“Great BBQ in a run down Place” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #63 of 321 Restaurants in Clarksville
Cuisines: Barbecue
“Great BBQ in a run down Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012 via mobile

Guy who rated the old shack excel food marginal is deeply deeply deeply delusional!!! Now excels place yep it's tore up. But Marginal on there BBQ "Please" they have exceptional bbq believe that! Yes if you look at the place you would not stop here. Which comes to this comment. Owners spend the money and fix it up.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Nashville, Tennessee
“Simply the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

If you're looking for straight-up pulled pork BBQ, this is the place to go. It's the classic "hole in the wall" where you wonder if it's safe to go inside, but I promise you be well rewarded for the perceived risk. Driving by with your windows down on a "cook" day is intoxicating - the smoke pours out of the smokehouse and perfumes the whole area. We've tried a few other BBQ places in the area, but keep going back to Excell.

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Best darn BBQ EVER!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012 via mobile

We live in Wisconsin and just came from a week of being in North Carolina and I have to say this was the BEST BBQ I had all week! It is inside a gas station so don't let that scare you off! People are friendly and helpful! The smell when you pull up is sooo great...smoky and mouthwatering! I believe it is only the weekends though and when they are out they are out so try and get there early! I wish Wisconsin had BBQ like this! Next time I drive through you can bet I will stop again!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Clarksville, Tennessee
“Great BBQ!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

Definitely not fancy, but the Q is awesome! I get mine piled high on a bun with slaw and onions. I ask for a little dunk-cup of the home-made hot sauce on the side so I can modify it to my liking (and, boy, do I like it)! I also get a lb. of BBQ to go and keep it in the freezer at home for emergencies.

Visited May 2012
travelpro123
“Keeps me wondering”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

If it wouldn’t have been for the positive reviews on TA I would never have set foot in this establishment. From the outside the place is a rundown, window-less, wooden building serving as a convenience store, gas station and BBQ place. Such ramshackle places are rare to find these days, even in remote, impoverished rural America. Inside it has the old food preparation area in the back, and out of politeness I refrain from commenting on cleanliness, décor or the like. The girl who took my order was very friendly, however. The pulled pork is marginal at best, I actually cannot remember having worse, the coleslaw was good, and the baked beans are straight out of a can. There are some wooden benches outside but you don’t want to eat your food there since the myriads of flies will try to get a share of the dish. (They seem to like the food). Definitely no need for a detour, no need to stop.

• Visited May 2012