“Typical Fairfield Inn” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Cookeville
South Riding, Virginia, United States
“Typical Fairfield Inn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

While I can't say there was anything truly outstanding about this property, it was clean, well-maintained, and the staff was completely friendly and responsive. The breakfast bar attendant in particular seemed proud of her little domain and kept the food replenished the moment something was taken. The front desk staff was welcoming and helpful about recommending restaurants, and seemed ready to help in any way. There are MANY restaurants within a half mile of this property (Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Chili's, Applebee's, Logan's Roadhouse, Outback, etc.) so it's a very convenient place to stay. If you're looking for a pleasant place to stay while traveling, I think this property will meet your needs!

Room Tip: Since it's not right on the interstate, noise isn't a particular problem. We like the top f...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

This hotel is a fairly new Fairfield Inn which has nice generic contemporary appointments. . . kind of like every other FI built in the last 5 years. It's a good enough place to stay if you are on the road. However, this property is operated by local ownership and I don't think they understand what it takes to run a hotel properly. The night we checked in, the hotel was booked up and understaffed with one person intermittently at the front desk. After checking in, we found that our toilet was backed up, upon checking with the front desk, my wife was given an excrement-encrusted plunger in a wet plastic bag to solve the problem, which we did and were grateful for a working toilet if not so much for the solution.

The next morning, when everybody got up, it overloaded the breakers and the power went out to half of the building. What this meant was that half of the circuits in each room were out and alternating floor hallway lighting was out as well as the elevator. The big concern was that the emergency lighting in one of the stairwells failed, leaving it dark. Luckily, shuttling all of your family's luggage down from the top floor really isn't an emergency, just an inconvenience. However, as an architect that has worked on other Marriott properties, I was shocked to see such a failure knowing the safeguards that Marriott has in place. It seems that there are other options in the area and if we come this way again, will probably try them instead.

As a side note, unless you are a big fan of queuing up at the microwave for Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches, you aren't going to find much to like about the breakfast buffet. It is probably the most meager I've seen at a recent Marriott property.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
MarriottCookeville, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Cookeville, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay at Fairfield Inn & Suites Cookeville. Please know that we take each of our guests’ comments and suggestions very seriously.

First let me apologize that you had to bring down family and luggage during the power outage this past weekend. We learned the power grid on the South side of I-40 went down due to an animal in the transformer. All the hotel properties on our side of the interstate experienced the same brown out. Second I want to assure you that every measure has been taken with our security lighting to make sure it is working & meets Marriott standards. Those are part of the monthly testing, but we appreciate you for bringing it to our attention this weekend.

We look forward to the Spring when Marriott is upgrading the Fairfield breakfast standards. So along with our current breafast items we look forward to offering hot items like scrambled eggs and sausage.

We apologize sincerely that you had any service issues during your stay. I certainly hope that you will stay with us again during your next visit to Cookeville and please feel free to contact me personally for any of your lodging needs.

Cookeville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

I'm a Platinum level Marriott member so I spend a lot of time in Fairfield Inn hotels all over the midwest and the Cookeville facility is one of the best! Very clean and excellent service from the front desk, housekeeping and breakfast. Absolutly top notch.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your recent stay at Fairfield Inn & Suites Cookeville. We Love Our Platinum members! Thanks for the great feedback. I will share it with the Cookeville crew.

Please feel free to contact me personally for any of your lodging needs.

Crossville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Just stayed here Fri. night. This is the third time staying here and didn't have any issues until this time. Made my reservation last Mon. evening, called direct to the hotel because the Marriott web site only listed King rooms or Queen suites. Since there were two women traveling togather we wanted two beds. The phone was answered-Fairfield Inn Cookeville, and I asked about a room for Fri. night. I was told the same thing listed on the web site. I reserved a Queen suite. When we arrived at the hotel there was a family checking in, the desk clerk could not find their reservations and suggested they had been on the wrong web site when they made them. When it was my turn to check in he couldn't find my reservation and suggested the same thing. They had a two queen room so everything worked out fine. Later I thought about it and checked the history on my cell. Redialed the number where I made the reservations, again answered Fairfield Inn Cookeville. I asked if this was the hotel across from Sam's Club just to be sure there wasn't a second one in town. In the morning I questioned the daytime desk clerk but they didn't know anything about reservation mix-up. Said nothing was relayed to them. Since there is a La Quinta on one side and a Holiday Inn on the other side of this hotel I think next year I'll stay in one of them. Have to say the hotel is decent and clean about a middle of the road Fairfield Inn compared to the others I have stayed in.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

We apologize that you had any trouble with reservations and room type. We normally do a great job at getting our guests in the rooms they request. I know the night you were with us was a sold out night, but we hate that you did not get the room you reserved.

Karla Clarke
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

This Fairfield it was in a great location, very clean, and very modern. I was pleased at how new the accommodations were. The staff at the front desk was friendly but it did not seem to matter if you are a Marriott platinum member or not. They did not acknowledge me as a platinum member upon check-in and when I called for a late checkout they told
me they can only do 1:30 PM. Platinum members always get a later check out and I should not have had to explain this to them. Overall a great Fairfield Inn and I would recommend it to others.

• Stayed October 2012
Thanks for posting your review of Fairfield Marriott Cookeville. And most expecially thanks for staying with us in Cookevillle. We love our Platinums! And apologize that you were not acknowledged on check in. We have some new associates, and will redirect this issue with your feedback.

Please come back soon, we look forward to serving you in the future.

Dallas, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

If you're used to full service Marriott properties this isn't it. This property my second choice when I stay in Cookeville. I've stayed here a few times and the rooms range from petite to average sized. It's clean. The beds are a little harder than at a normal Marriott. Sometimes they are working in the parking lot across the street so it can be a little loud at night. The hotel has a breakfast buffet in the morning that has all the usual carb selections (cereal, donuts, waffles). There are a lot of food choices within half-a-mile. They don't sell Coke products on the property, but there's a gas station close by if that's an issue, like it is for me.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
First, thanks for staying with us when you are in Cookeville. We strive to be your first choice of accomodations in Cookeville. We look forward to the new Marriott Breakfast enhancement program for Fairfields this Spring. That will add hot scrambled eggs and sausage and ham to our menu. And Marriott has a few more healthier surprises in the works also.

We appreciate your comments and will share them with the associates here. We invite you back to stay with us anytime you are visiting Cookevillle.

Carterville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

The room was clean, the bed comfortable and the people friendly. The desk clerk was especially helpful when asked about places to shop, visit and eat.
There are lots of hotels in the area, plus a nice flea market and a few antique stores.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple