“Average at best” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Read House Historic Inn And Suites

You added The Read House Historic Inn And Suites to your Saves list
The Read House Historic Inn And Suites
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   827 Broad Street, Chattanooga, TN 37402 (Formerly Sheraton Read House)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #33 of 98 Hotels in Chattanooga
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Average at best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Booked this hotel with SPG points. Would NOT have been happy if I was paying my hard earned cash. This hotel is in a great location in downtown Chattanoga with friendly staff that try to make your stay enjoyable, even though I didn't get my SPG gold upgrade as I should. That is about where the good ends. While we loved that this was a historic building with lots of charm, SPG could do MUCH more to keep the property nice and up to date. We decided to go to the indoor pool upon our arrival and were a little shocked to see not only rust stains on the water fountains, but chunks of missing tile in the all behind them leading to an abyss of who only knows what. The room while decent in size, had a desk and dresser directly in front of the bathroom entrance with only about 14 inches to walk through. Good thing no one used the bathroom in the middle of the night. The room also had stains all over the carpet and sofa. The bathroom was DISGUSTING. There was dirt that was literally caked on to the vanity mirror and the picture frame. The cieling had red stains on it and the drain in the shower didn't work. There is NOTHING worse than standing in a pool of water becasue someone else's hair is clogged in the drain. I went to wash my face this morning and when I turned up the hot water the handle nearly came out of the sink. The positive part of this hotel was the valet. Timmy was great. He offered suggestions for us and tried to make us feel welcome.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Jenea P, General Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Our Sheraton is known for superior service and we really blew it for you. I am so sorry. Our team is focused on ensuring we use your comments to improve. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Paducah, KY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

I reserved my room through Priceline so I got a good deal on the room. It was dark and small in the room, a little cluttered. There is no room in the bathroom for toiletries like most rooms. The furniture is outdated and the chair in the room was soiled. The lobby is beautiful but the room is what is the most important. Valet service was nice. The fitness room was excellent. It was the best one in a motel I've ever been to. The housekeeping want the greatest. The coffee cups weren't refilled and after being woke up twice by the housekeeper in less than an hour, we opened the door and asked for one and they didn't have any. While we could've used the door sign, we didn't intend on sleeping in so late but the housekeeper knocked once and before we were able to answer she opened the door. It wasn't locked because we had breakfast delivered. All in all it was just ok. If I had paid regular price though, I would've been ver disappointed.

Athens
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

When you head into the downtown area in Chattanooga the Read House is very unique and beautiful.Unfortunately, staying inside the hotel is a different experience. We had fleas in our first room which is not surprising since they do allow pets but they should have noticed it while doing standard cleaning.The staff was kind and accommodating to our needs when we brought this to their attention and they provided us with another room. During our last night stay, we discovered bugs in this room as well and our basic supplies such as towels were not fully replaced.The beds were uncomfortable as well. After 3 night stay,despite the beautiful lobby and friendly staff, I would not recommend this hotel. Also,beware the downtown area around the hotel is full of panhandlers and get ready for some interesting stories.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Booked through Priceline, then a few reviews worried me, but this hotel was wonderful! Spotless rooms, extremely comfortable beds and bedding (and I am picky!), gorgeous mahogany walls in lobby. This is an historic hotel, but not old in any way. The rooms themselves are beautifully updated with granite, etc. Our corner room was so quiet, you couldn't hear a sound from other rooms. I don't like hotels with thin walls where you hear every time your neighbor opens the door or turns on the sink. Liked that it had a bit of history from The Civil War. Lovely pool and I enjoyed the health club, too. Starbucks in lobby area, walk a few blocks to the restaurants. On Thursday night, the city was dead, not a soul in any restaurant, but on Saturday night, lots of people were around.

Room Tip: We asked for a room with two queens instead of 1king, and were happily accommodated. Maybe ask for a...
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

The only good things about this hotel is the unique historical aspect of the building (including an old mail slot on every floor and old elevator floor dials) and the valet (specifically Timmy - he was awesome! Very upbeat and positive and very hard working! He went above and beyond!)

The rest of our experience was terrible. The front staff that gave us a recommendation for dinner was dressed very sloppy (torn clothing, dirty jacket, etc). The front staff for the rest of our stay kept referring us to eat at the hotel restaurant. (We didn't come all the way to Chattanooga to eat at a hotel.)

The room was dark and small with a view of a stone wall. The interior was badly in need of updating. No bathrobes. I should have used hearing protection when blow drying my hair the hair dryer was so loud. The bed was terrible - mostly because there was a loose mattress pad and extra big top sheet that kept bunching up in the middle of the bed when we were in the bed. The housekeeping service was AWFUL. They came the first day and took our towels but didn't give us new ones. Forgot to refresh our shampoo and conditioner and forgot to replace the coffee and coffee cups. Seriously all they did was make the bed and take all our towels. The second day we opted out of housekeeping service, but we were still annoyed because the housekeepers kept slamming all of the next door neighbor doors on the deadbolts, which made very loud noises. This made it impossible to rest at all.

So in all, don't stay here. Find somewhere else which may have more charm and character and cares a little more about quality control and making the customer feel at home/feel happy.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

When you arrive you feel you are in a 5 star hotel. The rooms were not as nice as the entrance. We were very disappointed as they had an amazing indoor pool, but closed it right when we arrived for a photo shoot. I understand that it had to be done, but my kids were so looking forward to swimming because they were in the car for 6 hours. Overall, u would of preferred to stay a little closer to all the restauaubts as well. Starbucks was great in the hotel! That was a plus!

Upstate New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

While traveling from Upstate New York to Georgia and back, my daughter and I came across this hotel by doing a quick Google search of the area and took a chance and booked a room for the night. To our surprise - this hotel was much more than we ever expected! The building itself is amazing with all the beautiful architecture! The rooms were very clean and extra-large giving you plenty of room to move around; and the beds were more than comfortable. One of the best parts of our stay though was the staff - they were extremely friendly, helpful and informative and even told us a little bit about the history of the building and went out of their way to show my daughter and I an area we were curious about. Just to name a few of the staff members who went out of their way to help us.......Ken, Dan and Roy.......THANK YOU sooo much for a wonderful stay in Chattanooga, we appreciated it very much!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Read House Historic Inn And Suites? Share your experiences!