“Only Place To Stay In Chattanooga” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #30 of 95 hotels in Chattanooga
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Only Place To Stay In Chattanooga”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Had a great weekend in the Noog staying with the Sheraton Read House Hotel. The location is awesome, the building is magnificent, but the big deal here is the incredible service from the staff. The guys working the valet were especially great. The hotel is located close to all kinds of hot spots, including the City Cafe which is a 24 hour diner. Thanks for the great stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room...rooms are okay, the bathroom was really beat, but the corner room is the way...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Paul M, General Manager at Sheraton Read House Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
My sincere thanks to you both for your feedback and for staying with us here at the historic Sheraton Read House Hotel in downtown Chattanooga, TN - I am happy to read that you enjoyed your visit and our facilities here. Most of all I appreciate your kind comments about our staff members; we really do strive to provide the highest level of personalized service possible and it is always heartening to learn when we are succeeding. I agree with you about our location - did you have the chance to utilize the city's Electric Shuttle service? We have our very own "Read House" stop on the route that takes you right down to the Riverfront areas and back. I hope you will choose to visit us again and thanks once more for your business!

767 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed at the Sheraton Read House Hotel for 2 nights. This was a Priceline bidding win so we didn't have a choice in where to stay in town, but we totally got a winner! I am an SPG member, so we got placed on the SPG floor in the older wing of the hotel. I say "older wing" but the rooms were updated and modern, it was just in the older part of the hotel. Free bottled water/Starbucks Coffee/Tazo Teas were in the room. The room was spacious and quiet. The AC worked wonderfully. The hallways and public areas were very clean and marvelously maintained. Shower pressure was adequate, but vanity space was limited. No refrigerator in the room, but an ice machine near by. There is a restaurant downstairs with a swanky bar where we had a few drinks. Adjacent to that is a Starbucks, which was nice for a morning latte.

We heard parking was $15 for valet, but never had to valet our car because there were ample meter spaces surrounding the hotel that were free on the weekends. If I was staying during the week or a busy time in Chattanooga I would definitely use the valet (our friends used it and said the service was great), but if you are there on a slow weekend, use the meter spaces if you want to save some $.

The hotel is close to most everything. Walkable to the River Walk, pedestrian bridge, and Aquarium. Lots of great restaurants in that area with many price points as well. Something for everyone. We are beer snobs so the Honest Pint was a welcome late night spot :-)

The staff was polite, knowledgeable, and accommodating. I will definitely stay in this hotel again on future trips to/through Chattanooga. Oh, and they say this place is haunted, but I definitely did not get visited by any ghosts on our trip, despite my spooky exploration to the third floor, woooo :-) If you stay, take a peak at the Silver Ballroom on the second floor. It is gorgeous!! Thanks for the wonderful time, Read House!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Paul M, General Manager at Sheraton Read House Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
I am so very grateful to you for taking the time to write such kind and detailed comments about your recent with us here at the historic Sheraton Read House Hotel in downtown Chattanooga, TN. While I recognize that you came to us via Priceline I am certainly glad you did, particularly since you are an SPG Member - what a great coincidence! It is very pleasing to learn that you enjoyed your overall visit and felt our staff took such good care of you. I note your comment about Valet vs. street parking; just remember that you park on the street at your own risk vs. in our covered garage which is staffed 24/7; our customers do not have to deal with any inclement weather. I could not agree with you more about our Silver Ballroom which dates back to 1926 - definitely one of our treasures of which we are most proud, along with our Lobby. As to our being "haunted", I can tell you that it is nonsense and there is nothing to this; just a rumor that got started somewhere in the past and took on a life of its own (no pun intended!) Thanks again for your business and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I was able to score a great deal for the Sheraton Read House on one of the travel sites. The hotel is well located, easily within walking distance to the riverfront and aquarium. The surrounding area seemed safe enough, though there were plenty of vacant store fronts for a couple blocks until we were closer to the Aquarium. The hotel offers valet parking only - but reasonably priced with unlimited in/out, so it was perfectly acceptable. Check-in staff was friendly. We had a 6th floor room. It was spacious for an older hotel, but with slightly odd furniture placement, but that's no big deal. The bathroom was small with only a pedestal sink, but clean and well appointed. The bed was super comfortable - The Starwood Brand has some exceptionally nice mattresses. Must get one of them at home!

My only complaint was that I tried to call housekeeping for extra towels and to have them put linens on the sofa bed, but the phone rang and rang! After a few minutes, I tried the hotel's main number and the poor operator said she'd been on break and apologized. She was very efficient and helpful. Just seemed nobody had the memo that they needed to answer the phones while she was away from her desk. Not a big deal.

I'd definitely stay here again and recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: The windows aren't exactly noise-proof. If you are a light sleeper and traffic noise bothers you...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your recent visit with us here at the historic Sheraton Read House in downtown Chattanooga, TN; I am so very happy to know you enjoyed your stay and felt we met your overall expectations. I totally agree with you about the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed - if you are really serious about purchasing one please contact us here so we can give you the information, or you can visit the Sheraton.com site. I apologize about our failure to answer the phone as you described; while I appreciate your understanding we need to be on top of these things. I realize you came to us via a third-party site but I do thank you for your business and your kind comments; I do hope you will choose to stay with us again the next time your travels bring you back to Chattanooga.
Salisbury, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

What is NOT to love about the Sheraton Read House? We loved everything! We checked in quite late on our first night, but no problem...Roy the valet was there ready and waiting to assist us. This place is quite historical and more that worth the time to visit and stay. The location in downtown Chattanooga is perfect for catching the city's trolley-car system, which makes everything easy to get around to. Good front desk service, more than adequate daily housekeeping/room service, very nice fitness room and pool area and lastly but not least the outstanding PORTER'S restaurant anchored in the corner of the hotel lobby, OUTSTANDING! We had a very special breakfast in the private Chef's room (ask management about this). Delectable egg-white omelette, french toast w/blueberry compote or choose from the breakfast buffet. The locals also agree the best steak in town!
There is also a Starbucks (nice and big) in the lobby area across from PORTER'S which stays hopping morning, noon and night.
This was a lovely find for a group of girlfiends on and excursion weekend.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Paul M, General Manager at Sheraton Read House Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to wrtite such wonderful comments about your recent visit here at the historic Sheraton Read House in downtown Chattanooga, TN - I am so very pleased that you and your friends enjoyed your visit and that you all felt we took such good care of you. In addition it is great to learn that you took the opportunity to experience just about all that we have to offer here, i.e. our Pool, Fitness Center, Starbucks etc. Of course, your feedback about our Porter's Steakhouse is music to my ears - I am thrilled you all enjoyed it! Rest assured that I will share your feedback with the entire staff there. Thank you so much for staying with us; I know you have many lodging choices here in Chattanooga and I am honored that you all selected us. Please visit us again should your travels bring you back our way!
Aurora, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

We were given two rooms on the SPG floor; 6th floor.

Upon disembarking the elevator there is an old musty smell. We went to the vending area and the area where there would have been soda/ snack vending had obvious signs of water damage... vending had been removed. Ice machine was still present.

One room had a large hole in the carpet where it meets the entry tile. The window seal was broken for so long that you could barely see out of the window. there was obvious signs of continuing water damage above the window. The bath tub finish was worn away. It looked as though refinish repair was attempted which had also worn away. Grout was dirty and broken. Shower flow was good. Beds squeak upon slightest movement. Robe in closet had stain on left sleeve.

Other room; repaired water damage above window which is of such poor quality that your attention is immediately drawn to it. Windows had greasy handprints. A/C set at 61F but still would not stay on to cool room. No robe in closet.

Room service; soup, baked potato and soda were highlights. The rest of the food was awful. Even the turkey sandwich was awful! Service was quick and friendly.

Valet service was quick and friendly.

Check in and out was very easy.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Paul M, General Manager at Sheraton Read House Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
I really appreciate you taking the time to share your comments about your recent visit with us here but I am truly heartsick about your experience. It is true that we are an older facility and we did experience a leak in the 6th Floor Vending area that you reference; however, there are simply no excuses for the condition issues in the room you describe and I have actually taken it out-of-order until the proper repairs can be completed. I am so very, very, sorry that we failed to meet your expectations; this was not typical of what we have to offer and I hope you will accept my aplogies. Please consider giving us another chance as I am confident we can regain your trust. Thank you for the kind words about our Valet Parking and Front desk staff.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

Stayed here for one night last week enroute from Atlanta to Nashville. Location is pretty central.

Fantastic service from the front desk. I arrived late (11pm) and the front desker realised this and expedited my check-in.

Rooms are large but overall a little tired. Could do with a little freshening up. But, this is a minor niggle as this hotel is suitable for a short business stay.

Room Tip: No real guidance. My room was on the major road side but I couldn't hear any traffic.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thanks so much for staying with here at the historic Sheraton Read House in downtown Chattanooga, TN, during your recent travels from Atlanta to Nashville - we appreciate your business. Thank you, especially, for your kind comments about our Front Desk staff. I note your feedback about our product and do agree with you - renovation plans are currently in process. I hope you will think of staying with us again should you drive through Chattanooga again in the future.
Nashville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

Beautiful old hotel in the heart of everything in Chattanooga. Very well maintained with wonderful lobby. The fine woodwork was everywhere but painfully so were loud,unpleasant and unruly guests checking in at the same time. The were all part of something big. Shouting at each other across the lobby with small children running around screaming and yelling with no supervision. I thought about going somewhere else for a while and checking back, We got to our room and all was forgotten. Left for dinner later and no sight of the unrulies. This couldn't be blamed on the hotel but if I hadn't had reservations, I might have walked. I hate to be critical of anyone or anyplace but I'm not sure I'll make reservations here again.

Room Tip: If the lobby is full, run.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
I am grateful to you for deciding to stay with us here at the historic Sheraton Read House Hotel in downtown Chattanooga, TN; thanks for your comments about our Lobby - it dates back to 1926. As to the other customers you mentioned, I really do not know what to tell you about that as I received no reports of any concern along the lines you reference - I am sure this was just coincidence. Please do not allow that to deter you from staying with us again as we would love to have you return next time your travels bring you back this way.

Been to Sheraton Read House Hotel? Share your experiences!