“Good stay, but room for improvement” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Read House Historic Inn And Suites

You added The Read House Historic Inn And Suites to your Saves list
The Read House Historic Inn And Suites
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   827 Broad Street, Chattanooga, TN 37402 (Formerly Sheraton Read House)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #33 of 98 Hotels in Chattanooga
Tallahassee, FL
“Good stay, but room for improvement”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

Most of the experience was good--the beds/pillows were fantastic, flat screen TV, heavy curtains, rooms/lobby/bathroom were very clean, nice indoor pool/hot tub, exercise room, shuttle service out front, "free" valet parking...however...

Here were some of the drawbacks--$15/day parking (but "free" valet), our rooms were not cleaned until 2pm or so each day (which affected our 3-yr-olds naptime), the room was a little noisy (but we always bring a sound machine, so it wasn't that bad), there was no mini-fridge, the location of the hotel is right on the "edge" of the nice part of town. Expect some panhandlers and some "unwashed" types in the neighborhood and on the shuttles. If this puts you off in a big way, get closer to the river--like where you can walk to the aquarium.

We got these rooms for $71/night on Hotwire and were fairly pleased (late maid service was our biggest complaint), $86 if you include parking. Overall a very good deal.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

My spouse and I took a trip to Chattanooga in the early spring to do some business nearby and the Read House was our choice of hotel. I had read mixed reviews at the time so I was not expecting anything great until we got there and I was impressed.

I usually like more modern hotels but this hotel was quite charming. It is very big and has a LOT of history. Upon arrival we pulled up to the valet, they were all very nice and helpful each time we pulled in. They brought our luggage to the room, and I asked a lot of questions which they pleasantly answered. The fee didn’t bother us, we were after the convenience but I could see how it could catch some people off guard. We were only at the hotel for 3 nights and had some type of junior suite, which had a sitting area with TV, and an amazingly soft bed with a flat panel TV. Yes, you could tell the room is older but renovated which was fine. The bathroom was a nice size but like others may have mentioned, the sinks are pedestal and really no place to put your toiletries. I used the desk right outside the bathroom to keep mine, we were only there 3 nights so it didn’t bother me too much. There is a huge Starbucks in the hotel where I got my coffee and snack every morning, the biggest one I’ve seen and we used our computer there. That is a plus. Pool area is nice, hot tub is big but super hot or strong jets but its somewhere to relax (depends on when though – one night it was quiet and the next night there were kids up late and doing cannonballs into it while their parents chatted on cell phones and ignored them.) Also, they were just benches around the pool, loungers would’ve been a little better but maybe that’s different in the summer months. The gym looks nice with newer equipment. Didn’t get to the restaurant, heard food was good but pricey.

The location of the hotel is great, you could see the aquarium and the riverfront from outside the hotel, it’s a couple of blocks away. There is a free electric trolley to take you around, just check the times it retires for the night. I think it was 11pm when we were there, and if we stayed out later we walked back. There are plenty of good places to eat in the area (including a large brewery with pool tables!), just walk toward the river, rather than the other side of the hotel, that we were told is not the greatest area. Unfortunately we couldn’t do much sightseeing during this trip but I heard good things about the local attractions like the aquarium.

Our experience at this hotel was overall very good, for the limited time we had. I would suggest to do some research on its history BEFORE you go. I wish I did more instead of waiting until I got back, I would’ve appreciated it more. The gentleman at the front desk gave me a sheet with some of the history which was interesting, but you could find the jucier stuff online. Walk by the “ghost room”, we never got there but no one is allowed to stay in it due to the paranormal activity. A fellow guest reminded us of it in the elevator and we were leaving and realized we never walked by! After the trip I had found a few articles online on who they think the “ghost” could be and events that had occurred in that room. Check it out!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

Before my stay I read both postive and negative reviews. I wish I had taken their advice. The lobby of this hotel may be old & beautiful but I found it dark and uninviting. The person (male?female?) who checked us in should have been my tip-off to what was to come. The room we had reserved well in advance was not available when we arrived for check-in. We were given another somewhat larger room but instead of the queen bed we were promised the rest of our party ended up sleeping on an (old) fold out sofa bed. Not ideal, even for children. And we were provided the sorriest excuse for pillows I'd ever seen. Obviously very old and needed to be replaced.The pool area smelled so strongly of chorline it was overwhelming and the hot tub appeared dingy and yellow. Pretty disgusting in appearance. The workout area looked nice and the sad part is these public facilities and bathrooms were nicer than what was found in our room :( As everyone else has stated, parking is valet only @ $15 bucks a day. Though I wasn't fond of paying that rate these guys were the friendly and hard working, eager to please.
I do not feel the hotel was in walking distance of the area attractions. Porters was wildly expensive so we did not try them but used Starbucks on occasion. I could NOT recommend this hotel to anyone, especially families with small children as I felt everything was old, germy and needed updating. I would personally recommond Hilton Garden Inn and would have stayed there but sadly they were sold out this weekend. Also convenient would be Residence Inn, Courtyard & Doubletree. Even if their room rates are a little more than the other guys, you'll appreciate the locale and offerings. I will not stay in this hotel again and probably would not give Sheraton at try at any other travel desination.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Birmingham,Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

I stayed in this hotel July 28- August 1. i traveled with my mom and my 5 year old daughter and 3 year old son. The lobby is very beautiful and the staff was very helpful. The valet guys were nice and bring your luggage to your room for you. My only complaint is that parking is 15 dollars a day, and you pretty much have to use valet unless you can use one of the very few parking meters in front of the hotel. The shuttle stop is right by the hotel and you can ride it to alot of the attractions in Chattanogga. I didnt eat at the Porter's restraunt because I heard it was very expensive, but it looked like a very nice place. The indoor swimming pool was great and the kids liked the little waterfall. Our room was on the 4th floor and was very clean. Its not a very big room but everything was nice. And the beds were very comfortable. I heard the stories about the hotel being haunted before we arrived in Chattanogga, and I normally wouldnt believe in that kind of stuff, but i believe there is something there. Even though we werent in room 311, which is suppose to be the haunted room, we had several strange things happen and heard sounds a couple of times that couldnt be explained by anything else. Overall it was a very good experience staying here and I look foward to coming back this Christmas.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2009

We stayed here one night after getting this hotel on Priceline. This is a nice hotel. Signage is deficient, making the property hard to find, especially at night. There is free parking on the street during the weekend. The hotel is beautiful and well decorated. The front desk person was pleasant. The pool and gym were nice. There are ots of lounging areas and a courtyard, and a steakhouse and a Starbucks onsite. I would recommend this place for a variety of travelers.

Springfield, TN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

Here is a list of what I wish I had known before booking our room:

1) ALL parking is valet, NO free parking unless your stay is on the weekend and you're lucky enough to get a metered spot. (Valet is $15 a night)

2) Main rooms are SMALL! S*M*A*L*L!!!!!!! We had a room with a King size bed and that was it! Upgrade if you can when you book...we tried to when we arrived and all other rooms were sold out.

3) The hotel pictures look like it's a beautiful modern hotel...IT'S NOT modern! I loved the architecture of the old style feel but NOT what were were expecting.

4) With a "non refundable" room, we felt trapped! The room was so hot and it was hard to find the thermostat! (unusually placed behind the bathroom door).

5) The Poter Steak House restaurant in the hotel had great food, but be aware EVERYTHING is ala-cart! We drank water and still had a bill of over $100, and that's with NO salads!

6) The hotel is close to main attractions, it's only a few blocks from the aquarium.

7) Room service closes at 10pm...If you're going to have a late check in, eat before you get there! FYI, there is a local diner that is open 24/7, they serve full menu 14/7 as well...Good "Plan B" if you need one.

I hope this helps some travelers make a more "enlightened" decision to stay here or keep looking....These are things I wish I had known before we booked our room! ;)

~Nashville, TN Travelers

Dunedin, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2009

My husband and I visit Chat. TN 4-6 times a year. We were visiting for an emergency trip last weekend (July18-20 2009). We booked on Expedia.com and got a GREAT Rate @$49.00 a night! *(Retail was around $185 a night) We checked in after 3:00pm and the room was smaller then I expected, but nice and clean. It also had a flat screen TV. We took a dip in the Hot Tub to relax. The hot was not as hot as it should have been. Then we went back to the room to shower and get dressed for dinner. We returned after dinner to get a good night sleep, and here's where the BUT COMES IN. We were in room # 407 right next to the Elevator. There was a wedding that SAT. Night the hotel was busy. The Elevator kept me awake all night. If my husband would have been awake I would have demanded a new room that night, but he was sleeping. The next morning I addressed this issue with the front desk staff who promised me a better room when we returned after 12:00. As promised they had a bellhop move our room to a suit on the 5th floor. (Room 1509). It was a very large room with a sitting area. There was no flat screen TV in the suite. But there was 2 TV's total, one in the bedroom and one in the sitting room. There was also a wet bar in our suit. The bathroom was larger and the bed was a King instead of a Queen. There were no issues after this. I give the hotel staff an A+ on getting my problem resolved. I will be happy to stay here again, just not in the first room we were in. I loved that the hotel has a startbucks and offeres inroom Starbuck coffee to make. The in hotel rest. Porters is VERY VERY OVER PRICED!!!! Drinks are out of this world expensive, but it is nice in there. There Sun. Brunch was only $11 each person, BUT Very disappointing for taste. Last thing to be aware of is the parking is $15 a night!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Read House Historic Inn And Suites? Share your experiences!