“Beautiful property” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Read House Historic Inn And Suites

You added The Read House Historic Inn And Suites to your Saves list
The Read House Historic Inn And Suites
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   827 Broad Street, Chattanooga, TN 37402 (Formerly Sheraton Read House)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #32 of 98 Hotels in Chattanooga
“Beautiful property”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2009

We stayed here one night after getting this hotel on Priceline. This is a nice hotel. Signage is deficient, making the property hard to find, especially at night. There is free parking on the street during the weekend. The hotel is beautiful and well decorated. The front desk person was pleasant. The pool and gym were nice. There are ots of lounging areas and a courtyard, and a steakhouse and a Starbucks onsite. I would recommend this place for a variety of travelers.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Springfield, TN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

Here is a list of what I wish I had known before booking our room:

1) ALL parking is valet, NO free parking unless your stay is on the weekend and you're lucky enough to get a metered spot. (Valet is $15 a night)

2) Main rooms are SMALL! S*M*A*L*L!!!!!!! We had a room with a King size bed and that was it! Upgrade if you can when you book...we tried to when we arrived and all other rooms were sold out.

3) The hotel pictures look like it's a beautiful modern hotel...IT'S NOT modern! I loved the architecture of the old style feel but NOT what were were expecting.

4) With a "non refundable" room, we felt trapped! The room was so hot and it was hard to find the thermostat! (unusually placed behind the bathroom door).

5) The Poter Steak House restaurant in the hotel had great food, but be aware EVERYTHING is ala-cart! We drank water and still had a bill of over $100, and that's with NO salads!

6) The hotel is close to main attractions, it's only a few blocks from the aquarium.

7) Room service closes at 10pm...If you're going to have a late check in, eat before you get there! FYI, there is a local diner that is open 24/7, they serve full menu 14/7 as well...Good "Plan B" if you need one.

I hope this helps some travelers make a more "enlightened" decision to stay here or keep looking....These are things I wish I had known before we booked our room! ;)

~Nashville, TN Travelers

Dunedin, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2009

My husband and I visit Chat. TN 4-6 times a year. We were visiting for an emergency trip last weekend (July18-20 2009). We booked on Expedia.com and got a GREAT Rate @$49.00 a night! *(Retail was around $185 a night) We checked in after 3:00pm and the room was smaller then I expected, but nice and clean. It also had a flat screen TV. We took a dip in the Hot Tub to relax. The hot was not as hot as it should have been. Then we went back to the room to shower and get dressed for dinner. We returned after dinner to get a good night sleep, and here's where the BUT COMES IN. We were in room # 407 right next to the Elevator. There was a wedding that SAT. Night the hotel was busy. The Elevator kept me awake all night. If my husband would have been awake I would have demanded a new room that night, but he was sleeping. The next morning I addressed this issue with the front desk staff who promised me a better room when we returned after 12:00. As promised they had a bellhop move our room to a suit on the 5th floor. (Room 1509). It was a very large room with a sitting area. There was no flat screen TV in the suite. But there was 2 TV's total, one in the bedroom and one in the sitting room. There was also a wet bar in our suit. The bathroom was larger and the bed was a King instead of a Queen. There were no issues after this. I give the hotel staff an A+ on getting my problem resolved. I will be happy to stay here again, just not in the first room we were in. I loved that the hotel has a startbucks and offeres inroom Starbuck coffee to make. The in hotel rest. Porters is VERY VERY OVER PRICED!!!! Drinks are out of this world expensive, but it is nice in there. There Sun. Brunch was only $11 each person, BUT Very disappointing for taste. Last thing to be aware of is the parking is $15 a night!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

We selected this hotel for an overnight stay in Chattanooga, TN on the occasion of our 13th wedding anniversary and couldn't be more pleased. Check in was a breeze. Valet parking available, but we self-parked on the street for free. The lobby smelled like clean linen and I later learned they have tiny fans blowing the scent in several locations around the lobby as part of their "scent of the month" program. Our room was lovely, clean, very spacious, and well appointed. The bed was more than comfortable, and the 3 windows in our suite provided much light. The flat screen LG TV made me feel right at home. I’m somewhat of a shower snob, and our shower far exceeded my expectations. Love those thirsty towels!! We had supper in the hotel restaurant, Porter's Steakhouse and the strip steak club sandwich did not disappoint.

We chose this location because we were attending a concert as part of the free series, "Nightfall", which was within walking distance to our hotel. After the concert, we walked across the street to the City Cafe for a delicious dessert. The City Cafe is adjacent to the Day's Inn and is open 24/7.

The Read House also features an internet cafe, exercise room, and an indoor pool and spa - see photos.

We were just there for one night, but I would stay again in a heartbeat and highly recommend The Sheraton Read House to others.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
tgoulding, Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this review, July 30, 2009
We are very pleased to hear you had such a great time at our hotel and in Chattanooga. We look forward to your next visit.
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

Fortunate to acquire this hotel through Hotwire, we were pleasantly surprised by the beauty and charm of the historical Sheraton Read. This hotel has been renovated with rich, traditional style and is located in the heart of downtown. The rooms were quiet, clean, and comfortable, and equipped with Starbucks coffee, complimentary waters, and free Wi-Fi. While service was a bit slow, they were both professional and courteous.
It is rare to find such a beautiful hotel with fine accomodations for such a great value in the downtown area.
Although we spent little time in our room on this busy fun-filled trip, we would definitely recommend the Sheraton Read and look forward to a return visit!

Lincoln, Ne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2009

The staff at this hotel were extremely nice and upgraded us to a suite (despite having paid $55 on Priceline). Any room ending in 15 has a separate living room with wet bar, couch, chairs, desk and a second tv. The bed was comfortable and the pillows soft. The bathroom was so small, though, that there was no room for any of your personals. The AC could have been a little better. It was a 100 degress that day in Chattanooga though. All in all, a nice historic hotel. We ate down the street at Lupes. Great pizza.

Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
sonny1212
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

I stayed at this hotel with my 3 year old and my girlfriend's 2 small children (3 and 7). The staff was very nice to us and very eager to please. We had to call for things from the front desk and we received service very quickly. I got my rate of $52 per night from priceline.com and with that, you never really know what you are going to get into. we were very pleased with our room. very clean, comfy beds, air was set upon entering our room. The staff was so nice and friendly and willing to help us in any way they could. The only thing that was negative was the parking. I was not aware that I would have to pay $15 per day for Valet parking. I could have gotten a meter or parked down the street, but with a small child, I didn't want to hassle with that. I wish that I would have been advised before getting there. I understand in the city this is the way it works, but I was not aware since i am not from the city.
Our experience was a good one. I hope that others that stay here have the that same experience as we did.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to The Read House Historic Inn And Suites? Share your experiences!