“Simply the best” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch
Nashville, Tennessee
“Simply the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

If you're looking for straight-up pulled pork BBQ, this is the place to go. It's the classic "hole in the wall" where you wonder if it's safe to go inside, but I promise you be well rewarded for the perceived risk. Driving by with your windows down on a "cook" day is intoxicating - the smoke pours out of the smokehouse and perfumes the whole area. We've tried a few other BBQ places in the area, but keep going back to Excell.

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Best darn BBQ EVER!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

We live in Wisconsin and just came from a week of being in North Carolina and I have to say this was the BEST BBQ I had all week! It is inside a gas station so don't let that scare you off! People are friendly and helpful! The smell when you pull up is sooo great...smoky and mouthwatering! I believe it is only the weekends though and when they are out they are out so try and get there early! I wish Wisconsin had BBQ like this! Next time I drive through you can bet I will stop again!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Clarksville, Tennessee
“Great BBQ!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

Definitely not fancy, but the Q is awesome! I get mine piled high on a bun with slaw and onions. I ask for a little dunk-cup of the home-made hot sauce on the side so I can modify it to my liking (and, boy, do I like it)! I also get a lb. of BBQ to go and keep it in the freezer at home for emergencies.

Visited May 2012
travelpro123
“Keeps me wondering”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

If it wouldn’t have been for the positive reviews on TA I would never have set foot in this establishment. From the outside the place is a rundown, window-less, wooden building serving as a convenience store, gas station and BBQ place. Such ramshackle places are rare to find these days, even in remote, impoverished rural America. Inside it has the old food preparation area in the back, and out of politeness I refrain from commenting on cleanliness, décor or the like. The girl who took my order was very friendly, however. The pulled pork is marginal at best, I actually cannot remember having worse, the coleslaw was good, and the baked beans are straight out of a can. There are some wooden benches outside but you don’t want to eat your food there since the myriads of flies will try to get a share of the dish. (They seem to like the food). Definitely no need for a detour, no need to stop.

• Visited May 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Key West
“A fun experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

I guess after all the glowing reviews it would have been hard to live up to our expectations. Everything was fine and the prices are amazing. I just don't know if I would travel far to get it. The pulled pork was very, very good and you get a LOT of it in the styrofoam container. I told my husband later when we were eating at the hotel that we should have split one. Then I noticed he had almost finished his. I was snacking on mine for the next 2 days. The sides were large, but nothing special. I found the cornbread very disappointing as I was really looking forward to it. I wanted to get a slice of pie, but resisted. All the pies looked great. Overall, for just over $5 per person you get an incredible amount of pork, 2 sides and bread in a unique and unpretentious setting. It was fun to make the trip and experience it once.

• Visited May 2012