (not worth $5).

Negatives:
The furniture was stained...not slightly but several stains.
We were constantly locked out of our room. I am stunned with this part. One night I stood in line at 11pm along with several other guest to get new keys. The worst part was the next morning I snuck out of the room to get a cup of coffee while my family slept in only to have to wake them b/c my new key did not work!
The last negative was the staff at this hotel. I would normally never call out a specific person but this time I have to. At breakfast our last morning there was a young woman clearing plates. She came to our table several times and once even tried to give me 3 free breakfast coupons. I informed her that our breakfast was included so not needed. She said "Shhh don't tell anyone I just got these and I don't want them...just give them to someone else". My teenage daughter just stared at her and I left the coupons untouched on the table. My daughter said oh my gosh did she steal those? I said I don't know but don't touch them we don't need them. The lady then came back over and asked for our room number. She did not ask anyone else around us or on our team. To the manager of this hotel, I would recommend you speak to this young woman as she is a reflection of your company.
We had issues with the front desk staff with the room keys.

This is a cheap hotel so if you are just looking for a cleanish room and no other expectations then this is fine. Otherwise pay a little more for the overall.

• Stayed October 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

Kim provided me excellent service.she was very kind and corteous,considerate of my needs.the hotel rooms were very clean,the lobby was very well maintained.all the employees were very corteous and polite.

• Stayed September 2012

Been to Clarion Inn? Share your experiences!