“SHAMEFUL - DON'T STAY UNLESS NO OTHER CHOICE! CHECK THE ROOM 1ST” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Gateway Inn and Suites

You added Gateway Inn and Suites to your Saves list
Gateway Inn and Suites
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   250 Holiday Road, Clarksville, TN 37040 (Formerly Executive Inn)   |
Ranked #32 of 36 Hotels in Clarksville
blue mountains
“SHAMEFUL - DON'T STAY UNLESS NO OTHER CHOICE! CHECK THE ROOM 1ST”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

We travelled across the country, coast to coast in March 2011, stopping in Clarksville late at night. One tip - unless you're super familiar with a town, stop before dark, drive around the area and then make your decision. The other Best Western hotels we've stayed at have ranged from pretty good to fabulous (fab in Ogden Utah), so thought we'd be okay. Stopped at the desk and found out the price was Cheap Cheap. Hmmm...should have been a clue..but the front desk girl was so very sweet we decided to book it. Got to the room and it was obvious that, 1) Either no one had stayed here for a very long time, i.e., very dusty... or... 2) The cleaning staff came in and pulled the bedding up over the sheets and that's it. Well we found out the answer is: #2 - There was left over balls of toothpaste in the sink; toothpaste splatters on the mirror and, well, all other indications of inhabitation. We pulled the comforter off (completely, as is our habit) then the blanket and discovered human hair all over the sheets. We immediately called the front desk and were 'upgraded' to a king suite to appease our disgust. Checked into the Suite -which is super large, but very 60s, and again - Not So Clean. No signs of life, but was still dusty and in disrepair. We stayed the night and tried to pretend we were camping, which we love. The place really is SHAMEFUL. I'm hesitant to give this hotel any 5 star rating, but due to their choice of employee, I have to give 5 for Service. I hope the nice girl that was on duty that night has moved on to a property deserving of her hospitality.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
GatewaySuites, Front Office Manager at Gateway Inn and Suites, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Thank you for choosing Gateway Inn & Suites for your recent stay. Thank you also for taking the time to fill out a guest review. It is these reviews that help us to be sure that the standards which we wish to maintain are upheld. I hope that the next time you are in our area you will choose to stay at the Gateway Inn & Suites, I think you will be greatly pleased. Sincerely, Management.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Davenport, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

Well, the keyboard is still filthy. The room was fine. Bath also. The staff: great. However, the breakfast bar was totally inadequate. When I got there, the coffee was gone. There was a man, said he was the owner or manager, who I asked about the coffee and he directed me to go to the kitchen (I had no idea where it was) and tell someone to make more coffee. I looked at him, and he realized that was not the way to do things. The variety was okay, but there was not much there and there was no hot food unless you count oatmeal or toasting bread or bagels. These days they can get egg and sausage wraps to heat up in the microwave that suffice really well, if you are short of staff. Anyway, the front desk clerk was also the (cook). And she was running ragged. Not a good way to run things at all.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011 via mobile

This hotel was disgusting! The 1st floor room smelled like a wet dog rolled around the room. The sheets had tears and stains as the blankets looked as if they were worn into by a homeless person. The shower had foot stains and the soap holder was slightly off. Spiders crept around the bed and I used my hand as a pillow in fear that the pillows were not clean which also had stains. Unfortunately the other hotels in the area were booked. I felt dirty after taking a shower. If you want cleanliness, comfort, value and safety, this hotel lacks all of it. It's not worth the money.

• Stayed June 2011
Montgomery, AL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

This Best Western is outdated. The computer, keyboard, and mouse was filthy, which was located in the lobby!!! The bed had springs prodding me all night long. The furniture was dilapidated. The mini-couch had a stretched out slip cover on it. I would not dare lift up that slip cover. My husband sat on it and almost sunk to the floor. The bath towels had seen their days. The rooms are not Wi Fi, you have to get a cable from the office. The cable connection is across the room from the desk area. I mentioned these discrepancies and was immediately told that the owner has no intent on updating this hotel. They called our room a suite, but it was an oversized room. I can't fault the girls working the front desk, they are victims of the situation. We moved to the Wyngate Hotel a block down - wow what a difference and we only paid $5.00 more. This was like going from a run down shack to a well maintained house.

I have been a Best Western member for years and have noticed a steady decline of Best Western Hotels. I called the Best Western Headquarters and was told the hotels are independently owned, therefore there is not much they can do about it. I recently stayed at a Quality Inn - it was far better than the last two Best Western Hotels.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Springfield, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

We stayed 2 nights- 3 suites- the furniture has tears ,dirty and needs replacing the shower has cracks in the walls and been badly patched with caulk, the sink had cracks and really worn out. The personnel were friendly and courteous. The place has really gone downhill in the past 4 years. This was not our first stay but will be the last.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Madison, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

Everyone is right about how wonderful the staff is. But come on Best Western... You’re in the business of SLEEP... You have the cheapest lowest grade mattress money can buy. Your furniture is outdated and worn, and defiantly needs to be updated. You can feel the springs move and make noise as you move positions. If you want a clean hotel and staff with million dollar smiles and nice location, but with an outdated mattress that would be your Chiropractors biggest nightmare... Then this is the place for you.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2009

I stayed here at a very busy time in Clarksville for my husband's return to the United States from a deployment. There was also a convention at the time and available hotel rooms were limited.

The Good: The room was MUCH cheaper than where I usually stay in Clarksville (Hampton Inn/Holiday Inn Express), and the room was MUCH larger. There are cheaper rates online and I was automatically upgraded to a king suite when I checked in. All of the rooms in this hotel are junior or king suites. This room would be great for a family traveling together, as there is a living area for children to play & could watch TV on their own while parents watched something else. Additionally, it had a kitchenette area with a countertop, microwave, fridge and I think it may have had a sink (I can't remember 100% at the moment, I didn't use it). Everything else about the room was standard, in my opinion.

The Not-So-Good: You need a cord to connect to the internet, but can get it from the front desk. Appliances are older, but working. The room smelled like it might have been a smoking room in the past, but it didn't really bother me. It has outside corridors, but that is true for almost all the hotels/motels in Clarksville.

Overall, I would recommend this for a no-frills room. It was safe and quiet, but not too fancy.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo

Been to Gateway Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!